none
WSUS: SoftwareDistribution\Download folder names, are these random or can they be identified?

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

We are working on a Disk Space Management solution, outside WSUS,  to manage the "SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder on Client Systems.

We would like to know if the folder names under this Download folder are random names, or if they can be identified (matched) against a value (for example patch number).

I am speaking about the folder where the patch data is stored in, for example "14d19c27b28cc3990260d7191f6e0ff6c7483623" in "%windir%\softwaredistribution\download".

If any one has an idea where these folder names are coming from this would help us a lot.

Thx in advance.

greetz,
    Steve

Wkr, Steve

27 Juni 2012 12:20

Jawaban

• We would like to know if the folder names under this Download folder are random names, or if they can be identified (matched) against a value (for example patch number).

The filenames are derived from the SHA-1 hash (on Win8/WS2012 the SHA-256 hash) of the installation filename, and can be derived from the WSUS console using the "File Information" option from the context menu of a selected update. (It can also be retrieved from the database using the API.)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

24 Mei 2013 16:18

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

We are working on a Disk Space Management solution, outside WSUS,  to manage the "SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder on Client Systems.

We would like to know if the folder names under this Download folder are random names, or if they can be identified (matched) against a value (for example patch number).

I am speaking about the folder where the patch data is stored in, for example "14d19c27b28cc3990260d7191f6e0ff6c7483623" in "%windir%\softwaredistribution\download".

If any one has an idea where these folder names are coming from this would help us a lot.

Thx in advance.

greetz,
    Steve

Wkr, Steve

Not sure how the file names are created, but I do know that the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder are temporary and only stay there for a couple of months. At least the Download folder contents. In my opinon, I think that the SoftwareDistribution folder should be managed by the client since WSUS needs this folder to deploy accurate windows updates to the client. YMMV.

A flash drive, well that adds yet another wrinkle into the issue. Sorry I could not help you wthi this question. :(

• Diedit oleh antwesor 05 Juli 2012 15:49
    27 Juni 2012 12:48
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    Indeed in a normal WSUS implementation this folder is managed by the WUA client.
    But for 1 major customer (+10.000 seats) we need to manage the disk capacity centrally, and WSUS content is also part of this management solution.
    Biggest issue is that the disk capacity is only 2GB, so we cannot allow the SoftwareDistribution/Download folder to keep all data locally cahced after a patch is applied correctly.
    We can identify already in our centrally managed solution which patches have been installed on which system, but we also need to identify for installed patches which local cahced folder can be removed or not.

Wkr, Steve

29 Juni 2012 9:01
  • Hi,

I think what you consider should be to add the disk capacity for the SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.Folder in the "%windir\softwaredistribution\download" stands for the update file. It is downloaded and managed by WUA.

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

02 Juli 2012 3:39
  • Hi,

If I understand the reply correctly it's not possible to add disk capacity, since this is a flash disk which is not extendable or replacable.

That's why we created an application to manage the WSUS sync & approval, triggering WUA and we also want to include now WUA caching management.

greetz,

Steve

Wkr, Steve

05 Juli 2012 15:06
  • Biggest issue is that the disk capacity is only 2GB

I suspect there's more to this backstory that would be relevant to the question and need. Is this =2GB= total capacity, or =2GB= free space after OS installation? Either way, with only 2GB free space (forget it being total capacity), you'll find it difficult to address several Windows OS maintenance issues, not just installing of updates.

Then again... I just did a monthly patching cycle on my Win7 x64 system, and my ~\Download folder has <200MB of content. On a well-functioning machine, that content will be automatically deleted 10 days after successful installation (long before my next patching cycle).

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

24 Mei 2013 16:17
  • We would like to know if the folder names under this Download folder are random names, or if they can be identified (matched) against a value (for example patch number).

The filenames are derived from the SHA-1 hash (on Win8/WS2012 the SHA-256 hash) of the installation filename, and can be derived from the WSUS console using the "File Information" option from the context menu of a selected update. (It can also be retrieved from the database using the API.)

SolarWinds Head Geek

24 Mei 2013 16:18