Odd Win Server 2008 R2/Win7 freeze

Întrebare

• I have both Windows 7 7100 and Windows Server 2008 R2 7100 running in ESXi virtual machines, and I've noticed a very strange freeze condition in both of them.  Browsing folders.  Not always, but often.  If I enter a full folder path into a Windows Explorer window or the Run box, the folder will open up fine, but if I browse to another folder by clicking, either on local or network storage, the machine will often freeze up seemingly completely.  However, when the machine is frozen, if I attempt to ping it, I still get replies.  I am able to telnet in and run commands, but the commands often hang.  I am also able to establish a Remote Desktop connection, but it hangs endlessly at logging in, never shows me the desktop.

Oddly enough, this problem ONLY occurs while using the machine's console from the vSphere client, but if I terminal in with an RDP client, this issue is nonexistant.
    4 iunie 2009 15:30

Răspunsuri

• I've been able to replicate this issue using different hardware and ESXi 3.5 as well as 4.0.  I'm just going to have to accept it for the time being, and hope it gets resolved with the final release later this year.
    8 iunie 2009 19:23

Toate mesajele

• hi there,

we use ESX environment out here, and i have experienced the same problem couple of times, and i feel this is much to do with ESX becauase when i deployed the same VM workstation ( not virtual infrastructure client ) the issue didnt crop up , i have tested this for more than a week.

and also i have tested this behavior on windows Virtual server and i havent seen the issue.

sainath windows driver development.
    5 iunie 2009 08:19
  • hi jsfriedman32,

please let us know how to move further on the issue, so that we will be more than happy to help you in resolving the issue.

sainath windows driver development.
    8 iunie 2009 16:33
  • I've been able to replicate this issue using different hardware and ESXi 3.5 as well as 4.0.  I'm just going to have to accept it for the time being, and hope it gets resolved with the final release later this year.
    8 iunie 2009 19:23
  • This issue appers to be related to a bug with the VMware tools SVGA driver, re: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1011709

I've run into the same issue with Server 2008 R2 RTM on vSphere+ESX4. Once the VMware tools are installed I was experiences crashing when scrolling through a directory tree.
    8 septembrie 2009 07:57
  • Well, mine was crashing when i try to opens up SQL Server 2008 SP1 SSMS ?
    /* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    21 septembrie 2009 23:05
  • Thanks very much for the link to the VMWare KB.  The first several hits on my Google search got me newsgroup posts.  This was the first one to a VMWare KB article, and it solved my issue.

Basically, you should run 2008 R2 or Windows 7 on ESX 4, Update 1, nothing earlier than that.  Once the VM is running on a host with that revision of ESX, install the VMTools.  Or as a workaround, disable the VGA driver installed by the earlier VMTools.

Cheers.
    19 februarie 2010 17:41