none
server 2008 redundancy

Întrebare

• we just purchased a new server from Dell (PE T310) and it is running Windows 2008/Exchange 2010 including file and print services. We want to look at setting up a 2nd server to mirror that unit. We did not consider vmware at the time. what are our options to connect these two units so that we can create a backup server incase the primary server goes down?
    22 martie 2012 13:21

Răspunsuri

• Hi,

I am not an Exchange professional, however, as far as I know, in Exchange 2010, you can use DAG if you want to have a redundancy.

By the way, if you want to perform the further research about Exchange 2010, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

22 martie 2012 15:37

Toate mesajele

• Windows Server Failover Clustering WSFC) is designed to do exactly what you are asking, plus some.  WSFC provides for redundant hardware resources and a system to detect failures and automatically engage the secondary. 

This is a very high-level description of the process.  The exact details vary according to the specific application.  Exchange has an excellent WSFC-based redundancy implementation. 

A word of advice since you seem very new to this technology.  I recommend either building a test platform and getting a lot of practice or hiring someone to build this and teach you to operate it.  High Availability and Disaster Recovery are complex topics and require planning as well as good technical solutions.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

22 martie 2012 15:31
  • Hi,

I am not an Exchange professional, however, as far as I know, in Exchange 2010, you can use DAG if you want to have a redundancy.

By the way, if you want to perform the further research about Exchange 2010, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

22 martie 2012 15:37
  • Another option might be to use Hyper-v and put Exchange and File/print into separate VMs and make these VM's highly available using a cluster between the two servers.

Visit my blog about multi-site clustering

22 martie 2012 17:15
  • Another option might be to use Hyper-v and put Exchange and File/print into separate VMs and make these VM's highly available using a cluster between the two servers.

Visit my blog about multi-site clustering

Better option is using guest VM clustering. HA does not mean "no downtime" and failover cluster does (nearly).

-nismo

23 martie 2012 01:44