none
The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation network issue

Domanda

• Hi

I run some windows (2008 r2) servers on the cloud. A couple of servers are reporting a red x in the system tray where the network icon is, and my network adapter has disappeared.Using ipconfig /renew I get:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

There isn't really more info I can provide. All servers on static private IPs.

Thanks

domenica 13 maggio 2012 01:34

Tutte le risposte

• Hello, 

Once you logged into the system check below steps one by one.

1. First check the status of LAN network adapter whether it is in disabled state or not. If it disabled, enable it.

2. Open Cmd prompt, ipconfig/all

3. Ping IP ( Test whether self ping working or not)

4. If is not pinging, check for event viewer for errors/warning events, if any?

Based on the above info, we need to know and what can be done to resolve our issue.

Regards, Ravikumar P

domenica 13 maggio 2012 03:07
  • These issues may occur if the Winsock registry keys are damaged or corrupted.

Run netdiag /test:winsock or Msinfo32 to determine if Winsock registry keys are intact.

For complete details look at this article-

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

-
     Sachin Gadhave
    MCP, MCSA, MCTS

• Proposto come risposta Tiger Li lunedì 14 maggio 2012 05:03
    domenica 13 maggio 2012 15:04
  • Run below commands from elevated cmd ( Run as Administrator ) to fix the issue.

Reset WINSOCK entries to default: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation default:  netsh int ip reset reset.log

A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS !

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

About Me ?

• Proposto come risposta Tiger Li lunedì 14 maggio 2012 05:03
    domenica 13 maggio 2012 15:17
  • Hi GSS1,

Thanks for posting here.

Have we recently modified any system setting or installed any software or hotfix on these problematic hosts ?

Perhaps we may try the workaround that Sachin and Santosh provided about reseting the winscok and see how is going

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 14 maggio 2012 05:03
  • Hi,

Apologies this behaviour is normal as the ips are static.

However, the bigger issue was that the network adapter disappeared, screwing up dns completely. I did install apps on the servers so something there must have broken something, but I don't know which app (and I uninstalled everything, rebooted etc).

lunedì 14 maggio 2012 21:44
  • Hi GSS1,

Thanks for update.

So can we still verify and get information of this missing NIC form device management console on server ? can we still get the NIC by command “netsh interface show interface” ?

what was the latest modification we performed before this issue occurred ? Is there any error or warring event shown in the event viewer ?

Have we installed Hyper-V on this server host ?

We have a KB article that described a similar issue and some methods to verify and resolve this issue on Windows 2003 and XP platform and we may try it and see if that will help:

How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826/

Regards,

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

martedì 15 maggio 2012 02:58
  • Hi GSS1,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

mercoledì 16 maggio 2012 05:58
  • Hello!

I followed by using ipconfig /all and here's the outcome:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 14*

Media State: Disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State: Disconnected

Would someone be able to help?

Thank you in advance.

martedì 19 agosto 2014 18:40