none
Migrate from Win2008R2 to Win2012, Shares/Permissions, Files & DFS

Domanda

• We have an Existing win2008R2 server that has 150 Shares, 6 TB of Data, 3 Different DFS Namespaces and 3 Replication Groups with about 25 replicated folders among the 3 namespaces.

I have a new Win2012 server that I'd like to setup to replace the Existing server.   New server has its own Storage that I want to replicate the data to.

What is the best way to copy all of the shares/Permissions, and add the new 2012 server to DFS to be a new member and start replicating all of the data?

As a bonus, It would be great that when the replication is completed to the new server that I can rename the new server to the same name as the old server. If its messy to rename a DFS server, then I can live with it. The Old File DFS server is a DC, and I cannot demote it yet. 

Thank you

martedì 4 dicembre 2012 19:02

Risposte

• Hi,

The recommand step is to pre-staging the data before added a server into a DFS replication group.

Thus you should first run Backup-Restore or Robocopy to copy the data you are going to replicated in DFSR to your new server and added the exists folders to replication groups.

Please noticed that Share permission will not be copied by any program. So you will need to manually share them or create sharing when adding folders to DFS namespace.

For rename the server to old server, as the old server still exists you will not able to do so as DC cannot be renamed.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 09:03
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

The recommand step is to pre-staging the data before added a server into a DFS replication group.

Thus you should first run Backup-Restore or Robocopy to copy the data you are going to replicated in DFSR to your new server and added the exists folders to replication groups.

Please noticed that Share permission will not be copied by any program. So you will need to manually share them or create sharing when adding folders to DFS namespace.

For rename the server to old server, as the old server still exists you will not able to do so as DC cannot be renamed.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2012 09:03
    Moderatore
  • Please let us know if there is anything further we could help.

martedì 11 dicembre 2012 01:19
    Moderatore