none
Some XP machines only showing PrinterShare Name, rather than PrinterShareName On ServerName

Domanda

• Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have had a few XP machines report problems with printer drive mappings.

The problems are a bit different from each other but I suspect they may be related.

One problem is that printer mappings appear as "HP01 on server.domain.local" and the status is Access Denied

Another problem is that printer mappings just appear as "HP01" with no server name. Which seems to cause problems printing from Outlook and Word 2007 as the printer properties can't be displayed.

Printer are either mapped using logon scripts using \\servername\sharename or they are mapped by using the Find Printer in the Directory. 

This is causing a few issues as some applications are crashing when trying to print to just "HP01" rather than "HP01 on ServerName"

This affects queues published on either Server 2003 or Server 2008 R2. 

It doesn't affect all people so I suspect it may be related to XP. 

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Steven

venerdì 16 marzo 2012 22:55

Risposte

• Hi,

Users get an Access Denied message when trying to configure a printer from within an application.

Cause: You do not have the appropriate permission to change printer configuration.

Solution: You need Manage Printer permission to change the printer's setup.

For details:

Troubleshooting common printing problems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759319(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_5

Another problem is that printer mappings just appear as "HP01" with no server name. Which seems to cause problems printing from Outlook and Word 2007 as the printer properties can't be displayed.

>> Please try to refer the following KB to troubleshoot this issue:

How to troubleshoot print failures in Word 2010, Word 2007, and Word 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845/a

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 06:43

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

Users get an Access Denied message when trying to configure a printer from within an application.

Cause: You do not have the appropriate permission to change printer configuration.

Solution: You need Manage Printer permission to change the printer's setup.

For details:

Troubleshooting common printing problems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759319(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_5

>> Please try to refer the following KB to troubleshoot this issue:

How to troubleshoot print failures in Word 2010, Word 2007, and Word 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845/a

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 19 marzo 2012 06:43
  • Thanks

The cause was actually a corrupted HP printer driver.

The fix was to remove all HP drivers from XP and reinstall printer by connecting the queue again.

Steven Wells

sabato 31 marzo 2012 11:28
  • I'm running into this exact problem too on various XP SP3 workstations. 

Point and Print printers are taking on the naming format of: PrinterName on PrintServer.MyDomain.com  instead of the typical: PrinterName on PrintServer. For the printers with the FQDN in the name, Users are unable to remove them and also receive "Printer cannot be removed. Access is denied."

Deleting the remote printers from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers and all that are cached in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers along with restarting the print spooler service appears to resolve the issue -- for now.

StevenWells99:

What HP UPD version are you using? We were using 5.3.1.10527 when this problem started about 3 weeks ago.  Since then, we've updated to 5.4.0.11744 (to support newer HP printers), and the problem remains.  I've also experienced the issue with the Xerox UPD, so I don't believe its an HP specific issue.  I'm wondering if its a recent XP patch which has caused it.

martedì 10 aprile 2012 19:56