none
Which windows server roles are recommended to have on SQL Server 2008 R2 2 Nodes Failover Cluster?

Întrebare

• Hi,

Which windows server roles are recommended to have on SQL Server 2008 R2 2 Nodes Failover Cluster?

On my case I have installed the application server but when I got the servers the web server (IIS) was installed and my concern is related to this one. Is this role recommended on a SQL Server?

Thanks

APA76

11 iunie 2012 14:20

Răspunsuri

• A recommendation is to keep the minimum services, roles, features, etc. installed on a server. For SQL Server, you only need the .NET Framework and the Failover Clustering Feature. If you look at the article, the only reason why the author used the Application Server role is for incoming and outgoing remote transactions. This can be handled by MSDTC. For more information on MSDTC on a failover cluster, check out this TechNet article.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

11 iunie 2012 18:38

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

I recommend the roles be set as per this article: http://sqlbuzz.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/installing-sql-server-20082008r2-failover-cluster-part6/

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

11 iunie 2012 15:15
  • Thanks, per that article the application role is the one, so that indicates me that I should be removing the web server (IIS) role

Thanks

11 iunie 2012 17:11
  • A recommendation is to keep the minimum services, roles, features, etc. installed on a server. For SQL Server, you only need the .NET Framework and the Failover Clustering Feature. If you look at the article, the only reason why the author used the Application Server role is for incoming and outgoing remote transactions. This can be handled by MSDTC. For more information on MSDTC on a failover cluster, check out this TechNet article.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

11 iunie 2012 18:38