none
Applying a DNS record only to one Subnet in the forest

Întrebare

• Hello all,

I have a mail server that sits in a DMZ at one branch location. We have mobile users that have their mail programs setup to go to mail.mycompany.com. But when they are inside the branch that houses the email server it wouldn't work. This was because I didn't have a DNS record setup for mail.mycompany.com. So I set up that record which made it work. <o:p></o:p>

My issue is that we have a VPN tunnel between corp and the branch offices. So when the mobile users move from the branch office that has the mail server to another office the DNS record doesn’t work. Because the tunnel does not allow users to see the DMZ where the email server is from the other offices. But it is all under the same domain just different subnets.<o:p></o:p>

I do have all the stores on their own subnets. So is there a way to have the record for Mail.mycompany.com point to the DMZ IP at the branch the mail server is located at. But have mail.mycompany.com at all other branches aim toward the WAN IP address of the mail server?

<o:p>Thanks in advance!</o:p>

• Mutat de AwinishMVP 24 iunie 2012 08:22 Moved to related forum (From:Directory Services)
    22 iunie 2012 16:53

Răspunsuri

• Hi

This seems be a Network Configuaration issue Please post in "Network Infrastructure Servers"  forum to get better response

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads

Hope it helps __________________________ Best regards Sarang Tinguria MCP, MCSA, MCTS Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

23 iunie 2012 15:42
  • On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:53:16 +0000, RTibhold wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello all,
    >
    > I have a mail server that sits in a DMZ at one branch location. We have mobile users that have their mail programs setup to go to mail.mycompany.com. But when they are inside the branch that houses the email server it wouldn't work. This was because I didn't have a DNS record setup for mail.mycompany.com. So I set up that record which made it work. <o:p></o:p>
    >
    > My issue is that we have a VPN tunnel between corp and the branch offices. So when the mobile users move from the branch office that has the mail server to another office the DNS record doesn’t work. Because the tunnel does not allow users to see the DMZ where the email server is from the other offices. But it is all under the same domain just different subnets.<o:p></o:p>
    >
    > I do have all the stores on their own subnets. So is there a way to have the record for Mail.mycompany.com point to the DMZ IP at the branch the mail server is located at. But have mail.mycompany.com at all other branches aim toward the WAN IP address of the mail server?

That depends on how you have your DNS configured and how the clients
    get the proper DNS servers when they connect. You'll need a DNS server
    in that branch office and another in the other office and the correct
    DHCP scopes. This really isn't an Exchange question, though.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    24 iunie 2012 16:21

Toate mesajele

• Hi

This seems be a Network Configuaration issue Please post in "Network Infrastructure Servers"  forum to get better response

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/threads

Hope it helps __________________________ Best regards Sarang Tinguria MCP, MCSA, MCTS Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

23 iunie 2012 15:42
  • On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:53:16 +0000, RTibhold wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello all,
    >
    > I have a mail server that sits in a DMZ at one branch location. We have mobile users that have their mail programs setup to go to mail.mycompany.com. But when they are inside the branch that houses the email server it wouldn't work. This was because I didn't have a DNS record setup for mail.mycompany.com. So I set up that record which made it work. <o:p></o:p>
    >
    > My issue is that we have a VPN tunnel between corp and the branch offices. So when the mobile users move from the branch office that has the mail server to another office the DNS record doesn’t work. Because the tunnel does not allow users to see the DMZ where the email server is from the other offices. But it is all under the same domain just different subnets.<o:p></o:p>
    >
    > I do have all the stores on their own subnets. So is there a way to have the record for Mail.mycompany.com point to the DMZ IP at the branch the mail server is located at. But have mail.mycompany.com at all other branches aim toward the WAN IP address of the mail server?

That depends on how you have your DNS configured and how the clients
    get the proper DNS servers when they connect. You'll need a DNS server
    in that branch office and another in the other office and the correct
    DHCP scopes. This really isn't an Exchange question, though.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    24 iunie 2012 16:21
  • Sorry, I thought I was in the DNS fourm when I posted. But I must of browsed away from it them hit ask a question.  Thanks for the reply though.
    25 iunie 2012 16:51