none
Another Export.cab zero size problem - a few questions about what causes a large cab file?

Pergunta

• Hi,

I am also having the problem with trying to export the WSUS database where the cab file comes out to 0 kb. I have read all the threads here and tried the Server Cleanup wizard without any luck. Now my question is how to prevent a large cab file size. Is the size based upon the number of updates you have approved and downloaded or it is just based upon the updates that you have synchronized? For example if I synchronize all products which comes out to about 29000 updates, does that cause the large cab file problem or is it only based upon how many of those i approve?

I had previously approved all updates and downloaded the full 120GB worth of updates, then i uninstalled WSUS and reinstalled it but it used the same database so I may have the problem where the updates are still there?

Should i start with a fresh install, synch all updates and then only approve the few i need? or once again is it based on the amount that you sync and not the amount that you have approved and downloaded?

• Editado MrCab quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 00:24
    quarta-feira, 6 de fevereiro de 2013 00:23

Respostas

• For example if I synchronize all products which comes out to about 29000 updates, does that cause the large cab file problem or is it only based upon how many of those i approve?

Synchronizing ALL classifications does contribute to the problem. In the case where you have 29000+ updates, almost certainly that is because you've selected the "Drivers" update classification. You should seriously consider whether you need that classification. Another scenario in which large numbers of updates can contribute to this scenario is multi-language connected servers. There are a couple of options here. One is to separate the WSUS environments by language and run a separate connected/disconnected pair for each language. Another option is to run separate connected servers, and import those multiple servers into a single upstream disconnected server. The issue is not really with the number of updates, per se, but with the maximum size of the 'CAB' file specification -- which is 2GB.

While I've not had any direct conversations with the WSUS product group on this issue, I've read in other threads here that they are actively working on a resolution. My hope would be that it has something to do with all of the 'junk' being populated into the WSUS database tables that have absolutely no relevance post-Win2000 updates.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

quinta-feira, 7 de fevereiro de 2013 00:50
    Moderador