none
Can i edit (remove) choices, when opening shared locked file from DFS fileserver?

Domanda

• Hallo, i try to find answer to my question: Can i edit choices (remove one), when opening shared locked file from DFS fileserver? There are 3 choices:

We use 3 DFS fileservers and merge changes choice is not good way for us. We would like to use only choice 1 or 3. 

Thank you for your cooperation to find the solution.

1 Open a read only copy

2 Create a local copy and merge changes later

3 Receive notification when the original copy is available

Best regards,

Vladimir Dlesk

Vladimir Dlesk

martedì 22 gennaio 2013 13:34

Tutte le risposte

• Hi Vladimir,

Sounds like a file locking issue. The choice 1 occurs because when a user open an (Office) file, it is locked. If more user happens to connected to the same file server of the 3 servers, they will see a Read Only notification when trying to open the same file.

If following users connected to a different server, the Read Only message will not occur and DFS will overwrite the copy which saved/closed earlier with the later one.

We will not able to change this as this is how DFS and Office works. A possible workaround is to disable 2 file servers so all users are connected to the same server and only choice 1 will available.

Or there are some third party programs which could help on this kind of file locking issue but some of them are expensive.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 24 gennaio 2013 02:29
  • Hi, thank you very much for you answer. I'm sorry i forgot to say, we use PeerLock SW which lock open files across our sites. We had to start using DFS becouse of accessing bigger excel files across three sites connected slower WANs and we need 3 active replicas... We think that "merge" choice is not good for users and they could to rewrite files each other. The best choices for us are only 1 and/or 3. I would like to know, if there is any posibility to remove choice 2 (by Regedit, GPO ADM template for office, etc..). Any idea? 

Thank you.
    Vladimir

Vladimir Dlesk

giovedì 24 gennaio 2013 10:04
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

I'm afraid we could not stop users from saving a local copy. Actually they could merge contents or simply overwrite a file with a local copy. As you worried this will cause data lose that eariler modifications will be overwritten.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lunedì 4 febbraio 2013 01:21