none
How to identify precisely Windows Edition from WSUS update data

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

As explained in MSDN documents, WSUS server uses the table found at this link to determine the name/version of windows OS.

When we examine WSUS traffic between a local WSUS server and a workstation (of which we know already the Windows OS), we find some missing information that should be there such that WSUS server correctly identifies Windows OS. The provided information matches several Windows OS in the table.

I imagine that a precise identification of Windows version/name is crucial to send the right updates. So, my question is: Does WSUS use other mechanisms to precisely identify the Windows OS version/name? Or maybe it uses information not shown in the so-called table such as <Build>, <Revision>?

Also, we noticed that new Windows OSes such as Windows 7 and Windows 2008 does not show on the table. Is there another updated table somewhere else?

Thanks,

Masgad

04 Juli 2012 19:08

Jawaban

• Hi,

As explained in MSDN documents, WSUS server uses the table found at this link to determine the name/version of windows OS.

The original post has a defective link; please use the link in this quote to get to the intended MSDN page.

I imagine that a precise identification of Windows version/name is crucial to send the right updates.

Nope. Because WSUS does not send updates at all. The Windows Update Agent (which is intimately familiar with the version of the OS that is running on the local machine) requests only those updates that are applicable to that specific installed OS. The WUAgent sends specific basic machine identification information, such as the installed OS, purely for display in the WSUS console for the benefit of the patch administrator using that console.

So, my question is: Does WSUS use other mechanisms to precisely identify the Windows OS version/name?

The WUAgent uses the OS build number, or OSMajorVersion and OSMinorVesion and OSServicePackMajorNumber identifiers -- depending on how the update package has been defined.. The build number is enumerated. I believe you mistake here is equating the *XML* SOAP message that the WUAgent sends to the WSUS server

with any supposed table structures that may or may not exist. The cited page does not describe a database table structure as you seem to have assumed.

Also, we noticed that new Windows OSes such as Windows 7 and Windows 2008 does not show on the table.

Which is a really great indication of how long it's been since this document (or any of the WUAgent API documentation) has been updated.

But you can find some additional information on how the WUAgent processes update detection logic in the WSUS API: Creating Update Metadata and the System Center SCUP documentation:  Updates Publisher Rules.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

05 Juli 2012 17:19

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

The original post has a defective link; please use the link in this quote to get to the intended MSDN page.

I imagine that a precise identification of Windows version/name is crucial to send the right updates.

Nope. Because WSUS does not send updates at all. The Windows Update Agent (which is intimately familiar with the version of the OS that is running on the local machine) requests only those updates that are applicable to that specific installed OS. The WUAgent sends specific basic machine identification information, such as the installed OS, purely for display in the WSUS console for the benefit of the patch administrator using that console.

So, my question is: Does WSUS use other mechanisms to precisely identify the Windows OS version/name?

The WUAgent uses the OS build number, or OSMajorVersion and OSMinorVesion and OSServicePackMajorNumber identifiers -- depending on how the update package has been defined.. The build number is enumerated. I believe you mistake here is equating the *XML* SOAP message that the WUAgent sends to the WSUS server

with any supposed table structures that may or may not exist. The cited page does not describe a database table structure as you seem to have assumed.

Also, we noticed that new Windows OSes such as Windows 7 and Windows 2008 does not show on the table.

Which is a really great indication of how long it's been since this document (or any of the WUAgent API documentation) has been updated.

But you can find some additional information on how the WUAgent processes update detection logic in the WSUS API: Creating Update Metadata and the System Center SCUP documentation:  Updates Publisher Rules.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

05 Juli 2012 17:19
  • Mr Garvin, many thanks for these clarifications.
    09 Juli 2012 14:11