none
VMSMP Eevnt ID 28 Warnings

Întrebare

• Hi All,

I am receiving several of these warnings in my system log.  I have checked seevral posts and have not found any useful information on how to resolve this.  It produces approximately one of these events a second.  It happens whether there is 1 VM running on a host or 5 VMs running.  It logs n warning for each VM repeatedly.  There are no MAC address collisions; all cluster hosts use different dynamic MAC ranges they assign to VMs and no two VMs are using the same MAC address.  There are no connectivity problems to the VMs themselves, just thousands of these warnings happening on the Hyper-V hosts.  I have 7 nodes in my cluster and no matter which host I move the VMs to, this just keeps occurring.  If I recall, this has been happening since the beginning.  I have 4 physical NICs divided into 2 teams.  1 team is for OS management and the cluster network.  The other team is used for VM traffic only.  I do not have an IP assigned to this interface and am using VLAN tagging configured in the HP Network Config Utility.  VLAN tagging is also configured for each VM in the VM settings.  Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Log Name:      System
    Source:        VMSMP
    Date:          6/17/2010 12:18:47 PM
    Event ID:      28
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      *******7.dev.*****.com
    Description:
    Port 'C36380C5-FAEC-4CA3-AEB4-98ADFD2214DB' was prevented from using MAC address '00-15-5D-C7-45-08' because it is pinned to port '8E59BE88-007F-4BE8-A25F-BC4316D98C25'.

When additional VMs are on a host the same event gets generated except that the MAC address is different and the 'pinned to port' is different.  The first port listed in the description is always the same on a particular hyper-v host.

17 iunie 2010 17:37

Toate mesajele

• Please take a look at this and see if it helps: http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/07/15/hyper-v-mac-address-allocation-and-apparent-network-issues-mac-collisions-can-cause.aspx
    Cheers, Dan Boldo – Program Manager Hyper-V, Windows Core OS
    17 iunie 2010 17:56
  • I have seen this article earlier in the week and it doesn't appear to be related to the problem I am having.  Each VM has a unique MAC address.  All dynamic ranges on Hyper V hosts are different and do not overlap.
    17 iunie 2010 18:39
  • I solved this problem by changing the Team type from 'Generic Trunking' to 'Link Aggregation' (Broadcom).
    6 octombrie 2010 10:34
  • Sorry, I have the same problem, and I have allready my Team as Link Aggregation.  I have to Hyper-V servers and the MAC range is different in both, also I have a SCVMM and is different on it too.

I have 60 vm and in one hour I might have 15000 messages on log.

Thanks

Joan Roig Xduc Informàtica
    14 octombrie 2010 16:56
  • Hi Joan,

I have seen many issues with broadcom drivers + teaming in hyper-v environments :-( can you confirm that you are using latest available version of drivers+bacs?

Regards

Ramazan

Ramazan Can [MVP Cluster] http://tekktips.spaces.live.com/
    14 octombrie 2010 21:00
  • Sorry, for not answer you in all this time, I think I have the latest drivers, but in a few days I will have to reboot the servers so before it I will try to donwload.

Thanks , I will tell you something

Joan Roig Xduc Informàtica
    8 noiembrie 2010 14:50
  • Try deleting the virtual switch tied to that physical NIC.  Then recreate it.  That worked for me.  I shut off all vms and unplugged the physical NICs and was still receiving the errors which made me think it was the virtual switch.  Turns out deleting it and recreating it resolved the issue.
    27 martie 2012 02:36