none
DFS Replication groups on Domain Controllers still using FRS for SYSVOL replicaiton

Domanda

• Our 2008 Domain Controllers (DCs) are still using FRS for SYSVOL replication.  We have some older 2003 file servers that currently hold some namespace roots on them.  I was hoping to move these roots over to the DCs, and create DFS Replication groups (DFS-R) for the namespace roots.  So the only namespace servers for the root would be the 2008 DCs and the DFS replication groups would only have the 2008 DCs as replicated members.  Since the SYSVOL on the DCs is still being replicated by FRS, I need the FRS service to still be running on the DCs.  I think it looks fine, and that the DFS Replication service and the File Replication Service will just both run on the DCs.  The DFS Replication service will be used to replicate the namespace roots, and the File Replication Service will continue to replicate the SYSVOL.

Additionally, we have some older servers under this namespace root that are still using FRS replication to replicate folders.  If I move the namespace roots over to DFSR groups on the 2008 DCs, I'm assuming the FRS groups on these older servers will not be affected in any way.

Can anybody see a problem with my proposed setup?

• Modificato jadedpuppy lunedì 17 giugno 2013 16:59
    lunedì 17 giugno 2013 16:03

Risposte

• Hi.

If you have domainbased namespaces you can just add more namespace servers. And then disable and then remove the old namespace servers.

No need for DFS-R.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

• Contrassegnato come risposta jadedpuppy martedì 18 giugno 2013 15:05
    lunedì 17 giugno 2013 21:06

Tutte le risposte

• Hi.

You dont need DFS-R for the DFS namespaces. The DFS-R is used for the replication of files. DFS-N is used for single namespace for file access.

If you have only windows 2008 DCs, use dfsrmig.exe to migrate SYSVOL to DFS-R.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Oscar Virot

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 20:21
  • Hi.

You dont need DFS-R for the DFS namespaces. The DFS-R is used for the replication of files. DFS-N is used for single namespace for file access.

If you have only windows 2008 DCs, use dfsrmig.exe to migrate SYSVOL to DFS-R.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Oscar Virot

So I can just move the namespace roots over to the DCs, and will not have to setup the DFS-R groups?  Okay.
    lunedì 17 giugno 2013 21:04
  • Hi.

If you have domainbased namespaces you can just add more namespace servers. And then disable and then remove the old namespace servers.

No need for DFS-R.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

• Contrassegnato come risposta jadedpuppy martedì 18 giugno 2013 15:05
    lunedì 17 giugno 2013 21:06
  • Hi.

No need for DFS-R.

Oscar Virot

Does it matter if the namespace root is "Domain-based in Windows Server 2008 mode" or "Domain-based in Windows 2000 server mode"?  I ask this because I removed the DFS-R replication group for a test root I had in our lab, and the replication of folder targets stopped on one of the namespace servers.  I had to remove the root completely and restore from backup.  When I re-created the root, it created it as a "Domain-based in Windows Server 2008 mode" type.  It was a 2000 type before.  The other test roots I have are also the 2000 type variety still.  

I tested this again with another root.  It is a 2000 type and I had DFS-R replication group setup for it.  I added a new folder called "test" (I didn't add a folder target) through the DFS MMC snap in.  This new folder shows up on both of the namespace servers, but on the 2nd namespace server in the list, it is the *only* folder that shows up.  All the other existing folders are gone.  If I then delete it from the DFS snap in, the folder is removed from both servers, but the other (pre-existing folders) do not show back up on the 2nd namespace server.  Additionally, I am getting a 4406 error in the DFS Replication event log.  I removed the namespace server and re-added it and all the folder showed up again. 

On yes another test root, I removed the DFS-R group I had setup and all the direct links disappeared on the 2nd namespace server.  So only folders that had other folders under them (in DFS management) would show up on the 2nd namespace server.  I re-created the DFS-R group, waited for replication to happen, and direct links still did not show back up on the 2nd namespace server. 

Whats going on here?

• Modificato jadedpuppy lunedì 17 giugno 2013 22:26
    lunedì 17 giugno 2013 21:44
  • Hi.

That seems really strange. Do you mean that you have a DFS-R replication setup for the DFS-N share? You should never configure DFS-R on the DFS-N nameserver shares..

Which version of the DFS-N shouldnt matter that much.

Oscar Virot

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 22:46
  • Hi.

That seems really strange. Do you mean that you have a DFS-R replication setup for the DFS-N share? You should never configure DFS-R on the DFS-N nameserver shares..

Which version of the DFS-N shouldnt matter that much.

Oscar Virot

Yeah it is really strange.  I have removed all the namespace servers except one (of course) in my test area, and I have removed all the DFS-R groups as well.  I let it sit for a while, so that proper replication could happen.  I then removed all the DFSRroot folders from the namespace server that I removed (I only have 2 in my test environment).  Again, I let it sit for a while. 

Then on server2 I added created a folder called "AppsData" at E:\Appsdata\DFSRoots\AppsData for the new namespace AppsData.  So the existing server1 had the namespace on it by itself, and I added server2 as a namespace server for AppsData root.  After I did this, the full namespace showed up on server2, but now only the direct links showed up on server1.  All the folders in DFS that had folders/links under them (so no target folders themselves) only showed up on server2.  They were removed from server1 and moved over to server2, which was just added as a new namespace server.  I can add/delete new folders through DFS and they show up on both namespace servers, but the existing folders do not show up the original namespace server.

Something is very wrong here.  I've checked replication and it is fine.  The DFS Replication logs don't show anything regarding the new server2 being added as a new namespace server.  Shouldn't this be showing up in the DFS Replication event log?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is very odd. 

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 22:56
  • Hi.

First of.. DFS-R and DFS-N is not the same.. They just share the name.

Also I would let the DFS management GUI create the share and everything, to reduce risks.

You shouldnt have data in your DFS-N at all, only targets to other shares.

Oscar Virot

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 23:03
  • Hi.

First of.. DFS-R and DFS-N is not the same.. They just share the name.

Also I would let the DFS management GUI create the share and everything, to reduce risks.

You shouldnt have data in your DFS-N at all, only targets to other shares.

Oscar Virot

Yeah there is no data, just the targets.  I'm not sure what you mean about letting DFS GUI create the share.  I'm not creating the share on the namespace server, I'm just creating the folder for the DFS root to go into.  So E:\AppsData\DFSroots\root1 and E:\AppsData\DFSroots\root2, and so forth. 

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 23:15
  • And E:\AppData\DFSRoots\root1 is shared as root1, and that share is then the nameserver share of the DFS?

Im not really sure how all targets from \\server1\root1 disappeared when you added the namespace server \\server2\root1

Oscar Virot

lunedì 17 giugno 2013 23:18
  • Hi,

I'm a little confuse about the configuration, so please forgive me to start from the begining.

Let's say we are going to create a DFS (domain based) namespace for new.

1. Create a namespace \\domain.com\root. It will by default create a folder in c:\DFSRoots\root.

2. Create a folder target \\domain.com\root\target. It will ask for a folder. I noticed that you create the folder under c:\DFSRoots\root (in your example it is c:\appdata\DFSRoots\root1), try to create/link a folder which is not in in specific folder. For example, link to folder d:\target.

Tip: When creating a folder target, it will create a junction point under \\domain.com\root\ with the same name as the shared folder. So if you create the shared folder in the same folder (root) it may cause confuse.

3. If you need to add more server target, just add in \\domain.com\root.

4. If you need to add more folder target, add in \\domain.com\root\target. If you select to create a folder on server2, if will confirm with you if a replication group need to be created. If you choose Yes then DFS-R is involved to replicate the folder targets between server1 and server2.

Let me know if there is any question.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

martedì 18 giugno 2013 07:50
    Moderatore
  • And E:\AppData\DFSRoots\root1 is shared as root1, and that share is then the nameserver share of the DFS?

Im not really sure how all targets from \\server1\root1 disappeared when you added the namespace server \\server2\root1

Oscar Virot

Yes, E:\AppsData\DFSroots\root1 is shared as "root1" and that share is the nameserver share of the DFS.  That is correct. 

Yesh, I've never seen a namespace where only the shortcuts or only the folders were missing.  Very strange.

martedì 18 giugno 2013 14:35
  • Hi,

I'm a little confuse about the configuration, so please forgive me to start from the begining.

Let's say we are going to create a DFS (domain based) namespace for new.

1. Create a namespace \\domain.com\root. It will by default create a folder in c:\DFSRoots\root.

2. Create a folder target \\domain.com\root\target. It will ask for a folder. I noticed that you create the folder under c:\DFSRoots\root (in your example it is c:\appdata\DFSRoots\root1), try to create/link a folder which is not in in specific folder. For example, link to folder d:\target.

Tip: When creating a folder target, it will create a junction point under \\domain.com\root\ with the same name as the shared folder. So if you create the shared folder in the same folder (root) it may cause confuse.

3. If you need to add more server target, just add in \\domain.com\root.

4. If you need to add more folder target, add in \\domain.com\root\target. If you select to create a folder on server2, if will confirm with you if a replication group need to be created. If you choose Yes then DFS-R is involved to replicate the folder targets between server1 and server2.

Let me know if there is any question.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

1.  The namespace already existed.  Also, we keep our namespaces on the E:\AppsData\DFSroots\ folder, and create a subfolder for each root as I outlined above. 

2.  the folder I am adding does not actually have a target yet, it is an empty folder.  In DFS Management, I right click on the namespace root, and then choose New Folder.   In the new folder window, I give the folder a name, but do not give it a folder target.  So there is no folder target. 

3.4.  Yes, that is what I'm doing.  I'm simply adding a new folder without a folder target.  

The new folders I am adding are showing up on both namespace servers.  This is not the problem.  The problem is that not all the existing folders are showing up on both namespace servers.  There are two types of folders in DFS Management, the type that have a folder target themselves, and the type that do not have folder targets themselves, but rather contain other folders that have their own folder targets. 

Here is an example of the existing folder structure in DFS Management.  If there is an "->" arrow, this means that the folder has a direct folder target.

\\ourdomain.com\root1
    Folder1
    Folder1.1 -> \\server1\share1
    Folder1.2 -> \\server2\share1
    Folder2 -> \\server23\share1
    Folder3 -> \\server13\share1
    Folder4
    Folder4.1 -> \\server33\share1

I have 2 namespace servers for the root1 namespace.  On the first namespace server, which I will call server1, only the first-level folders with direct folder targets are showing up under E:\AppsData\DFSroots\root1.  So on server1, Folder2 and Folder3 are the only folders showing up.  On our second namespace server, which I will call server2, all the folders are showing up as they should.  If I added another folder to root1 (either with a folder target or without one), lets call is Folder5, it will show up on both namespace servers as it should. 

I was actually able to solve my problem, although I still do not know why it started in the first place.  I solved it by removing the namespace server that was having a problem (server1 in my example) and letting it sit for a while.  Re-adding server1, and then removing server2 and letting it sit.  Then re-adding server2.  After doing this, everything is working as it should this morning.  Additionally, Oscar was right, that you do not need need DFS-R groups for the namespace folder structure replication to happen, as I do not have any DFS-R root groups right now and when I add a new folder to root1, it shows up on both namespace servers. 

martedì 18 giugno 2013 15:05