none
Cannot added DFS namespace to 2012 server

Pergunta

• I have a DFS namespace that was created on a Windows 2003R2 server many years ago. We recently added a new branch location and put out our first Server 2012 DC (which was an upgrade from a 2008R2 server that was on a different domain owned by the company we purchased). I am now trying to add our DFS namespace to this server and keep getting the following error on my 2K3 server when I try to add the 2012 server:

\\pacific.local\dfs: The namespace server \\77SERVER\DFS cannot be added. The server already hosts a namespace. You can host multiple namespaces only on Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition.

I have the DFS tools installed on the 2012 server and there are no namespaces showing. Just for grins I added and deleted a couple local namespaces after getting the error just to see what happens and those work fine.

Not sure what else to look at here I recently added a 2008R2 server and that went fine. No changes were made to my DFS between then and now.

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 01:24

Respostas

• Hi,

1. Please test to do this with command line instead:

dfsutil /AddFtRoot /Server:<server name> /Share:<sharename>

2. Try to use the Windows 2008 R2 DFS console instead of the Windows 2003 R2 version and see if there is any difference.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 08:08

Todas as Respostas

• Hello,

Since you have a lower functional lever with the 2k3 DC, the 2012 cannot host it. It must be hosted on the 2K3 server.

You can optionally move AD services to the newer 2012 servers and then demote the 2k3 to member servers so that you can raise the functional level and host DFS namespace on the 2012 server.

http://telnet25.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/raise-the-forest-domain-functional-level-win2008/

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 05:12
  • Sorry I did not specifiy the 2K3 machine is not a DC its a standalone fileserver.

I was wondering if it still might be something along these lines since it appears it's running the "2000 level of DFS not the 2008" after doing some looking around (but this I am not positive of I did not see a way to check the DFS level).

If it matters the forest is at 2003 funcational until I manage to replace about 10 more DC's but the DFS owner is not a DC. If this is still part of the problem would it resolve to issue to upgrade just this machine to 2012? So far I have been unable to find anything stating you can't add a 2012 machine to a 2003 DFS.

This is just a DFS share for a bunch of files all our users need nothing special...

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 16:53
  • Hello,

In order to run the new 2012 server as a DFS host, you will need to promote the DFS functional level from 2000 to 2008 which means getting rid of any W2k3 DC's. You can also try to update your Schema to 2003 R2 or 2008, this will ad new objects to AD for DFS. You may be able to then use 2008 DFS to host a namespace without promoting the functional level to 2008, but I am not 100% sure. I can't find any documentation on line to support this theory.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770287(v=ws.10).aspx

You said you added a 2K8R2 with DFS? Is it actually hosting a namespace or it's just a target? AFAIK, to host a namespace in 2008, you need your DFS functional level raised. Perhaps Monday some MS folks camn shed some light on this.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 17:08
  • Hi,

1. Please test to do this with command line instead:

dfsutil /AddFtRoot /Server:<server name> /Share:<sharename>

2. Try to use the Windows 2008 R2 DFS console instead of the Windows 2003 R2 version and see if there is any difference.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 08:08
  • I was able to add the 2012 server to the namespace from a 2008R2 server.
    segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 19:59