none
installing a windows server 2003 on a laptop

Pergunta

• i am getting a blue screen while installing the windows server 2003 os on a lenovo laptop, it gives the blue screen while loading the os after the files are copied onto.

Is it becuase of the sata incompatibility, please help me with a solution.

sábado, 24 de julho de 2010 16:37

Respostas

• Haven't you tried to create virtual servers with the use of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007? I always use it and I am able to run five server simultanously.

Even if you are able to install W2K3 on your laptop, you will not be able to find drivers for your computer because Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system was not created to run them on laptops. I tried a such thing one day and I lost all communications with other PCs in my network. It is for that I don't recommend to you to install it directely on your laptop. Follow what I said and you will be able to run your server with no problems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Best regards.

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 18:42

Todas as Respostas

• while installing windows 2003 server on a lenovo laptop i am facing blue screen problems.

could you please let me know the remedy...

thanks

sexta-feira, 23 de julho de 2010 16:10
  • Hi,

Can you skydrive the minidump file, this is usually in c:\windows\minidump

-- Mike Burr
    sexta-feira, 23 de julho de 2010 16:49
  • you need to get 2003 cd which basicly compitable with your Laptop Hd.
    sexta-feira, 23 de julho de 2010 18:17
  • Can you skydrive the minidump file, this is usually in c:\windows\minidump

what is the concept of minidumping?

sábado, 24 de julho de 2010 15:17
  • If your drive controller is not natively supported then you'll want to boot the installation media. Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied driver for your drive controller in drive "A"

Finding the drivers for a laptop may be challenging. You could try the Windows XP driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. You'll almost assuredly need the chipset after the OS installation is complete. Again you might try the Windows XP chipset.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    sábado, 24 de julho de 2010 16:47
  • There are several problems you can face while trying to run Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system on a laptop.

Try to use the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and create a virtual machine running the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as an operating system. This will allow to you to avoid driver problems and the problem you are facing.

This is a link to download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

Best regards.

domingo, 25 de julho de 2010 19:04
  • There are several problems you can face while trying to run Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system on a laptop.

Try to use the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and create a virtual machine running the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as an operating system. This will allow to you to avoid driver problems and the problem you are facing.

This is a link to download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

Best regards.

domingo, 25 de julho de 2010 19:06
  • actually i want to load moss 2007 into my w2k3.

will Virtual PC 2007 completely solve the purpose.

Really Appreciate your Help!!!!

segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 17:41
  • You may want to ask them here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 18:02
  • Yes it will solve your problem. If you are not used to work on it, I can help you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Best regards.

segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 18:06
  • i have to configure the virtual PC for windows 2003 and then after doing that i have to put the 2003 server cd and install it?

segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 18:25
  • Yes, you create a new virtual machine on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. You specify that the machine is using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system. Then, after the creation of the virtual machine, you can use the CD or a ISO image of the Microsoft Windows Server Operating system to install it.

If you need other help, you can post and I am waiting for you to finish your install and check that all is OK.

Best regards.

segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 18:39
  • Hi NabX,

Did you goto the BIOS to disable the SATA Native Mode ?

If haven't try disable the SATA Native Mode and install the Windows Server 2003 again boot from the CD.

Disable the SATA Native Mode is OK for Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 OS.

Hope it work !

Hope you find the info useful
    segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 19:05
  • Even if he is able to install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system on his computer, this operating system is not intended to be used on a laptop. This will cause several problems with the drivers required to ensure a good functional level of the computer. It is for that it is recommended to use the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for this kind of scenarios.

I would like also to mention that I am always working with this software to run over five (5) virtual servers and I have no problems while running them simultanously.

Best regards.

segunda-feira, 26 de julho de 2010 21:08
  • Have your problem been solved?

Best regards.

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 05:43
  • my question i already have windows 7 installed, now will i b able install w2k3 server on it

actually, the install is shown but i am getting the first option disabled which says "install windows 2003 server... "

Help Please!!!

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 16:55
  • On BIOS, i see an option "SATA mode configuration"

which has either AHCI or IDE

But when i change to IDE, i get error messages. So no respite. Is this the option "which you were referring as SATA Native Mode " ?

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 17:14
  • Haven't you tried to create virtual servers with the use of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007? I always use it and I am able to run five server simultanously.

Even if you are able to install W2K3 on your laptop, you will not be able to find drivers for your computer because Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system was not created to run them on laptops. I tried a such thing one day and I lost all communications with other PCs in my network. It is for that I don't recommend to you to install it directely on your laptop. Follow what I said and you will be able to run your server with no problems.

Best regards.

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 18:42
  • i was looking for all the possible solutions....the good news is that i got it installed.

However, i am no quite happy with the resolution as the laptop has the resolution of 1366 x 768

How do i change the resolution(currently 1024 x 768) of the virtual pc of w2k3 to that?

Thanks...

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 19:01
  • I don't think it is possible to do a such thing. It is true that when you will use the full screen option, you will not be happy with. You can try to use Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 in place of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. I never used it but check if it give you a better resolution. I think it is free. This is a link to download it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualserver/bb676679.aspx

Best regards. 

terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2010 19:18
  • The mouse cursor movement is very slow and you cannot observe the cursor following and it appears to me that is because of the memory load. The programs are also taking time to load and run or do any actiivity. from the settings i chose to increase ram size more than 2 gb yet it is giving memory problem. 

sábado, 31 de julho de 2010 03:47
  • 512 Mo of RAM will be enough to run windows server 2003. Make sure there is no other applications running when you are using it. If the problem is persisting, use 1Go of RAM.

Best regards.

sábado, 31 de julho de 2010 12:12
  • Dear:

You have to change the hard drive settings in the Bios from sata to Pata or sata to compatible or sata to any other according to your bios.

After that it will work.

Best Regards,

M. Atif

segunda-feira, 25 de outubro de 2010 09:04