none
Windows 2008 R2 Data CenterSP1 in a 2 node CSV configuration - Need to make our Hyper-VM SQL 2008 R2 highly available.

Întrebare

• Windows 2008 R2 Data Center SP1 in a 2 node CSV configuration  - Need to make our SQL 2008 R2 highly available, it is currently running on a single host.

Our SQL 2008 R2 instance is running on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 Hyper-V VM and our databases are local to the VM.

Can I migrate the Hyper-V VM to our CSV server? What would best practices dictate?

24 aprilie 2012 20:33

Răspunsuri

Toate mesajele

• Iam4Technology77,

As I understood , you have one VM which SQL is installed. Does it have Passthrough disk?
    I advise you to export your VM in Hyperv Manager to another location. (You should shudown the VM)
    Copy the Exported VM Folder to CSV.
    Import the VM in Cluster node in Hyperv Manager ( Do not Start)
    Go to Cluster Manager and Add Resource. Choose Virtual Machine.
    You will see the VM there. Click to checkbox. Next. Finish. It will come as High Available.
    (If you dont see the Virtual Machine means it is started therefore you will not see the VM in adding Resource)
    In Failover Cluster you can start and test Live Migration if you want.

Hope that it will useful for you.
    Sincerely,
    Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

24 aprilie 2012 20:52
  • I need to change what I am looking for, I gave you the wrong information. We are already on a CSV and highly available.

First the disks are virtual disks on our VM. It's a virtual hard disk on the VM,  SQL_disk_1.vhd and SQL_disk_2.vhd.

Our SQL VM is already highly available on our CSV.

We need something that functions in the same way as our legacy solution but we want to do it with newer technology.

The SQL instance must never go down. I need to patch the server SQL is running on.

In our legacy solution we have a 2 node SQL cluster running Windows 2003. When it is time to patch, I patch the non active node and reboot it. Then I fail over my SQL instance to the other node, patch that server and reboot it. So I am able to reboot and patch each server without ever having the SQL instance go down.

Now we are on a Windows 2008 CSV Hyper-V host and our SQL server is 2008 R2. I need to keep my SQL instance up while I patch my server. But this is a Hyper-V vm on a 2008 CSV.

Is there a way to do this or do I need a different solution all together, i.e. a 2008 2 node SQL cluster. ??

24 aprilie 2012 21:46
  • Hi,

Yes, you can do it. You can check the following guides.

Hyper-V is the best virtualization solution for SQL Server —SQL Server White Paper

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D82F8F-759C-49B7-BD70-5BAAA7F5E477/Hyper-V%20is%20the%20best%20virtualization%20solution%20for%20SQL%20Server%20(Final).docx

Virtualising SQL 2008 R2? You may just find this useful!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mattmcspirit/archive/2010/06/05/virtualising-sql-2008-r2-you-may-just-find-this-useful.aspx

Running SQL Server 2008 in a Hyper-V Environment

Best Practices and Performance Considerations

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/9/4/d948f981-926e-40fa-a026-5bfcf076d9b9/SQL2008inHyperV2008.docx

High Performance SQL Server Workloads on Hyper-V Whitepaper

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/taylorb/archive/2010/07/06/high-performance-sql-server-workloads-on-hyper-v-whitepaper.aspx

25 aprilie 2012 04:44
  • Windows 2008 R2 Data Center SP1 in a 2 node CSV configuration  - Need to make our SQL 2008 R2 highly available, it is currently running on a single host.

Our SQL 2008 R2 instance is running on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 Hyper-V VM and our databases are local to the VM.

Can I migrate the Hyper-V VM to our CSV server? What would best practices dictate?

You can either configure guest VM cluster with a pair of VMs running SQL server or you can configure database mirroring (could be faster). Give a try to both to find out the one working for you in the best way :)

-nismo

25 aprilie 2012 16:26
  • It sounds like you already have experience with failover clustering and that met your needs.  You can do the same thing with your VMs, assuming you have an iSCSI target to use as shared storage or some 3rd party cluster integrated replication solution.  As Nismo mentioned, database mirroring may be another option but there are certain limitations to database mirror so you should investigate that fully before you go down that route.

I suggest you actually take the VMs out of you 2-node Hyper-V cluster and keep them running as non-clustered VMs, one on Node1 and one on Node2.  This way you ensure that the VMs are never running on the same node, which would defeat the purpose of clustering since the node would be a single point of failure.

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

26 aprilie 2012 05:09
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestion? I want to see if the information provided was helpful. Your feedback is very useful for the further research. Please feel free to let me know if you have addition questions.

27 aprilie 2012 06:01