none
DFS Setup

Pertanyaan

• Hi, I'm researching rolling out DFS in our company for HA and Backup purposes.  All our DC's and member servers are minimum 2003 R2 SP2.  I'm wondering if the below sounds like a good plan or not?

Site A is HQ, B and C secondary sites.
    Site A and B are connected by a 1Gb private link.
    Site A and C are connected by 10 Mb internet VPN
    Site A has several remote offices connected by internet VPN

I plan to amalgamate the file servers in site A and B into one file server based in site A HQ.

Then setup replication for all shared folders to a file server in site B.

If the file server goes down in either site users will be able to access the file server with the same shares on the other site without downtime.

I also plan to setup replication between site A and Site C/ remote sites.

All backing up can be done from site A.

I plan to create one namespace with the format:

\\DomainName\Rootname\SiteAName\shared folders
    \\DomainName\Rootname\SiteBName\shared folders
    \\DomainName\Rootname\SiteCName\shared folders
    \\DomainName\Rootname\RemoteSiteName\shared folders

I don't have any previous experience of DFS so hopefully someone can tell me if the above seems ok and if it's possible?

Cheers

27 Februari 2012 21:22

Jawaban

• I'll have a try :)

1. Create the DFS namespace \\domain\root.

2. Create a subfolder named folderA, add the folderA located on both serverA (in siteA) and serverB (in siteB) as 2 folder targets. They 2 folder targets should be replicated so the contents are the same. When serverA is down, users will be directed to serverB and see the same contents.

A picture should be helpful:

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

02 Maret 2012 8:53

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

From the description it seems should be:

\\domainname\root\<folderA>

\\domainname\root\<folderB>

Then the folder targets of folderA are the "folderA" located in file servers of both siteA and siteB. Then if siteA is lost, users will be directed to siteB (failover).

For replication, it could be created separately (unrelated to DFS namespace). You could add "folderA" in all sites to a same replication group if needed.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

28 Februari 2012 9:29
  • Hi Shaon,  thanks for the reply.

I don't quite understand your reply though could you elaborate?

I would like to divide my DFS structure by using folder to devine regions around the world.  The I want to put the shared folders in these folders.

28 Februari 2012 10:32
  • I'll have a try :)

1. Create the DFS namespace \\domain\root.

2. Create a subfolder named folderA, add the folderA located on both serverA (in siteA) and serverB (in siteB) as 2 folder targets. They 2 folder targets should be replicated so the contents are the same. When serverA is down, users will be directed to serverB and see the same contents.

A picture should be helpful:

02 Maret 2012 8:53