none
Newly-spawned application window inside TS session does not have focus

Discussione generale

• Windows 2008 Server

Mixture of Windows XPSP3 Pro and 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 Pro clients.

We run an accounting package (Sage MAS90) on this new terminal server. When we click a link on the menu to spawn a new process, the first application called correctly pops up and asks for the accounting date, and then the resulting applicaiton window correctly becomes the active window. However, all subsequent calls from with the main dashboard/menu to spawn applications result in the main dashboard/menu continuing to have the focus and the newly-spawned application window opening behind the window from which it was called.

This is particularly a problem in that we are setting the environment in the users' AD profiles to force-run the main MAS90 application, there is no taskbar on the server, so when a window opens behind like this, the user cannot tell without first minimizing or restoring MAS90.

I understand this coudl be an application-specific problem, so I will post this qiestopm to a MAS90 forum if this is not a general terminal server issue.

lunedì 10 dicembre 2012 21:15

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

I agree. We should post this issue at the application vender forum. And I will change the thread as discussion, hope other community members can share their experiences.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

lunedì 17 dicembre 2012 02:13
    Moderatore
  • I did post this to the vendor forum; I just had no proof that this was not a more general terminal services issue without posting here to see if anyone has experienced this with any other applications. I have as yet no responses in that forum, either, so I still cannot tell if it is a TS setup issue or software-specific. 
    lunedì 17 dicembre 2012 05:56
  • After all this time, it finally came out that this is, indeed, a terminal server issue. It relates to this registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Changing the  value of ForegroundLockTimeout from 200000 to 0 solved the problem. This undoubtedly has implications, possible adverse ones, on other applications; however, in this environment, the application requiring the fix is the only one the users run on the terminal server, so this resolved the issue.

When I now search for this specific registry entry, I get many results relating to many different programs, but when I posted here and searched elsewhere for posts relating to the symptoms, I came up empty-handed. Sometimes searching by the symptoms does not bring up any results--one has to search by the solution, which is difficult when one has access only to the symptoms.

lunedì 11 marzo 2013 14:05