none
Windows Intune

Respostas

• Going forward, new features will be made available in the corresponding Windows Server release. WSUS 3.x downloads will continue to be supported with their respective EOL policies. We will continue to deliver hotfixes to WSUS 3.x accordingly.

We are also actively working on the next version of WSUS that will be released in the next version of Windows Server. I don't know where the idea that WSUS was going to be replaced by InTune came from, but I can assure you that's not any plan I have heard of...

• Marcado como Resposta antwesor segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 18:22
    sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 20:47

Todas as Respostas

• FYI - 

Now I know why there has not been much chatter on the next version of WSUS.

Looks like Microsoft is going to replace WSUS with Intune.

Windows Intune - Client Update Process

Interesting article anyway.

How do you figure? Sounds like more of a desktop mgmt solution vs. what WSUS currently does?
    quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2012 22:02
  • WSUS is no longer a separately released feature pack. WSUS is now a built-in role in Windows Server 2012 and it is under active development and maintenance. 

Thanks,
    Ben

quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2012 23:22
  • WSUS is no longer a separately released feature pack. WSUS is now a built-in role in Windows Server 2012 and it is under active development and maintenance. 

Thanks,
    Ben

Thx Ben - btw, we're currently on Windows Server 2008 for WSUS, is there an advantage to migrating to 2012? Is it better to do an in-place upgrade or bring up a completely new server?
    quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2012 23:24
  • The major updates to WSUS in WS2012 include:

• WSUS can use the Windows Internal Database and no longer requires a separate SQL Server installation. This reduces disk, memory, and servicing footprint.
    • WSUS now supports Server Core.
    • Additional security hardening that has to do with SHA2 hash verification and WUA update code path (note: this does not mean that we have left vulnerabilities in WSUS 3 unpatched)
    • PowerShell cmdlets and remote management
    • Server Manager integration

Additionally, Windows Server 2012 itself brings about some enhancements that may make the upgrade worthwhile:

• Data deduplication can reduce your on-disk storage footprint
    • Memory coalescing reduces the memory footprint by de-duplicating identical virtual memory pages.

Most customers generally prefer to bring up a new server vs. upgrading. If you have an EA or SA (or equivalent) I would say it's a no-brainer. If the upgrade is going to be an expense then you would need to run the cost/benefit analysis. WSUS is available in Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter edition and an evaluation download is available.

Regards,
    Ben

quarta-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2012 23:38

Thanks,
    Ben

Excellent, thanks Ben. Glad that the product is now integrated with Microsoft Windows Server 2012. I like all the major updates to WSUS as well.
    quinta-feira, 13 de dezembro de 2012 16:10
  • WSUS is no longer a separately released feature pack.

WSUS is still available as a separate download and role for Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Server 2008 SP2, and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Yes, there is a new version of WSUS available for Windows Server 2012, but it is not the only option available, nor will it be for the next seven years -- unless there's been some end-of-life for WSUS announced somewhere that I have not seen.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 19:01
  • The major updates to WSUS in WS2012 include:

• WSUS can use the Windows Internal Database and no longer requires a separate SQL Server installation.
    WSUS never required a separate SQL Server installation and has always used the Windows Internal Database by default -- since the release of WSUS v3 in 2007.
    WSUS now supports Server Core.
    This is new for Win2012, and I'm looking forward to putting my new WSUS v6 server on a Server Core VM.
    Additional security hardening that has to do with SHA2 hash verification and WUA update code path (note: this does not mean that we have left vulnerabilities in WSUS 3 unpatched)
    Nope. In fact, KB2734608 rolls all of those enhancements back to v3.2 - which was a requirement in order to be able to patch Win8/Win2012 systems.
    PowerShell cmdlets and remote management
    While the PowerShell features are exclusive to Win2012, 'remote management' (depending on what you mean by this) has always been available in WSUS, although it's a bit more tedious in WSUS v6.
    Server Manager integration
    WSUS has been integrated with Server Manager since Windows Server 2008 SP2 was released. (Actually it was integrated with an available Win2008 update prior to that time for WSUS v3 SP1 installations.)
    Data deduplication can reduce your on-disk storage footprint
    Not really relevant to WSUS, though, since there isn't any file duplication on a WSUS server.
    Memory coalescing reduces the memory footprint by de-duplicating identical virtual memory pages.
    Possibly a benefit, but I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which a WSUS server would have duplicate virtual memory pages. Wouldn't that require a scenario with multiple instances of the same program to be running?
    Most customers generally prefer to bring up a new server vs. upgrading. If you have an EA or SA (or equivalent) I would say it's a no-brainer.
    Actually there are a thousand reasons for NOT upgrading to WSUS v6 on Windows Server 2012 -- let's start by talking about what is required to remotely administer a WSUS v6 installation on Windows Server 2012!
    WSUS is available in Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter edition and an evaluation download is available.
    For what it's worth, given that the only difference between Standard and Datacenter edition is the licensing for virtual instances on Hyper-V hosts... there seems to be no real point to installing WSUS on anything except Standard Edition.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 19:12

Thanks,
    Ben

Excellent, thanks Ben. Glad that the product is now integrated with Microsoft Windows Server 2012. I like all the major updates to WSUS as well.

Ahh.. I suppose if you're spinning it like "you no longer HAVE TO download the separate bits", then this is a good thing and a true statement.

I just came from another thread where it was explicitly stated that it was "no longer available" as a separate download, so that's the mindset I was in when I read the above.

SolarWinds Head Geek

sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 19:14
  • FYI - 

This point never really got addressed....

FWIW, I don't believe that Intune was ever intended as, nor will ever be, a replacement for an on-premise patch management engine. Originally it was conceived as a tool to market to small businesses who didn't have the interest, or need, to deploy WSUS, but needed something better than Automatic Updates. From what I understand, that didn't happen, but Configuration Manager customers latched onto Intune as a way to manage remote systems, and the recent enhancements in Intune to support MDM capabilities tends to support that direction.

As for replacing WSUS, I strongly believe that there are significant disadvantages, and risks, to putting certain systems management tools 'in the cloud' -- and patch management and vulnerability scanning are at the top of that list of tools.

SolarWinds Head Geek

sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 19:15
  • Going forward, new features will be made available in the corresponding Windows Server release. WSUS 3.x downloads will continue to be supported with their respective EOL policies. We will continue to deliver hotfixes to WSUS 3.x accordingly.

We are also actively working on the next version of WSUS that will be released in the next version of Windows Server.

sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 20:46

We are also actively working on the next version of WSUS that will be released in the next version of Windows Server. I don't know where the idea that WSUS was going to be replaced by InTune came from, but I can assure you that's not any plan I have heard of...

• Marcado como Resposta antwesor segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 18:22
    sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 20:47
  • FYI - 

This point never really got addressed....

FWIW, I don't believe that Intune was ever intended as, nor will ever be, a replacement for an on-premise patch management engine. Originally it was conceived as a tool to market to small businesses who didn't have the interest, or need, to deploy WSUS, but needed something better than Automatic Updates. From what I understand, that didn't happen, but Configuration Manager customers latched onto Intune as a way to manage remote systems, and the recent enhancements in Intune to support MDM capabilities tends to support that direction.

As for replacing WSUS, I strongly believe that there are significant disadvantages, and risks, to putting certain systems management tools 'in the cloud' -- and patch management and vulnerability scanning are at the top of that list of tools.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Excellent points Lawrence, at least I got some things clarified about this new "cloud" product. Looks like it is NOT a replacement as I initially suggested. Once again I stand corrected.
    segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 18:20

Wow, I really stand corrected now. Thanks for the info Ben. I really did not intend to spread FUD around. I just wanted some discussion on the new product. It just looked like it did some similar functions that WSUS already does.
    segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 18:22