none
Migrate DC to Hyper-V (Disk2VHD)

Pergunta

• Dear All,

I have an old Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Service Pack 2 physical server acting as a Domain Controller and DNS server in my Active Directory domain. It is one of several DCs (the others are Windows Server 2008 R2 x64), but an old piece of software is bound to it and will talk to no other. I need to convert it to a VM on our Hyper-V host, and cannot demote-promote it or tamper too much with it. It has no FSMOs assigned to it (though it did in the remote past).

I am considering using Disk2VHD to create an image of it and then import it on the Hyper-V host, but have a couple of questions:

1) Disk2VHD can run "on a system that’s online", but I am wary enough of all that is going on in a live DC to prefer doing so when the system is down (I have other DCs, so a short downtime on this one is fine). How do I use Disk2VHD on a down system?

2) The server has two partitions, C:\ and D:\, should I create a VHD file per partition or one including both? What would be the difference?

3) Any pitfalls I should be aware of concerning moving the DC?

Thank you for your help.

Yours,

FD

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 16:22

Respostas

• Hi!

Please note that I'm not a Microsoft representative.

I believe that the recommended approach would be to degrade the current DC and install a new server and make that a DC instead.

However, it is possible to P2V a current DC using Disk2VHD, I've done that myself with a 2008 DC without encountering any issues. So here are my thoughts to your questions:

1) You disconnect the physical DC from your LAN, preventing any changes in your network being registered while running Disk2VHD. Also try not to make serious modifications to your domain during conversion.

2) I would suggest two separate VHD files. This gives you the possibility to expand the sizes of C: and D: drives individually in the future.

3)What's important is that after the conversion, you shut down the physical DC and never turn it on as the old DC ever again.

Finally, I want to underline that P2V migrating a DC is not recommended, and most likely not officially supported in case of a disaster event.

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 20:17

Todas as Respostas

• Hi!

Please note that I'm not a Microsoft representative.

I believe that the recommended approach would be to degrade the current DC and install a new server and make that a DC instead.

However, it is possible to P2V a current DC using Disk2VHD, I've done that myself with a 2008 DC without encountering any issues. So here are my thoughts to your questions:

1) You disconnect the physical DC from your LAN, preventing any changes in your network being registered while running Disk2VHD. Also try not to make serious modifications to your domain during conversion.

2) I would suggest two separate VHD files. This gives you the possibility to expand the sizes of C: and D: drives individually in the future.

3)What's important is that after the conversion, you shut down the physical DC and never turn it on as the old DC ever again.

Finally, I want to underline that P2V migrating a DC is not recommended, and most likely not officially supported in case of a disaster event.

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 20:17
  • you can simple use scvmm 2008 r2 for convert this physical server.if you dont want to pay for licensee just use eval version of scvmm 2008r2.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764232.aspx

Darshana Jayathilake

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 01:41
  • Hi,

I agree with Mike.

If you want to migrate a physical domain controller to virtual environment, the recommended method should be create new virtual machine and then set up it as an additional domain controller. Then you can remove the old one with proper procedures.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

• Marcado como Resposta Vincent HuModerator segunda-feira, 26 de março de 2012 13:23
    • Não Marcado como Resposta FDDCH segunda-feira, 26 de março de 2012 19:40
    quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 03:20
    Moderador
  • Dear Mr Andrews,

Thank you for the answer, but does it mean there is no way to convert a down system (say with a bootable CD) rather than just offlining it before running Disk2VHD?

Dear Mr Hu,

As my question stated, I cannot demote and promote the server.

Thank you all for your help.

Yours,

FD

segunda-feira, 26 de março de 2012 19:56