none
WSUS taking a very long time to download updates

Pertanyaan

• I set up a new WSUS server a week ago and when I go to Updates > All Updates, under the "Status Rollup" column, about 2/3 of the updates still report "The update is downloading."  Do I just need to give them more time to download or could I be missing part of the configuration?

Some background info: Upon installation, I kicked off a manual synchronization.  The next day I went through the database and approved all updates that were released over a month ago.  Since then, 7 more synchronizations have gone off and all register as Succeeded.

I have my GPO set correctly; my test computers are reporting in and being managed by WSUS; and have successfully received and installed a few updates already.  Additionally, I'm still seeing a decent amount of CPU, Disk, and Network activity on the server.

This is the first WSUS server I've created and just want to make sure this is normal behavior and that I just need to wait for it all to download.  If it is not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Alex Blaine

28 Juni 2012 1:38

Jawaban

• I set up a new WSUS server a week ago and when I go to Updates > All Updates, under the "Status Rollup" column, about 2/3 of the updates still report "The update is downloading."  Do I just need to give them more time to download or could I be missing part of the configuration?

This really depends on a couple of things:

How many updates did you approve? If you approved thousands of updates (arguably overkill) then it might take several weeks for them all to download -- particularly if several of them are service packs in the hundreds of megabytes range.

Or, it might be that something is blocking those downloads. The question is whether they're going very slowly, or they've stopped completely. You'll need to monitor the main page of the WSUS console to determine that. Also, you should review the Application Event Log to see if any download failures have been logged.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

01 Juli 2012 20:53

Semua Balasan

This really depends on a couple of things:

How many updates did you approve? If you approved thousands of updates (arguably overkill) then it might take several weeks for them all to download -- particularly if several of them are service packs in the hundreds of megabytes range.

Or, it might be that something is blocking those downloads. The question is whether they're going very slowly, or they've stopped completely. You'll need to monitor the main page of the WSUS console to determine that. Also, you should review the Application Event Log to see if any download failures have been logged.

01 Juli 2012 20:53
  • Same problem here I only download a couple a day and I did approve many 1k's (166GB worth).  Is MS throttling me?  I have a 100MB pipe to the internet that is less then 3% loaded this holiday week.

05 Juli 2012 16:58
  • Same problem here I only download a couple a day and I did approve many 1k's (166GB worth).

Probably about 10x what would be normal.

Is MS throttling me?

No. It's a natural design artifact of WSUS. Downloads occur using BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and are designed to run "in the background" and using "available bandwidth".

I have a 100MB pipe to the internet that is less then 3% loaded this holiday week.

But if you have a Gigabit NIC in the server that's 95% loaded, the available bandwidth on your Internet pipe really doesn't factor into the equation.

Also, of course, bandwidth consumption can be managed or capped via Group Policy.

05 Juli 2012 21:07
  • I'm having this same issue.  My WSUS has been download 8 updates for the past 2 weeks.  Total of only about 150 mb.  The network monitor shows very little network activity and the Application log shows an error "The server is failing to downlaod some udpates." but doesn't give a reason or error code.

If one of the 8 updates is stuck and stopping the others from downloading how do I clear out that one update that is failing?

Is it possible to dedicate a certain percentage of bandwidth on the server to downloading updates?  Or even to tell BITS to use all the bandwidth during a certain time of day so that downloads complete faster?

Thanks,

Jared

06 Juli 2013 16:24
  • the Application log shows an error "The server is failing to downlaod some udpates." but doesn't give a reason or error code.

You need to find the EventID 364s in the AppEventLog.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

08 Juli 2013 1:52