none
Problem with 3TB raid1 in configuration in windows 2012 with HP proliant microserver N40L

Pergunta

•  

I have purchased HP Proliant microserver N40L with 2 Seagate 3TB HDD for RAID1 configuration. I configured RAID1 from the bios utility and installed Server 2012. After the 1st clean install, I went and checked my RAID drives and It surprised by when I saw two separate 3TB hard drives in the disk management, Disk-2 is allowing me to create a GPT parition and Disk-1 is completely unaccessible. Ideally, Windows should have now shown me two separate drives at all in the hardware RAID1 mode. I tried lot of fixes without success, I even tried windows 2012 Essential hoping it might fix the probelm

I than install Windows 7 to check if it is my hardware, and to my surprise it worked, it showed me a one 3 TB drive and allowed me to create a one GPT parition of all full size, I copied some files and tested a fail safe scenario removing single hard drive and restarting and accessing those files.

I have also checked this in WHS 2011 without any problem

I now giving up, I don't understand why windows server 2012 has problem with my 3 TB disks. Windows 7 and WHS 2011 are older and I was thinking they would have problems with my 3 TB hard drives instead, they worked fine and Server 2012 is giving me a trouble, inpiste of being a new windows server OS

Immediate help will be appreciated

Thanks

segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 19:48

Todas as Respostas

• I'd get in touch with HP about operating system compatabilty / drivers for Windows Server 2012

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

segunda-feira, 4 de fevereiro de 2013 20:25
  • when I saw two separate 3TB hard drives in the disk management, Disk-2 is allowing me to create a GPT parition and Disk-1 is completely unaccessible

Can you send snapshot of diskmgmt to me? Are these disk visible in diskmgmt? At times I too have seen disks not getting visible in diskmgmt

Regards

Satish

terça-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2013 06:09
  • Thanks Satish and Patrick,

As I mentioned, I gave up with Windows server 2012 because of this issue so I can't send you the snapshot of diskmgmt of server 2012.

One thing I can tell you for sure is, 2012 was not taking Hardware RAID1 disks as 1 dist and disk-1 was failing over whatever I try to do (Initialize, create volume, convert to GP etc)

Right now I have windows 7 installed on this machine and both the disks (1 disk) configured properly. Please find the attached screenshot. I have also tested fail safe scenario withing windows 7 successfully

Please let me know if you really required the error screenshot, I will install server 2012 and send you the screen shot

Unfortunately I am not able to attach an image here, it says your account must be veryfied though I am MSDN premium scubscriber. Please let me know how can I attach a screenshot here?

terça-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2013 15:16
  • Hi,

You could upload your screenshot to skydrive. If the hardware RAID1 cannot be recognized correctly in Windows 2012, as Patrick mentioned, you could have a try to contact with hardware provider to see if there is any update (driver/firmware) needed.

Here are the steps to upload a picture.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quinta-feira, 7 de fevereiro de 2013 06:24
  • Thanks

Now it is asking me email ids of you guys when I try to Share, I don't have share with everyone option.

segunda-feira, 11 de fevereiro de 2013 21:11
  • Sharing with public should not be an issue. We already have multiple people shared their content. You can generate a link using right click on the item and it would give you further options,

Regards

Satish

terça-feira, 12 de fevereiro de 2013 06:25
  • I give up now, I can't upload the screenshot there

Do you really required error screenshot? Did anybody tried to recreate the issue?

segunda-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2013 16:12
  • I am having the same issue.

I could create a funktional RAID in Windows Server 2012 with the AMD RaidXpert (2x4TB WD RAID Edition). But the configuration is not in sync with RAID Controller BIOS. As far as i have found out, the new Drivers do not "talk" with the RAID BIOS correctly. HP would ne to update the AMD RAID BIOS to a Minimum of Version 3.3.1540.11 (and Later).

I hope HP will do this soon......

sexta-feira, 12 de abril de 2013 07:17
  • Configuration: N40L, Windows 2012 Essentials, 1 hp 250GB, 2x4TB wd40efrx.

I made using raid bios two logical drives:

- ld1 - raid ready i am using the 250GB hd for OS

- ld2 - raid 1 using the two 4tb disks.

Using the drivers/software from windows 2008R2 : 100412a-101846C-HP.zip and WHQL_SB8xx_RAID_2K8_3.2.1540.75.zip i was able to obtain a functional raid configuration using RaidXpert.

You need to install SB8xx_RAIDXpert.exe version 3.2.1540.10. Btw i experienced the same issue when i used RaidXpert version 3.3.1540.19.

In the end windows is reporting correctly 1 disk for the raid1. 

sábado, 19 de outubro de 2013 22:12