none
Need to convert a primary WSUS server to a downstream server

질문

• I have two WSUS servers, one in each of two locations. Both are in the same domain, but different subnets (192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.100,xxx). I want to make the second one a downstream server instead of a primary. Can this be done without uninstalling/reinstalling?

TIA,

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)

2013년 3월 15일 금요일 오후 3:31

답변

• Hi,

As best practice,Pls uninstalling/reinstalling the WSUS server without keeping the DB,install with a clean DB,and configured as a downstream server.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• 답변으로 표시됨 Hank ArnoldMVP 2013년 3월 18일 월요일 오후 12:47
    2013년 3월 18일 월요일 오전 8:12

모든 응답

• Hi,

As best practice,Pls uninstalling/reinstalling the WSUS server without keeping the DB,install with a clean DB,and configured as a downstream server.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• 답변으로 표시됨 Hank ArnoldMVP 2013년 3월 18일 월요일 오후 12:47
    2013년 3월 18일 월요일 오전 8:12
  • That's the answer I was expecting, just hoping I could get around it. Thanks.

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)

2013년 3월 18일 월요일 오후 12:47
  • That's the answer I was expecting, just hoping I could get around it. Thanks.

Since it's you asking... :-) .. and I'm feeling a bit pedantic tonight.

Actually you can convert an upstream server to a downstream or replica server, but we generally recommend NOT doing it this way because doing so is fraught with so many issues.

From a configuration perspective, converting an upstream server to a downstream server is trivial. Go to Options | Update Source and Proxy Server and specify the new upstream server. Presto. Done. This is a non-issue to this point. The problem comes in when you want to make that formerly upstream server a *replica* of the new upstream server. Check the box. It's a replica. Done.

While setting the former upstream server as a replica Will Work, and Is Supported -- in almost every real-world scenario, what happens is that the former upstream server turned replica isn't actually a *replica* of its assigned upstream server. And that is what causes problems down the line.

Now.... the issues can be remediated with a fair amount of manual work and judicous implementation of the Server Cleanup Wizard...

But as a practical matter, it's almost always less time and effort to just blow it away and install as a fresh replica with a new database.

NOTE: KEEP the content store!!! You can reconcile the content store with the Server Cleanup Wizard and remove the files not needed after the initial replica sync.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

2013년 3월 21일 목요일 오전 1:28