none
Frequent problems with Windows Search Service on the same server - 2008 R2

Domanda

• Hi,

around once a month the Windows Search is not working anymore on one of our servers. The search results are showing only some files. When I open the "indexing options" I see that the indexing is running and running but never complete.

When I try to stop the Windows Search service it hungs on "stopping". I have removed the whole Windows Search, deleted the whole C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search directory and reinstalled it. But again after around 4 weeks the database seems to be corrupt again and we have the same issue.

We have around 800.000 files, from what I could read this should not be a problem. It is a powerful box with Dual CPU and 24gb of memory and the server is not busy at all. All other servers (around 40) are running fine.
    We have already excluded C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search in Symantec Endpoint Protection.

There are no errors logged in the event viewer related to Windows Search.

Any ideas where I can look for?

Thanks!

mercoledì 2 gennaio 2013 11:38

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• One ideea might be that it is trying to index some data that it cant access. I'm not 100% sure (please correct me if I am wrong) but i think that the SYSTEM account needs permisions on that file/folder in order to index it. So check to see if there are some folders/files that have blocked inheritance and have custom ACL's. You can either choose to exclude them from indexing if they contain sensible data or ad the System account to the ACL's.

mercoledì 2 gennaio 2013 20:51
  • Hi,

I'm sure we have some files or folders where the system account is missing because in the past local admin staff was allowed to modify the ACL and they messed it up sometimes. These files are then not in the index and when we notice it we fix the problem.

But it is the same with our other servers. On these the Windows Search is working perfectly.

The only difference, the problematic server is in our biggest office. But around 170 concurrent users should be not a problem for a powerfull server?!?

giovedì 3 gennaio 2013 08:44
  • Hi,

If reinstall Windows Search could fix the issue temporarily, have you tried to rebuild the index?

Also instead of deleting the c:\programdata\microsoft folder, you could try to move to a new location (to recreate it) and see the result.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

venerdì 4 gennaio 2013 07:41
    Moderatore
  • Hi,

a rebuild of the index would fix it as well temporary. But the rebuild is only possible after rebooting the server. The first times I just used the rebuild (after the reboot). But as I saw that this is only a temporary fix I started the complete remove and reinstall. I had the hope that this will fix it permanently but it doesnt.

I have reinstalled the windows search again this morning, before I saw your email. I have changed now the path to "D:\Windows Search" and excluded this directoy as well in the Symantec Endpoint Protection. But I wonder if that makes a difference.

Does anyone knows if there are any logfiles for the Windows Search? The .log files in the Search folder are not human readable. In the event viewer I have nothing found. But there must be something somewhere?

venerdì 4 gennaio 2013 10:48
  • Just want to provide a feedback on this issue. We have opened a call with Microsoft and the problem is fixed with installing the following updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686369/EN-US

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2782476/EN-US

Both KB have nothing to do with our problem but they update the relevant binaries to a newer version. And since we installed the update the problem did not come back.

• Contrassegnato come risposta Stefan01 lunedì 10 giugno 2013 13:58
    lunedì 10 giugno 2013 13:57