none
Hyper-V Not Recognizing SCSI Drive

Pergunta

• Hello,

I am trying to add a SCSI Drive to a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and the VM is not recognizing it. The host machine is Windows Server 2008 R2 as well.

• The drive does not show up in Explorer or under Disk Management.
    • While looking under Device Manager the drive shows under "Other".
      • Under other it shows the HD name then "SCSI Disk Device"
      • Under properties of the drive the driver is "Unknown".
    • If I go to "Devices and Printers"  it shows under the "Unspecified" category but I cannot open it. I can only view the properties.
    • In the settings of the VM under "Integration Services" there is no SCSI option
    • I have ran the "Integration Services Setup"

As you can see I have tried a number of suggestions I have seen on this forum and others but with no luck. If anyone could help me see what I am missing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Sean

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 21:46

Respostas

Todas as Respostas

• Hello,

I am trying to add a SCSI Drive to a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and the VM is not recognizing it. The host machine is Windows Server 2008 R2 as well.

• The drive does not show up in Explorer or under Disk Management.
    • While looking under Device Manager the drive shows under "Other".
      • Under other it shows the HD name then "SCSI Disk Device"
      • Under properties of the drive the driver is "Unknown".
    • If I go to "Devices and Printers"  it shows under the "Unspecified" category but I cannot open it. I can only view the properties.
    • In the settings of the VM under "Integration Services" there is no SCSI option
    • I have ran the "Integration Services Setup"

As you can see I have tried a number of suggestions I have seen on this forum and others but with no luck. If anyone could help me see what I am missing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Sean

You may wish to add your disk as a pass-throu one, just follow this guide step-by-step:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v.aspx

or consider adding device as iSCSI disk. Biggest question is - do you need just raw capacity from this device or do you want virtualization layer being completely transparent passing all SCSI traffic to device AS IS?

-nismo

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 21:54
  • You are presenting a VHD to a VM using the virtual SCSI bus?  (under the settings of the VM, handing a vhd off the SCSI bus - you have to add a virtual SCSI bus before you can add VHDs to one).

If so, you need the Integration Components intstalled into the VM - there is compatibility there by default but it is not 100% until you install the Integration Components.

To add to the other responder; you cannot present a physical SCSI disk to a VM any other way than as a pass-through disk.  And this can use either a virutal IDE or virutal SCSI bus?

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2012 22:58
  • First, Thank you for your responses they are greatly appreciated. Also, I apologize ahead of time if I do not answer your responses 100%.

I should have mentioned more details of the setup I am using. Currently, I have an external hard drive attached to the VM Host with four 2TB hard drives connected via USB, each hard drive is its own partition. In the settings of the VM Guest I have added a SCSI controller and mounted a Physical hard disk as described in the pass through link supplied by VR38DETT. The mounted hard disk IS one of the external 2TB hard drives. I should also state the VM Guest is located on a Windows 2008 R2 Core server and being managed by another Windows 2008 R2 server.

As stated before I have ran through the "Integration Services Setup" accessed through the "Action" menu when connected to the Guest VM.

I also extracted the x64 .msi file that contains the drivers and tried to manually add the driver to the Guest VM. I did this by updating the drivers of the SCSI hard drive located under "Other devices" in the Device Manager. However, when doing so I receive an error stating "This device cannot start" I did notice that the driver supplied is simply called "Storage miniport driver" and no where does it state "SCSI". By the way this driver does already exists in the guest VM under "Storage Controllers" in the Device Manager.

BrianEh, when you state " you have to add a virtual SCSI bus before you can add VHDs to one" I assume you mean add the SCSI controller under the "Add Hardware" menu in the Guest VM settings.

Another avenue of approach that I have tried is to manual update/change the driver of the attached SCSI hard drive in the Guest VM to the "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" driver. This action did not cause an error stating "Device cannot start" however, it did fix the problem either.

I hope I answered your responses in a useful manner.

-Sean

• Editado Sean Blitz quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 11:58
    quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 11:58
  • Hi!

Try to add a second SCSI adapter to your VM and see if this starts ok with the updated integration services.

It's been a while since I encountered this behaviour, caused by virtual SCSI device stuck with old IS drivers:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/6079e75a-b779-46d8-8c34-b75bcbb438bd/

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 12:05
  • Hello Mike Andrews,

I do remember reading that post after I looked at it. 

I took your suggestion shut down the VM, added another SCSI controller, and turned the VM on. The VM added the "Storage miniport driver" and requested a restart, I did. However, the HD still did not show up in disk management. So I uninstalled both drivers from the device manager along with uninstalling the HD SCSI under "Other devices" and rebooted the VM. VM started up and requested another restart after adding the driver back, I did. Yet, once again still no HD under disk management.

Does the host need a SCSI adapter installed? I ask because the Core Server where the VM resides only has the "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" and my backup software SCSI driver ("Replay Vstor Adapter").

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 12:33
  • No, the SCSI adapter provided to a VM is a virtual device and has no connection to any SCSI device that might be physically present.

If you updated the integration services and added a second SCSI adapter to the VM, that showed up as a "Storage miniport driver" without any issues or exclamation marks, then you must attach the vhd file to that adapter in the VM settings in order for it to show up properly in disk manager.

Attach the disk to the second (functioning) controller in the VM setting, and see if it shows up in disk manager.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 13:08
  • I did attach a HD to the 2nd adapter right after I added the SCSI controller. However, I did not wait to add the HD after the drivers were installed in a "Hot Swap" manner, so I tested that avenue of approach. Yet, with no luck.

I did notice something interesting when I uninstalled the 2nd "Storage miniport driver". The Hard drive that I attached to the second SCSI controller disappeared from the device manager.

Once I add the second SCSI controller should I run the "Integration Services Setup" again? I did not because I assumed the drivers already existed.

Other things I have noticed:

• Both "Storage miniport drivers" are the same
    • The "Storage miniport driver" date is 6/21/2006. Version = 6.1.7601.17514

To help the troubleshooting I have attached a couple screen shots.

Guest VM Device Manager:

Host Settings:

• Editado Sean Blitz quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 14:51
    quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 14:42
  • Quite honestly, this entire thing has gotten way more involved than it should be.  And I am wondering if at this point in time more damage has been done than fixing (it happens in the task of troubleshooting).

So, I would expect the process to work like this:

Create a VM, install an OS that supports hot add (this is actually key), install the Integration Components, patch.

Add your disk to the hypervisor.  make sure the volume you wnat to presnet as a passthrough appears in DiskManager / diskpart as a drive, make sure it is not mounted by the hypevisor.

Power off the VM, add a SCSI controller, add your passthrough disk to the SCSI controller (you should also be able to add it to the IDE, but without Hot Add).

Boot the VM.  The VM should see the disk.

In your case the hithc is all about if your USB disk and how it mounts to the OS.  If it mounts so that the system has control (which ic what we want and the minority of devices), or if it only mounts in the logged on user space.  This is 100% a driver issue and no hacking will change it.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 15:00
  • BrianEh,

I would believe this is a driver issue IF it did not work with the IDE controller, but it does. Also, I have tried to simply create a 5GB VHD from the Host HD to see if that works with the SCSI controller, and it does not. However, I do agree that my issue should not be this difficult, that is why I posted my issue.

What do you mean "make sure it is not mounted by the hypervisor"?

Meanwhile I have other VMs I will try to mount the HD to those and see if I can isolate the problem further.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 15:23
  • What is the OS and SP level of the VM (and edition)?  I am wondering if that is the secret to the whole thing.

And, it works on IDE - so, is there a requirement to use a SCSI virutal controller?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 15:39
  • The VM is Windows Server 2008 SP2 Enterprise edition.

The reason why I need to use a SCSI is because I do not have enough IDE spots, I need two more. 

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 16:01
  • You aren't trying to present a single passthrough disk to multiple VMs are you?

Have you tried installing a clean VM, fully patched?

It does sound like a driver problem. However I would only expect it if you did not install the Integration Components into the VM - and you have stated that you did the "insert integration services setup disk" and I assumed you finished the installer at the VM console.

About the only idea I have left is to 1) try a clean host and / or 2) try a clean VM

The only other idea is some type of AV interaction.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 16:50
  • I am not presenting a single passthrough disk to multiple VMs at the same time but for testing reasons I am using the same passthrough on other VMs to see if I can get the SCSI to mount up to them. So far I have tried my SharePoint sandbox VM that I created a few months ago and the same issue is happening. 

Of course I am sure everyone that troubleshoots for a living that in the course of troubleshooting you stumble upon other issues. When you brought up the OS I check to see if the Host had the latest windows updates, it did not. So I am currently updating the host and the VMs and will test again. Once I have the results I will post back up.

You mentioned "I assumed you finished the installer at the VM console", There was not really much of an installer. I ran the disk it popped up stating "A previous installation of Hyper-V integration services has been detected". Then shows a quick load bar and said successfully installed. Then restart the computer. There was finishing the installer at a console. Is there something I may be missing there ?

By the way I am using Version 6.1.7 of Hyper-V Manager.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 17:14
  • Is SCSI device supposed to show up in the "Integration Services" under the Guest VM Settings? I supplied a screen shot as well.

quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 18:06
  • So I did some further research into my issue and stumbled upon this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/1f81fb61-3ebb-4f25-b2c5-2dd58b66c160/

The post referred to another post here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/390443/hyper-v-needs-usb-support

I followed NanoTera's suggestion to make a dynamic VHD inside the drive and mount that under the SCSI controller. It worked. I had to initialize the disk and put in online and it worked. 

• Marcado como Resposta Sean Blitz sexta-feira, 23 de março de 2012 11:30
    quinta-feira, 22 de março de 2012 18:37
  • I found this thread while searching the problem which the screen shots above match perfectly to my own.  Though this thread did not give me the answer, I found another thread which did, quoted below.

Basically, update the driver for the "other devices" hard drive by going to Browse, Let me pick..., and selecting Disk Drive under Standard Disk Drives.  This allowed me to pass a USB drive through using the SCSI interface.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/d046a4ed-12d0-4749-93e7-da32ce85a138

"Yes, it happened same with me, when I tried adding Transcend 160GB ext hdd

Then I went in Guest OS Device Manager, Ext Hdd listed under "Unknown Devices", Right Click - Update Driver - Browse to select one

There I selected "Disk Driver Instead of USB Drivers"

It fixed the issue. Now I can use the Ext Hdd as Another Drive under "Computer"

It also Lists in Guest OS - "Disk Management""

• Sugerido como Resposta Fregi Ventum segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 01:36
    • Editado Fregi Ventum segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 01:41 recreating URL as clickable link
    segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 01:36
  • i know this is a few months old, and it was probably already mentioned, but i didn't see it. 

make sure the drive (which you stated you could see in the host's disk mgmt) is OFFLINE on the host. 

If the host's disk management has the disk online, then it will have the disk locked. 

only after configuring external storage with fiber or iSCSI, can you configure a drive target to accept multiple concurrent hosts. 

Simple Windows Disk management will overlook any presented disks that are already in use by another system.  Even if you're not using the disk for anything on the host, simply having it online will take it exclusively.

sábado, 15 de junho de 2013 10:48