none
First IT job after college, help with server/branch deployment

Întrebare

• I was recently hired by a company as their first dedicated IT professional.

I walked into a network mess that has been pieced together over the course of 8 years.

My company currently has about 40 employees who all have outlook accounts (currently hosted offsite), a range of pc/laptops running everything from XP SP2 to Win7 x64.  We have a very small Access DB with 6-8 people accessing it throughout the week.  We also have a branch a couple hours away that I have yet to visit, so i have no idea what hardware is out there, but I would like to setup a Site-to-Site VPN as the two branches would liek to be able to print to each other,access their email and the like.

the CFO would like our emails to be handled onsite

My original idea was to buy a server along the lines of dual 2.14Ghz quad procs. 32GB RAM, a Raid 10 setup and MS Small Business Server.
    As Im researching Small Business Server more, Im learning about the many restrictions and how it seems less and less like something that will allow me to accomplish what I need to.

Would I be better to go with Win Server 2008 Ent, so I could virturalize my exchange/print/file/VPN servers?  Can Server 2008 act as a VPN server for a site-to-site scenario? Or would I be better going with a physical product like Sonic Wall for my VPN and leave Server 08 to handle the exchange/file&print servers virturally?

15 martie 2012 19:31

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to say congratulations for your first IT job.

Designed and priced especially for small businesses with up to 75 users, Windows SBS 2011 Standard is a complete solution designed for customers who want enterprise-class technologies in an affordable, all-in-one suite.

Built on Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows SBS 2011 Standard includes Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1, Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, and Windows Software Update Services.

The Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-on is a powerful data management and analysis solution that includes Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard technologies and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition for Small Business.

For the detailed information about the SBS 2011 standard, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 Standard
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/servers/Pages/sbs_overview.aspx

I think SBS 2011 Standard it’s OK towards your symptom. Towards your virtualization, you could use built-in virtualization – Hyper-V.

SBS is suitable for Small Business Server (Standalone server). If you go to the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, there are many things need to be done. And the cost will be higher than SBS: licenses for Windows server 2008, Exchange server 2010 .etc.

If you prefer the high availability of the mail Exchange server 2010, I think it will be better. In other words, it will cost more. As we know, CAS array, DAG are both not supported in SBS scenario.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

16 martie 2012 06:50

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to say congratulations for your first IT job.

Designed and priced especially for small businesses with up to 75 users, Windows SBS 2011 Standard is a complete solution designed for customers who want enterprise-class technologies in an affordable, all-in-one suite.

Built on Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows SBS 2011 Standard includes Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1, Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, and Windows Software Update Services.

The Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-on is a powerful data management and analysis solution that includes Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard technologies and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition for Small Business.

For the detailed information about the SBS 2011 standard, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 Standard
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/servers/Pages/sbs_overview.aspx

I think SBS 2011 Standard it’s OK towards your symptom. Towards your virtualization, you could use built-in virtualization – Hyper-V.

SBS is suitable for Small Business Server (Standalone server). If you go to the Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, there are many things need to be done. And the cost will be higher than SBS: licenses for Windows server 2008, Exchange server 2010 .etc.

If you prefer the high availability of the mail Exchange server 2010, I think it will be better. In other words, it will cost more. As we know, CAS array, DAG are both not supported in SBS scenario.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

16 martie 2012 06:50
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

22 martie 2012 00:58