none
WSUS and Existing updates

Domanda

• Hi All,

I sure this has been discussed in the past, but I am unable to find a definitive answer.  When we implemented WSUS it does not recognize existing manual updates on windows xp or Windows 7.  So it will then try to reinstall already installed updates. Is this normal or is there a configuration change that needs to be made?  We are using WSUS 3.0.

Thanks
    David

mercoledì 5 dicembre 2012 22:50

Risposte

• When we implemented WSUS it does not recognize existing manual updates on windows xp or Windows 7.  So it will then try to reinstall already installed updates. Is this normal or is there a configuration change that needs to be made?  We are using WSUS 3.0.

It kinda depends on how you "manually" implemented those 'already installed' updates.

If you baked them into a master image, then it's entirely possible that the 'clues' that the update detection logic is looking for does not actually exist, and so it fails to report an update as Installed and/or detects the update as NotInstalled.

This is classic behavior, for example, when a service pack is slipstreamed into an installation image; although, in those cases, typically what happens is that the update is reported as NotApplicable, rather than NotInstalled.

The logic that keeps an update from being reported as NotInstalled is, simply stated, the fact that the update was properly installed previously. If the update in WSUS says it's "NotInstalled", then that's an indication that the update was not properly INSTALLED to begin with. Sometimes an update installation sets registry values that a subsequent update expects to be present. If the method used to "install" the update did not perform all of those expected behaviors, then the update package would be unable to determine that the update was, in fact, already installed.

Easiest solution!? ---- approve the things and let 'em be installed and be done with it. If the "installation" fails... well, then, you have a real problem to deal with. ;-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 02:29
  • Hi,

It is not normal. The WUAgent on the client side will be reporting an update as Needed/not applicable/installed to the WSUS server.Generally,if an existing manual updates has been installed on clients,it will be detected as installed on the WSUS.So it will not try to reinstall already installed updates.

But, to be honest, there could be  a flaw in the detection logic,depending on how the logic for the specific update file was written.There could be a bug issue on some updates that lead to the installation repeatedly prompted.

regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 03:23

Tutte le risposte

• When we implemented WSUS it does not recognize existing manual updates on windows xp or Windows 7.  So it will then try to reinstall already installed updates. Is this normal or is there a configuration change that needs to be made?  We are using WSUS 3.0.

It kinda depends on how you "manually" implemented those 'already installed' updates.

If you baked them into a master image, then it's entirely possible that the 'clues' that the update detection logic is looking for does not actually exist, and so it fails to report an update as Installed and/or detects the update as NotInstalled.

This is classic behavior, for example, when a service pack is slipstreamed into an installation image; although, in those cases, typically what happens is that the update is reported as NotApplicable, rather than NotInstalled.

The logic that keeps an update from being reported as NotInstalled is, simply stated, the fact that the update was properly installed previously. If the update in WSUS says it's "NotInstalled", then that's an indication that the update was not properly INSTALLED to begin with. Sometimes an update installation sets registry values that a subsequent update expects to be present. If the method used to "install" the update did not perform all of those expected behaviors, then the update package would be unable to determine that the update was, in fact, already installed.

Easiest solution!? ---- approve the things and let 'em be installed and be done with it. If the "installation" fails... well, then, you have a real problem to deal with. ;-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 02:29
  • Hi,

It is not normal. The WUAgent on the client side will be reporting an update as Needed/not applicable/installed to the WSUS server.Generally,if an existing manual updates has been installed on clients,it will be detected as installed on the WSUS.So it will not try to reinstall already installed updates.

But, to be honest, there could be  a flaw in the detection logic,depending on how the logic for the specific update file was written.There could be a bug issue on some updates that lead to the installation repeatedly prompted.

regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 03:23
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

martedì 11 dicembre 2012 05:55