none
Can't locate driver inf-files in WinPE

질문

• Hi all.

Got an annoying problem here using WDS installed on a Windwos 2008 R2 server.

My problem is initially that NIC drivers doesn't load when booting on default boot.win from Windows 2008 R2. I have located the drivers that should work with the specific NIC device on the desktop (a HP 8200 Elite). Next I injected the drivers into boot.win using DISM. After dismounting the image file, I mounted it again to check the driver status. Using DISM with the Get-Drivers parameter showed that the drivers was indeed in the image, but that the inf-files was renamed to OEM<nn>.inf. Looking at the folder structure at the mountpoint, I could verify the existence and location of these oem*.inf-files, which was at <mountpoint root>\Windows\inf. So far so good. I then imported this customized boot.win file to the WDS boot folder through the WDS Console,

Now, when booting on this customized boot.win, I still get an warning message stating that no NIC drivers has been loaded. Jumping to a prompt (<SHIFT><F10>) and searching for OEM*.inf from the root reveals...absolutely nothing!!!! Apparently the customized inf-files doesn't exist in the loaded image. REally weird since the existing was verified as described above.

And just in case you're wondering: No, the original ifn-files from the injected drivers was also nowhere to be found.

Can anyone explain to me what going on here?

Thanks in advance.

2012년 2월 23일 목요일 오후 11:29

답변

• Hi,

It seems that the third party network driver is not injected properly. I think you’d better follow the procedures included in the following KB article to verify the issue still remained or not.

Title: Error message when you start a PXE client to connect to a WDS server on a Windows Server 2003 SP1-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer: "WdsClient: An error occurred while starting networking"
    URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923834/en-us

Note: Step 2 and Step 3 are both vital to verify whether the network card driver is included in the boot image or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오전 8:21
    중재자
  • DISM is included in the WAIK. Of course it's available to you.

Just like you mentioned "After dismounting and remouting the image, and being able to enumerate the injected drivers using DISM's Get-Drivers -parameter (and being able to locate the oem*.inf files in the mounted image)".

So please let me know whether the Windows PE works properly or not after dismounting and remouting the image? If the failure occurs in Windows PE before the disk configuration page of the WDS client is completed, you can find the logs at the X:\Windows\Panther folder. Use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt, and then change the directory to the location. And post your findings here to get further analysis.

We could type the following command to generate general server health information:

WDSUTIL /get-server /show:all /detailed

This command causes general server health information to be logged in the Application log and in the System log.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

2012년 2월 27일 월요일 오전 7:37
    중재자

모든 응답

• Hi,

It seems that the third party network driver is not injected properly. I think you’d better follow the procedures included in the following KB article to verify the issue still remained or not.

Title: Error message when you start a PXE client to connect to a WDS server on a Windows Server 2003 SP1-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer: "WdsClient: An error occurred while starting networking"
    URL: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923834/en-us

Note: Step 2 and Step 3 are both vital to verify whether the network card driver is included in the boot image or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오전 8:21
    중재자
  • Hi James, and thanks for your input. I was not aware of the setupapi.app.log-file, and the posibility to find the PnPid there. That is a valuable information. Thank you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the utilities mentioned in the kb-article you link, was predecessors to DISM, and that DISM was reccommended over these tools, when manipulating win-images. As I'm using WAIK 2.0, I'm not even sure that these tools are available to me.

Bur what I wonder most about, is the fact that the oem*.inf files appears in the image when mounted using DISM, but doesn't appear in the image when the image is booted upon. That, I find, is very strange. It might be that I injected the wrong drivers, which of course could be the explanation the the warning-message. But after dismounting and remounting the image, and being able to enumerate the injected drivers using DISM's Get-Drivers - parameter (and being able to locate the oem*.inf files in the mounted image), I'm quite sure that the drivers is injected into the image. So once again, what is happening here, where does the *.inf file go when booting the image?

And yes, I have checked that I actually boot from the customized image-file.

Greetings,

Michael.

• 편집됨 Michael0775 2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오후 3:13
    2012년 2월 24일 금요일 오후 2:52
  • DISM is included in the WAIK. Of course it's available to you.

Just like you mentioned "After dismounting and remouting the image, and being able to enumerate the injected drivers using DISM's Get-Drivers -parameter (and being able to locate the oem*.inf files in the mounted image)".

So please let me know whether the Windows PE works properly or not after dismounting and remouting the image? If the failure occurs in Windows PE before the disk configuration page of the WDS client is completed, you can find the logs at the X:\Windows\Panther folder. Use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt, and then change the directory to the location. And post your findings here to get further analysis.

We could type the following command to generate general server health information:

WDSUTIL /get-server /show:all /detailed

This command causes general server health information to be logged in the Application log and in the System log.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

2012년 2월 27일 월요일 오전 7:37
    중재자
  • Hi,

How is everything going? I hope everything is fine with you. If there is any update from your side, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

2012년 3월 1일 목요일 오전 1:08
    중재자
  • Hi James.

It has been a very busy week, so I have had no time to look further into this issue until now.

First of all, yes of course DISM is available to me, and it is the tool I'm using. The tools I refer to as not being available, is the tools used in the link you provide: ImageX and Peimg.

After giving up on DISM I actually succeed in injecting a driver into the boot image using the GUI tool in WDS Mgmt Console (after imporing the driver into the WDS driverstore). When booting on this image, the NIC driver was loaded correctly, and the OS installation runs smoothless.

Based on this I don't think the previous described problems with injecting drivers using DISM, is caused by issues with WDS. Somewhere I probably is doing something wrong, when trying to inject the driver. I ´just can't see where. The procedure I use is as follow:

1. Mount the image:
      DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\bootimage\Myboot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\bootimage\mount
    2. Add the driver:
      DISM /image:c:\bootimage\mount /Add-Driver /driver:E:\networkdrivers\PRO1000\Win32\NDIS62 /recurse
    3. Checking the driver is actually loaded into the mounted image:
      DISM /Image:c:\bootimage\mount /get-drivers
    4. Saving and unmount the image:
      Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\bootimage\mount\ /Commit
    5. Finally the boot-image is imported into WDS through the WDS-console.

Now, as mentioned before, the problem is that the driver does not load when booting on this image, and the *.inf file (found using DISM with the /Get-drivers switch) cannot be found in the running PE-image (using Shift-F10 to the WinPE Console, and doing a Dir *.inf /s from the root). When mounting the image again, I can find the *.inf file in the mounted folders, and verify that the driver in fact is loaded using DISM /Get-drivers.

To me there's a discrepancy here. As everyone advices me to use DISM, as it is supposed to be more reliable that the WDS Console, I would like to know what causes this discrepancy, and how I should overcome it.

• 편집됨 Michael0775 2012년 3월 2일 금요일 오후 3:39
    2012년 3월 2일 금요일 오후 3:36
  • I am also having the same issue.  I am not using WDS.  I'm only using windows PE, but essentially seems to be the same problem.  I have a network driver that I inject using the exact same DISM procedure as Michael.  I verified it twice.  In fact, I was able to find the .sys files required in the driver store in my PE image but the oem*.inf files are no where to be found.  There seems to be a script or process during the startup of windows pe that removes the oem*.inf files from Windows\inf folder.  
    2012년 5월 23일 수요일 오후 7:00