none
connecting 2 NIC to same network

Întrebare

• I'm using windows server 2008 r2 for using virtualization. My host has 2 physical NICs one used for host and other that can be used for guest OS networking. both NICs are connected to the same network, their configuration only differs in the IP address. Now the problem is the second NIC's network is shown as unidentified network despite the changes i make it to work. the host network is working perfect.there's a problem only with the second one.

Sampath_Kumar

8 iunie 2012 11:57

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

General speaking, it is recommended that you dedicate one physical network adapter for Hyper-V host management. You can let this adapter get IP address from DHCP server, you can also assign it static IP address.

By the way, as there is a dedicate network adapter for Hyper-V host communication. Then you can uncheck the box “Allow management operating system to share this network adapter” when you create the External Virtual Network bind to the second physical network adapter. Now you can attach the virtual network adapter of the virtual machines to this External Virtual Network.

12 iunie 2012 08:29

Toate mesajele

• This is simply the way it works.  You can't have two NICs on the same subnet in a cluster.  Been that way from the beginning.

Here's a good blog on this - http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/02/22/windows-server-2008-failover-clusters-networking-part-2.aspx

In fact, that's a great blog series to read to learn lots about cluster networking.

timcerl

8 iunie 2012 14:32
  • Hi,

General speaking, it is recommended that you dedicate one physical network adapter for Hyper-V host management. You can let this adapter get IP address from DHCP server, you can also assign it static IP address.

By the way, as there is a dedicate network adapter for Hyper-V host communication. Then you can uncheck the box “Allow management operating system to share this network adapter” when you create the External Virtual Network bind to the second physical network adapter. Now you can attach the virtual network adapter of the virtual machines to this External Virtual Network.

12 iunie 2012 08:29