none
WSUS, SQL Server 2012

Domanda

• Hi All,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me or provide some additional direction/feedback to aid in our investigations.

We are installing WSUS using Server Manager on Windows Server 2012 Server, the database is on another server with SQL Server 2012 SP1 and has a pre-created contained database in a SQL AO-AG but during the WSUS install, it keeps failing, the exact error message is as per below.

.... Log File to be added soon ....

When letting Server Manager create the database as opposed to pre-creating it, it works fine therefore implying that it is either the pre-creation or the containment type that is causing it to get upset.

Has anyone seen this before and/or know what the stance is in terms of support with the above as information seems to be somewhat scarce :-(

giovedì 7 marzo 2013 11:58

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• In addition to this the error message given in the logs is as follows, the top part is cut off as the bottom appears to be the most "interesting/useful"...

2013-03-07 11:25:29  Configuring database...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Configuring the database...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Establishing DB connection...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Checking to see if database exists...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Database exists
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Switching database to single user mode...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  Loading install type query...
    2013-03-07 11:25:29  DECLARE @currentScriptVersion   int
    DECLARE @currentDBVersion       int
    IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM sys.databases WHERE name='SUSDB')
    BEGIN
        SELECT 1
    END
    ELSE
    BEGIN
        SET @currentScriptVersion = (9200 + 16384)
        SET @currentDBVersion = (SELECT SchemaVersion FROM SUSDB.dbo.tbSchemaVersion WHERE ComponentName = 'CoreDB')
        IF @currentDBVersion < 926
        BEGIN
            SELECT 3
        END
        ELSE IF @currentDBVersion < @currentScriptVersion
        BEGIN
            SELECT 2
        END
        ELSE IF @currentDBVersion = @currentScriptVersion
        BEGIN
            SELECT 0
        END
        ELSE
        BEGIN
            SELECT 4
        END
    END

2013-03-07 11:25:29  System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'SUSDB.dbo.tbSchemaVersion'.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteGetSingleResult()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.GetInstallType()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.ConnectToDB()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    ClientConnectionId:962a8658-6613-43ea-9e08-4864d4799eb1

Fatal Error: Invalid object name 'SUSDB.dbo.tbSchemaVersion'.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated

venerdì 8 marzo 2013 09:32
  • We are installing WSUS using Server Manager on Windows Server 2012 Server, the database is on another server with SQL Server 2012 SP1

First note of significance... WSUS has not yet been announced as supported on SQL Server 2012. Inasmuch as the SQL code contained in WSUS was written in the 2006-2007 time frame, and thus written to the SQL v9 (SQL 2005) specifications, it's highly likely that there are incompatibilities between the code, and the capabilities of SQL Server 2012. To use a remote SQL Server, you should install SQL Server 2008 R2, or use the local Windows Internal Database on Windows Server 2012.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

venerdì 8 marzo 2013 23:30
    Moderatore
  • First note of significance... WSUS has not yet been announced as supported on SQL Server 2012.

Ahem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852344.aspx#BKMK_1_1

Not supported on SQL2012, but apparently *is* supported on SQL20012....

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Modificato DonPick sabato 9 marzo 2013 09:04
    sabato 9 marzo 2013 09:04
  • Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay and thank you both for the feedback, that said with SQL 2012 supported for both local and remote I don't suppose you have any additional thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Many Thanks

Andy

giovedì 14 marzo 2013 12:58
  • it might be either the SQL SP1, or the containment type.

I don't know much about diagnosing SQL. it seems like it has issue with the select for
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'SUSDB.dbo.tbSchemaVersion'

but it earlier had no issue with sys.databases (assumption on my part)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

giovedì 14 marzo 2013 20:20
  • Can't you just delete the databse and let WSUS create it ?

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

lunedì 18 marzo 2013 20:57
  • Thanks Adrian,

That is how we have "worked around" the issue for the time being and it works fine, however the customer would like the database containment to be set to "Contained" which the installer will not set when letting it do it by itself and I can't find anything that says whether or not this "should" work :-(

Thanks

Andy

martedì 19 marzo 2013 12:20
  • I don't suppose you have any additional thoughts on troubleshooting this?

the database is on another server with SQL Server 2012 SP1 and has a pre-created contained database in a SQL AO-AG but during the WSUS install

Yep. Absolutely the pre-created database. The WSUS installer NEEDS to create its own database or FIND a database that was created with the proper access rights, accounts, etc.

The question would be *how* you went about pre-creating this database.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

martedì 21 maggio 2013 22:40
    Moderatore
  • the customer would like the database containment to be set to "Contained"

This is the point at which I would argue that the consultanteducates the customer that the product doesn't work that way, and unless the customer has a very critical business need for such practices, and is willing to pay $$$ for the dozens of hours of research it would take to reverse engineer an installation requirement that is not documented and not supported, that's just the way it's gonna be.

=or=

Create the database on an off-site Win2012/SQL2012 environment using the installer, don't perform the setup wizard. Detach the database and bring it to the customer as their "new, contained, pre-created" database, and let them believe whatever makes them happy.

SolarWinds Head Geek

martedì 21 maggio 2013 22:44
    Moderatore
  • First note of significance... WSUS has not yet been announced as supported on SQL Server 2012.

Ahem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852344.aspx#BKMK_1_1

Not supported on SQL2012, but apparently *is* supported on SQL20012...

Hmmm.. I'd still argue that it's not been properly 'announced'... although some of this goes to too many documentation sets in too many places, and I've already been vocally whining to the WSUS Product Team about that problem.

The cited reference above was originally published as *BETA* documentation in February, 2012. Seems it was updated on Feb 14, 2013 (about three weeks before my reply above). Since I've unilaterally ignored this particular document, as it's generally worthless anyway (consider the dozens of articles that exist in the WSUS v3 Deployment Guide that don't even get mention in this WSUS v6 deployment guide). It's no great surprise (to me) that I was unaware of the recent change.

I would note, however, being pedantic about it as I'm won't to be from time to time... that since this note only appears in this document, it would seem that only WSUS v6 is actually supported on SQL2012 -- and that actually makes sense, inasmuch as both WSUS v6 and SQL2012 require .NET4, and WSUS v3.2 don't do .NET4.

SolarWinds Head Geek

martedì 21 maggio 2013 22:48
    Moderatore