none
Restore a Windows Server 2003 System.

Pergunta

• My Server hard drve crashed yesterday.  We installed a new drive and installed a fresh copy of windows server 2003. We set up all the wizards for internet, network and email. Upon completion I started the backup/restore utility and selected the full backup for the day before.

Upon completion I rebooted.  All the file systems appear to be intact but the intranet (COMPANYWEB) and email is not coming in.  Are there any other settings I need to make?

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 05:53

Respostas

• I found the solution.  ALL service packs need to be installed prior to running "ntbackup".
    • Marcado como Resposta john-nj sexta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2013 02:16
    sexta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2013 02:16

Todas as Respostas

• Hi john-nj,

Can you please check where the companyweb site settings and mailbox reside? If they are not on the same problematic server, you may need to configure the SMTP or IIS settings to get them out.

Thanks and Regards
    David Shen
    MVP (File System Storage)
    HP Enterprise Services: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    View my MCP Certifications
    My Blog
    Contact me

sábado, 12 de janeiro de 2013 14:24
  • i believe the cause is the restore.  when i restored the OS it went into an infinite boot loop.   i had to use the CD to repair the system.  This changed some of the system files.  The problem appears to be the restore process.
    domingo, 13 de janeiro de 2013 17:43
  • Hi,

From your description, it seems that restoring process affected the operation system. So what are restored, only data or the restoring including operation system?

As the first step is install a new system when you prepare to repair the computer, it is recommended to only backup data so you could restore them in a new system.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 06:36
    Moderador
  • i installed a new OS too.

1.  booted from windows server 2003 cd.  Formatted drive and installed windows.  Upon reboot after primary install i selected <F8> to enter "system Restore". i bypassed the rest of the in stall process as directed by the server 2003 manual.

2. Started ntbackup loaded backup file.  Selected files and state to restore. 

3. WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I USE IN THE OPTIONS?????????????????

segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 12:33
  • Hello,

Did you restore system state? SQL Database that is used by SharePoint is sensitive to user account SID's. If you did not restore your AD accounts, the database will not run because of mismatched credentials. You can however, restore the SharePoint database to a different location, attach it using SQL management studio, and set up new administration accounts from your new AD.

If you are running WSS 3.0, here's a guide on how to attach the mdf database files to a new SharePoint. You may need to uninstall and re-install SharePoint and get it working with a default site before you proceed.

http://www.falconitservices.com/support/KB/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=50

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 14:49
  • yes; i installed all the user and system state files.  the loop is being generated when the system state files are restored.
    segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 20:12
  • Hello,

Can you boot into AD restore mode? Safe mode?

So you restored the entire image, files, AD, OS, etc all at once? Or did you reinstall the OS, then restore the data files, then restore AD? if that's the case, you need to make sure that your OS install is as close as possible to what you had before, AD schemas, service packs, etc.

Can you create a timeline of what you did to restore, because I am confused. In your first post you state that you installed the OS and restored only the data files. In your second post you said you restored the system state. Please describe in detail the restore process.

terça-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2013 01:01
  • 1. boot from CD.  reformat drive ntfs and start a base install.  Restarts after completion.

2. After first restart i enter the license and finish the base install. Restart.

3. Select <F8> Enter "directory restore mode". After boot to safe mode is completed i run ntbackup and start a "system Restore". yes i restore data files and state.

Note:  i first tried restoring only the data files and OS without the state and got the error that my *.DLL files were older.

So i need to install SP1 and SP2 first.  Okay; can i install only SP2 or should i do both?

terça-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2013 12:46
  • So after you restore the data, you get the DLL old files error. That means that the old OS was pre-SP1, right? Try restoring system state before installing any service pack to try and get as close a match as possible.

If you restore everything, data OS and system state, that's when you get the continual boot problem?

terça-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2013 13:51
  • I found the solution.  ALL service packs need to be installed prior to running "ntbackup".
    • Marcado como Resposta john-nj sexta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2013 02:16
    sexta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2013 02:16