none
Windows 2003 Server and Folder Size and Access Denied

Domanda

• I have a file server that holds roaming profiles for users.  Lately, I've seen a spike in the amount of data on the server.  Of course most of the directories are not accessible via the administrator account.  I can perform a Windows backup and see the data, but there are so many directories, it's going to take me a long time to find the culprit.  I've also tried a folder size program to see if I could see the folder, but it can only see what the account logged in can see. 

Does anyone know of a program that would be able to access the files the same way the backup does so I could get a good count of the data size in each folder?

• Modificato TBone1985 giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 19:37
    giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 19:36

Risposte

• Unfortunately that's the price you pay for selecting the "Give users exclusive access to this folder" option in the folder redirection GPO. It's great for security....  not so great for ease of management.

Depending on the size of your environment, it may be viable to spend some time creating a script that:

1. Changes ownership of the folder and all sub-objects to administrator

2. Gives read/write permissions to administrator and %USERNAME% to ensure that the user can still get too their data. (This gets pushed to all sub-objects as well).

Once these two items are done to all the folders in question, you should be able to run an application such as treesize like Issac mentioned and you won't get any of those pesky permission denied error messages.

There are several different ways you could deploy said script, but it depends on your environment. Your mileage may vary.  

DISCLAMER: ALWAYS test your scripts on a test user, prior to deploying it en masse. (This is for obvious reasons)

Now with that said if you have a relatively small environment, it may be more time effective to just look folder by folder. You could easily spend as much time creating your script and deployment methodology as it would to just do the work, if you have and environment on the smaller side.

Hope this helps.

• Modificato Andy SyrewiczeMVP venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:42
    • Contrassegnato come risposta TBone1985 venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 13:34
    venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:41
  • Sadly, your at the mercy of folder permissions, thus no tool can get around that easily.

In regards to your roaming profiles question. Check out the below link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463398(v=WS.10).aspx

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 16:47

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

You can try TreeSize Here: http://download.cnet.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-10139400.html

Or you can write a simple powershell script to check folder sizes

Hope this helps,

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 20:59
  • Unfortunately that's the price you pay for selecting the "Give users exclusive access to this folder" option in the folder redirection GPO. It's great for security....  not so great for ease of management.

Depending on the size of your environment, it may be viable to spend some time creating a script that:

1. Changes ownership of the folder and all sub-objects to administrator

2. Gives read/write permissions to administrator and %USERNAME% to ensure that the user can still get too their data. (This gets pushed to all sub-objects as well).

Once these two items are done to all the folders in question, you should be able to run an application such as treesize like Issac mentioned and you won't get any of those pesky permission denied error messages.

There are several different ways you could deploy said script, but it depends on your environment. Your mileage may vary.  

DISCLAMER: ALWAYS test your scripts on a test user, prior to deploying it en masse. (This is for obvious reasons)

Now with that said if you have a relatively small environment, it may be more time effective to just look folder by folder. You could easily spend as much time creating your script and deployment methodology as it would to just do the work, if you have and environment on the smaller side.

Hope this helps.

• Modificato Andy SyrewiczeMVP venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:42
    • Contrassegnato come risposta TBone1985 venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 13:34
    venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:41
  • That was the answer I was expecting but didn't want to hear.  I wish there was some software that would allow us to at least see the folder size of the folders we can't get into.  That would help me know who's got the large file.

On a side note, do you know if I wanted to move the roaming profile, can I just change the location in AD and it move the files to the new drive/directory (like changing My Documents location does) or do I have to move the files manually?

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 13:38
  • Sadly, your at the mercy of folder permissions, thus no tool can get around that easily.

In regards to your roaming profiles question. Check out the below link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463398(v=WS.10).aspx

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 16:47