none
Windows 2012 Hyper-V Cluster

Domanda

• I have a two-node Windows 2012 Hyper-V cluster with two NICs in each node. Could someone let me know what the best practice is for the network configuration? Should I team these NICs or use them separately? For example, is it better to use one NIC for live migration and the other for the guest virutal machines rather than teaming the NICs? Do the two NICs in the cluster node need to be on a separate subnet? Also, which property settings should be enabled for a NIC that is being used for live migration, and what are the recommended property settings for TCP/IP v4?

Thank you.

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 17:36

Risposte

• ok...

so if are domain joined.. you will treat your subnets as needed by your enviorement, i supposed you had something like eva.. ok.. so..

as i mentioned you before there many ways to make it, depends on the numebr of nics avaiable, at this point you have 3 nics and this ok.. not the best but let's say the minimum requirements for a good production cluster.

you said you added a nic and, first did you check that everything with the nic is ok ? 

drivers and firmware fully updated

checked if the nic works normaly in the os like in a normal server ?

Did you decide how to spread services and functions on the nics ?

can you tell me please.. ?

with 3 nics, i would always leave one for the virtual machines

if you plan to live migrate quite often at this point you could dedicate one for live migration and the last one for all others services.

if not, dedicate one nic to the heartbeat and last one for the rest.

then..

nics are not cluster resources.. 

did you have the same virtual switch name on both nodes ?

did you configured a different subnet on the nic you are adding ? the cluster manager wont see the nic if within the same subnet as another nic already there.

change subnet and let me know..

Regards

------------------------------------------------------- I understand a little computers.

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 00:37
  • Hi,

For each node of the failover cluster, use more than one network adapter and configure at least one network adapter for the private network. We recommend that you configure separate dedicated networks with gigabit or faster speed for live migration traffic and cluster communication, and these networks should be separate from the network used by the management operating system, and from the network used by the virtual machines.

It is recommended that all network configurations should isolate cluster/Cluster Shared Volumes and live migration on private networks.

We recommend that you do not use the same network adapter for virtual machine access and management. If you are limited by the number of network adapters, you should configure a VLAN to isolate traffic.

> We added an additional NIC but we couldn't see it in the Windows failover cluster.

Refer to above poster’s suggestion to troubleshoot this issue. One more point, run Omit storage tests after you add, remove, or replace a network adapter.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Hyper-V: Live Migration Network Configuration Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428137
    Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Validating Hardware for a Failover Cluster
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732035(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:35
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• Hello

only two nic ??

or two nic double port ?

Regards

------------------------------------------------------- I understand a little computers.

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 17:41
  • Hi,

Each cluster node has two NICs on a Flex-10, they are single port NICs.

Thanks.

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 17:43
  • well

you shoul really had one extra nic for both..  but you mentioned flex 10.. are they blades ?

what about the connection for the storage ?

i would leave the migration nic dedicated, and the other one for virtual machines and nodes, shared.

you can use separate subnets for nodes yes.. but you need more nics.. not with just 2

raccomended TCP properties for nics ? well.. nothing particular.. just usal data about your subnet.. what do you mean exactly?

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:01
  • take a look here please..

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gavinmcshera/archive/2011/03/27/3416313.aspx

however if they are blades and if it is not best practice..

setup one nic for managements, cluster, heartbeat, live migration.

and the second nic vor virtual machines.

but storage ?

Regards

• Modificato Ales75 giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:19
    giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:03
  • Hi Alex

Thanks for your replies. These are HP blade servers. The storage is connected through the HP EVA.

How do you set up the NIC for heartbeat?

Thanks.

Carolyn

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:23
  • you just need ip address and subnet, then disable register connection in dns, then disable netbios over tcp/ip.

and of cocurse a crosscable between the 2 nics.

and must be on a private network.

got it ?

or need more info?

• Modificato Ales75 giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:33 spelling
    giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:29
  • before you should define better your nic situation

and general layout.. that is the configuration for the single heartbeat link configuration

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:31
  • Now i am finising a work.. little later if anyone do it before i can write better i would do.

in the meanwhile read this.. for example.

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10311

the remaining problem is that you didnt tell anything related to the storage connection.

were you meaning 2 nics excluded the storage or you meant included the storage connection ?

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 18:44
  • I use the DHCP on a Cisco box on my network and let Hyper-V use that for all the clients. This way everything is accessible all over the local network.

This works well with a blade setup too with a bunch of servers handling the work load.

Rather than 2 Ethernet ports, use 10GBASE-T Ethernet and then speed will be better.

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 19:33
  • I use the DHCP on a Cisco box on my network and let Hyper-V use that for all the clients. This way everything is accessible all over the local network.

This works well with a blade setup too with a bunch of servers handling the work load.

Rather than 2 Ethernet ports, use 10GBASE-T Ethernet and then speed will be better.

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Hello again..

well of course it is possibile but  i would really avoid something like this if possible.. then here there is no mention about a cisco dhcp or a dhcp server etc.. i really dont find this has a best practice.

Anyway.. here is i would make it... first i am still missing if those blades are domain joined and second the storage involved in the cluster, san or csv.. and its relative network connection.

i assume you have two physical nics and  for the storage you are already connected with a further connection.

I also assume that the most of the network traffic is on the virutal machine network probably used by users on the network...

for this reason dedicate one nic for this.

on the second nic then you are forced to pass the remaining traffic and services.

and so, the cluster nodes, hearbeat, live migration and host managements.

the virtual machines network must be a public one.(you can use a subnet already used for other similar traffic) and here don't allow cluster network communication.

the network for cluster, management, live migration and hearbeat must be a private one. (you can dedicate a different and so private and closed subnet)and here allow cluster network communication

and here however i repeat i dont know if these are two single blades or are domain joined.

use static ip address and subnet for all networks, disable on all nics register dns in connection service and disable tcp/ip over netbios

then for various optimization i suggest you this reading..

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2011/06/17/10176338.aspx

hope this helps

Regards

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 20:56
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the information. The cluster nodes are blade servers that are joined to our domain. The storage is a fiber EVA storage. Our cluster nodes have one NIC for heartbeat and the other for the guest virtual machine traffic. We added an additional NIC but we couldn't see it in the Windows failover cluster. We ran the cluster validation for network only but the new NIC still doesn't show up in the failover cluster network.

Thanks,

Carolyn

giovedì 17 gennaio 2013 21:34
  • ok...

so if are domain joined.. you will treat your subnets as needed by your enviorement, i supposed you had something like eva.. ok.. so..

as i mentioned you before there many ways to make it, depends on the numebr of nics avaiable, at this point you have 3 nics and this ok.. not the best but let's say the minimum requirements for a good production cluster.

you said you added a nic and, first did you check that everything with the nic is ok ? 

drivers and firmware fully updated

checked if the nic works normaly in the os like in a normal server ?

Did you decide how to spread services and functions on the nics ?

can you tell me please.. ?

with 3 nics, i would always leave one for the virtual machines

if you plan to live migrate quite often at this point you could dedicate one for live migration and the last one for all others services.

if not, dedicate one nic to the heartbeat and last one for the rest.

then..

nics are not cluster resources.. 

did you have the same virtual switch name on both nodes ?

did you configured a different subnet on the nic you are adding ? the cluster manager wont see the nic if within the same subnet as another nic already there.

change subnet and let me know..

Regards

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 00:37
  • Hi,

For each node of the failover cluster, use more than one network adapter and configure at least one network adapter for the private network. We recommend that you configure separate dedicated networks with gigabit or faster speed for live migration traffic and cluster communication, and these networks should be separate from the network used by the management operating system, and from the network used by the virtual machines.

It is recommended that all network configurations should isolate cluster/Cluster Shared Volumes and live migration on private networks.

We recommend that you do not use the same network adapter for virtual machine access and management. If you are limited by the number of network adapters, you should configure a VLAN to isolate traffic.

> We added an additional NIC but we couldn't see it in the Windows failover cluster.

Refer to above poster’s suggestion to troubleshoot this issue. One more point, run Omit storage tests after you add, remove, or replace a network adapter.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Hyper-V: Live Migration Network Configuration Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff428137
    Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Validating Hardware for a Failover Cluster
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732035(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

venerdì 18 gennaio 2013 05:35
    Moderatore