none
Problem restoring to large disks after Server 2008 r2 backup

Pergunta

• My server has two 146Gb SAS drives and is constantly running out of space. I bought two 300Gb drives to replace them. I backed up to a Buffalo Nasbox over the network, replaced the disks, configured the drive array to be a RAID1 again and tried to restore. Apart from wasting hours before realising that because the server was in a thin client VLAN and the NASBOX was in the default VLAN so the network path could not be found, I moved the server into the default VLAN and began the restore. When I came back it wanted to repair the installation so I cancelled and restarted the server. Because I have already previously installed windows server 2008 r2 it just booted back up to that copy and all my user profiles and programs were not restored.

Basically because I restored an image created on smaller disks I assumed that the program would just restore to the larger disk. Should it do that or will it reformat my new disks down to a RAID1 with only 146Gb capacity?

If it won't let me then I am stuck because the only other option is to put the original disks back in, which will wipe them when I reset the raid array and restore from the backup. Then I will have to spend 350 pounds on a Symantec Backup exec agent just for this job!

In the meantime my server farm has just one server left!

• Editado Dantech1 sexta-feira, 15 de março de 2013 17:31
    sexta-feira, 15 de março de 2013 17:30

Respostas

• Hi,

Windows Backup supports to restore to a larger disk so I think it should just work like you said. And even it will reformat your disk to a 146GB volume, you can still extend to get the 300GB RAID1 back --- but I do not think this will happen.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quinta-feira, 21 de março de 2013 15:34