none
Run a specific program for a user when log on

Întrebare

• According to Microsoft web site,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754110.aspx

for Window 2008 R2, it is possible to do the following:
    "Specify the program that opens whenever the user connects to an RD Session Host server. The program specified is the only program that can be used by the user in the Remote Desktop Services session. When the user closes the program, the connection to the RD Session Host server closes."

I tried to test this function. I tried to start the Internet Explorer by specifying C:\Program Files\iexplore.exe, in the User Account Environment Tab
    Unfortunately, I can not make it happen. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Below is what I did:

Server Manager => Roles => Active directory Domain Services => Active Directory Users=> My domain name => Users => Right click on " User Account Name" => Properties => Environment Tab => Program file name => I entered " C:\Program Files\iexplore.exe".

I unchecked all Client Devices. I log off and try to log in to the user account, iexplore.exe did not start.

Thanks for your help
    21 iunie 2012 15:39

Răspunsuri

Toate mesajele

• Hi,

This has to be done in Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration or using GPO.

Follow this MS article to specify a Program to Start Automatically When a User Logs On
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770821.aspx

Best Regards,

Abhijit Waikar.
    MCSA 2003 | MCSA:Messaging | MCTS | MCITP:Server Administrator | Microsoft Community Contributor | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

21 iunie 2012 15:48
  • Hello

Please check if the specified file exist of the remote computer at the same path (File name should be same) and is accessible using the RDP Users Login ID.

Also make sure you have checked the "Start this programme on logon" check box under environment Tab of users properties

Try on someother Machine or Users ID after configuaration.

You may also achieve the same using GP refer below link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731296.aspx

Hope it helps __________________________ Best regards Sarang Tinguria MCP, MCSA, MCTS Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

21 iunie 2012 15:57
  • To get a better response, i would recommend to post your query into the RDP forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/threads

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

21 iunie 2012 16:21
  • Hi,

Agree with Abhijit, he has provided the right article as reference to specify a program to start when users connect. You could try the method to see if it works.

In addition, we could try to use a logon script to start the application. For scripting related issue, I suggest we ask in the script forum.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/ITCG/threads

Regards,

Andy

22 iunie 2012 07:28
  • Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be looking into them to see whether they will solve my problems.
    23 iunie 2012 10:50
  • I tried to follow up on the suggestions made above. Specifically, I tried to use GPO so that a specific program, in my case notepad.exe, will run after user log on. Unfortunately, I was not successful. I did not try scripting as I am not familiar with scripting. Would appreciate learning what I did wrong.

What I did is described below:

1. I created an OU, called "My Users",  as follows: ADDS=>ACtive Dreictory Users and Computers => Mydomain.com => My Users

2. I created a gpo in the OU, "My Users", called "User Group-1".

3. I created an OU, called "Users",  as follows: ADDS=>ACtive Dreictory Users and Computers => Mydomain.com => "Users" .

4. In the OU, "Users". I created a user account, called "First User".

5. For Properties of "First User", I made the following settings.

Tab = Member of: "Domain Users", "Remote Desktop Users", GPO = "User Group-1", and and OU = "Users"

Tab = Environment: Start the following Program at longon, "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"

6. Using Group Policy Management Editor Console, I made the following setting for policy of GPO="User Group-1"

User Configuration => Policies => Administration Template => Systems => Run Specified Programs during log on => "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"
        User Configuration => Policies => Administration Template => Systems => Log on => Run these programs during logon => "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"
        User configuration => Window Components => Terminal Services => Terminal Server => Remote Session Environments => Start a program on connection => Program path and file name => "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe"

Any help will be much appreciated.

25 iunie 2012 14:10