none
WMI wbemtest Win32_process Create CommandLine cmd.exe ReturnValue 3 Insufficient Privilege - HELP!!!

Pertanyaan

• With rare but increasing frequency, I hit systems where when I use wbemtest to launch a WMI remote Win32_process that runs a cmd.exe I get a ReturnValue of 3 - Insufficient Privileges. I have ensured that COM and WMI persmissions are correct (I get return values of 2 - access denied - if these settings are not correct). I cannot even duplicate an insufficient privilege return value here in the office, it's always at a customer *sigh* I've poured through many wmidiag log files, I don't believe wmi permissions are causing this. The customer claims to be using an adminstrative account... I'm at my wits end...

What kind of things would cause this insufficient privilege return value?

Any thoughts warmly welcomed... Rob
    04 Juni 2009 18:29

Jawaban

• Hi,

This error was caused by incorrect Security configuration. Please try the steps below to check settings:

1.    On problem clients, run "gpedit.msc", navigate to:

[Check Computer Config/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignments]

2.    Find "Replace a process level token", add the following account to the list if they are not listed.

SYSTEM
    Local Service
    Network Service

3.    Check if the issue was resolved. If not, add above accounts to "Adjust Memory Quotas for Process Properties"

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh rmcateer 08 Juni 2009 20:17
    08 Juni 2009 7:38

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

This error was caused by incorrect Security configuration. Please try the steps below to check settings:

1.    On problem clients, run "gpedit.msc", navigate to:

[Check Computer Config/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignments]

2.    Find "Replace a process level token", add the following account to the list if they are not listed.

SYSTEM
    Local Service
    Network Service

3.    Check if the issue was resolved. If not, add above accounts to "Adjust Memory Quotas for Process Properties"

Thanks.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh rmcateer 08 Juni 2009 20:17
    08 Juni 2009 7:38
  • Wow, playing with "Replace a process level token" group members can cause the 3 - Insufficient Privileges return code. What I've discovered is that after I change it, I have to reboot the machine to have the changes take effect, a Reload on the Security Settings won't make the changes immediately active! I've played around with that setting recently, but didn't reboot...

And the "Replace a process level token" accounts at the first customer I'm investigating do not include the user(s) in question. Unfortunately, the customer has those properties applied automatically (GPO?), the "Add User or Group" and "Remove" button are grayed out... They will have to solve that one...

So I've got something to work on and learned that changes to those properties are not immediately active. \

Thanks a bunch.
    Rob.
    08 Juni 2009 20:17
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the information is helpful.

Generally speaking, we need to reboot the machine to make sure configuration under Computer Configuration take effect. If you have more questions in the future, you’re welcomed to this forum.

Thanks. 

09 Juni 2009 1:58
  • Hello, Mervyn,

Thank you for sharing this info with us. It fixed my problem with "Insufficient Priveleges" when I invoked the "Create" method of the ManagementBaseObject (WMI) on a remote server. Honestly I was digging much with no luck until I found your posting.

Nuren 

05 Oktober 2011 11:31
  • Hello,

Could you share with the community the specific setting and value that you had to configure in order for this to work properly? The customer I'm with has defined the following settings in GPO, and I am getting the "Insufficient Privileges" error from the Win32_Process.Create() method.

• Adjust memory quotas for a process
    • NETWORK SERVICE
    • LOCAL SERVICE
    • Administrators
    • Replace a process level token
    • LOCAL SERVICE
    • NETWORK SERVICE

According to the "Explain" tab of each of these two GPO settings, the default values are in place. Are there any other settings you'd suggest looking at?

Cheers

If this post was helpful, please click the little "Vote as Helpful" button :)

Trevor Sullivan
    http://trevorsullivan.net

26 Oktober 2011 15:19