none
Avg. Disk Sec/Read, how to bring it down ?

질문

• Hi

I started using performance monitor just recently and learning one step at a time

am wondering what could i do to get lower access time (and better Avg. Disc/Sec Read value ?)

This is the absolute maximum i got after monitoring the server 2 days..
    http://www.grabilla.com/0230f-3184770f-b10e-4558-af16-a11448e59861.png

will adding extra Hard Drives onto this RAID 0 (consisting of 5x 7.2K RPM Disks) *got no crucial files, only performance is my goal*
    Will doing that bring down the Avg. Disk/Sec Read value ??

Or RAID0 has absolutley nothing to do with access times ?!

Thanks,,,

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오후 9:02

답변

• Hi

I started using performance monitor just recently and learning one step at a time

am wondering what could i do to get lower access time (and better Avg. Disc/Sec Read value ?)

will adding extra Hard Drives onto this RAID 0 (consisting of 5x 7.2K RPM Disks) *got no crucial files, only performance is my goal*

Thanks,,,

More spindles = more IOPS. More spingles = more MBPS. With RAID0 hope you have a good backup :) RAID0 is not going to improve access time. Access time is about physics and not software. You need to go for SFF high speed rotation disks. Or go for SSD. Or throw in gigabytes of RAM cache. All all of the listed.

-nismo

i had doubts myself that adding extra disks onto RAID 0 wont bring down the: Avg. Disk Sec/Read
    thats why i asked
    and you have confirmed that to me thanks :)

Just wondering how to enable this caching thingy you are talking about ?!
    btw my server hosts Virtual Machines and every one of them is running his own OS and got his own allocated amount of RAM, also their disks are in .vhd format if thats not obvious !

do you mean i ned to use a specific application to cache files on the server (coz i got one btw!) ??

If you're lucky to own LSI MegaRAID you may want to give a try to their CacheCade software (SSD as a cache). Adding more RAM will result Windows Cache & Memory Manager keep more I/Os in memory so it's going to improve performance (esp. writes). Also you may want to install storage virtualization layer and export your VHDs not from SMB/CIFS file share but from SAN volume then you'll be able to add dedicated caching / deduplication helping I/O route.

-nismo

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 9:33

모든 응답

• Hi

Thanks,,,

More spindles = more IOPS. More spingles = more MBPS. With RAID0 hope you have a good backup :) RAID0 is not going to improve access time. Access time is about physics and not software. You need to go for SFF high speed rotation disks. Or go for SSD. Or throw in gigabytes of RAM cache. All all of the listed.

-nismo

2012년 3월 15일 목요일 오후 9:50
  • Hi

Thanks,,,

-nismo

i had doubts myself that adding extra disks onto RAID 0 wont bring down the: Avg. Disk Sec/Read
    thats why i asked

btw my server hosts Virtual Machines and every one of them is running his own OS and got his own allocated amount of RAM, also their disks are in .vhd format if thats not obvious !

do you mean i ned to use a specific application to cache files on the server (coz i got one btw!) ??

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오전 10:07
  • Hi

Thanks,,,

-nismo

thats why i asked

If you're lucky to own LSI MegaRAID you may want to give a try to their CacheCade software (SSD as a cache). Adding more RAM will result Windows Cache & Memory Manager keep more I/Os in memory so it's going to improve performance (esp. writes). Also you may want to install storage virtualization layer and export your VHDs not from SMB/CIFS file share but from SAN volume then you'll be able to add dedicated caching / deduplication helping I/O route.

-nismo

2012년 3월 16일 금요일 오후 9:33