none
Export/Import VM on Hyper-V with error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005).

Вопрос

•  

Hi,

I have VM, its name VMserver2008_Two, on host VMS2008_Test1. I have tried to migrate VMserver2008_two to another host, VMS2008_Test2. But it failed with this message: 'Export failed for virtual machine 'VMServer2008_Two' with error 'General access denied error' (0x80070005).

Both host is Server 2008 with Hyper-V RC1 and same domain. And I did this as domain administrator.

Here are steps I did:

- Turn off VMServer2008_Two

- Right click on VMServer2008_Two and choose Export

- At Export Path, I browse to another host: \\VMS2008_Test2\c$

- Then hit Export tab

- After that I got that message.

Please help me and let me know what I did wrong.

Thanks

3 июня 2008 г. 19:58

Ответы

•  Export can only be used to a local path (onto a local mounted volume).

The VMMServer runs on the local security context and does not have access to any shares at all.

You need to export locally, then copy the exported folder to your desired destination, then import.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Предложено в качестве ответа BrianEhMVP, Moderator 4 июня 2008 г. 18:46
    • Помечено в качестве ответа Chang Yin 17 июня 2008 г. 2:27
    3 июня 2008 г. 22:48

Все ответы

•  Export can only be used to a local path (onto a local mounted volume).

The VMMServer runs on the local security context and does not have access to any shares at all.

You need to export locally, then copy the exported folder to your desired destination, then import.

• Предложено в качестве ответа BrianEhMVP, Moderator 4 июня 2008 г. 18:46
    • Помечено в качестве ответа Chang Yin 17 июня 2008 г. 2:27
    3 июня 2008 г. 22:48
  •  That is the way I did. Thanks for your reply.
    4 июня 2008 г. 18:25
  • Are there any suggestions for a workaround?  Expecting there to be enough free disk space to duplicate a VM will be unrealistic and unworkable in many production systems.

Example in my case:  147 GB disk with 3 VMs consuming about 110 GB.  I need to export a VM that's about 50 GB.  Obviously not enough disk space.

I have tried to export just the config (after fully shutting down the VM).   I copy that config to the new chassis, and then copy the .VHD.  But when I try to import at the other end, I get the error that the VM state is not present.  (forget the exact syntax, but there were no snapshots made and the VM was fully shut down prior to export)

Do you know if MS plans to add a network-aware export component?  Being able to copy to \\newserver\x$\newpath  directly would be an ENORMOUS benefit.

• Изменено rebus9 8 октября 2008 г. 1:35
    8 октября 2008 г. 1:35
  • Somehow this in some way relates to the thread I made on 'Hyper-V Remote File Browsing' but I still haven't quite got my head around what the point of 'Hyper-V Remote File Browsing' is for if browsing the remote Hyper-V server for importing a VM from the remote Hyper-V Server is not supported.
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    8 октября 2008 г. 3:49
  • Due to the security context issue, the Hyper-V VM Management service cannot see beyond the local server physical resources.

When you login to a Windows Server as a user you execute commands in that user security context.

Actually, either way to need physical space to move the VM to.  Whether that be a file share, or another server.

I will update this thread in a couple days with a tool that may help - stay tuned!

But, the big caveot that you must be aware of.  Make sure that you do not have any snapshots associated with your VM.  This will prevent any copy operation that you want to do.  
    Hyper-V Export is the only operation that fixes up snapshots to make a VM portable.

So make sure you delete all snapshots and then power down your VM to give those snapshots time to merge.

8 октября 2008 г. 14:45
  • Will stay tuned for the tool.

I know Hyper-V is still a work in progress, so I'm cutting it some slack.  On my wishlist so far are:

1)  If Hyper-V manager is not network-aware, add a component to the Import/Export function that IS network aware.  Having to export to a local disk (which takes time) and then manually copy to a network share elsewhere (which takes more time) is too clumsy.  Being able to Import from, or Export to, a network share would make the process more elegant and-- perhaps most importantly-- eliminate the problem of inadequate local disk space currently required for export.

2)  Ability to easily shift the VM config and VHD(s) from one local drive to another, without having to export/import.

3)  Performance improvements.  I've run my own high-resource-utilization tests on the same physical machine.  First I ran them as a stand-alone Server 2003 instance.  Then I ran a P2V migration, creating a fixed-size .VHD of this machine.  Next, I installed a bare hard disk of the exact same make/model from the same batch, installed Server 2008 and Hyper-V role, added the VM, installed Integration Components, and ran the same tests on the virtualized instance.  Performance on all tests in virtual format were consistently around 75% of the physical instance results-- a 25% performance loss for virtual vs. physical.  Tests consisted of video encoding (strictly converting bits, no graphics rendering), Zipping a 2 GB file, and running an MD5 hash on a 10 GB file.  The first two tests stress both CPU and disk I/O, while the MD5 is primarily disk reads.

I'm sure others can add to this list.

• Изменено rebus9 8 октября 2008 г. 21:18
    8 октября 2008 г. 21:17
  • Okay, here is the link I promised:
    http://www.citrix.com/English/SS/downloads/results.asp?productId=683148

It is called "Project Kensho" and it is from Citrix - so I won't discuss it much here.

Give it a whorl.  Ask questions in its forum - you will find me there as well  ;-)

14 октября 2008 г. 15:28
  • Brian,

Looks very interesting, without signing up to the Citrix site (yet) I did a quick search and came up with this Youtube demo. :)
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    14 октября 2008 г. 15:36
  • Yep.  Almost as good as me being there, as you get to listen to me too.  :-)

You can learn all you need here:
    http://community.citrix.com/display/xs/Kensho

14 октября 2008 г. 16:06
  • Hi

You can export to a network share if the user running the Hyper-V Manager on the source machine AND the source machine computer account have share AND file system permissions on the destination folder. This is also covered in the Hyper-V release notes and in Jose Barreto's Blog.

Happy exporting.
    22 марта 2009 г. 2:18
  • I have been trying everything and still cannot export to a network share without getting 'General access denied error' (0x80070005).

I have given the machine Full Control of the share/folder. I have tried giving Everyone/Full Control of the share/folder. Gave the Network Service Full Control etc etc.

I cannot escape the error and export off to a network share. Any other hints or tips?

24 марта 2010 г. 14:24
  • Did you apply the permissions at both the share and NTFS level?

FYI - Everyone does not equal "everyone" - this is a case where you must be explicit.

24 марта 2010 г. 15:11
  • Yes. I applied all server names with Full Control to both the share and NTFS volume. I was wondering if I have to reboot a server or restart a service pehaps?

24 марта 2010 г. 15:49
  • I am having a similar problem with exporting.

I exported locally and then copied the exported folder(s) to the remote system.

When I Import, I get the following error:

Failed to Import the Virtual Machine from Directory 'I:\VMExports\ICVerify\'

Failed to import the virtual Machine from import directory 'I:\VMEports\ICVerify\'.  Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003)

The original machine used the default location for the VM.  The target system uses a different path, I:\vmsite.  I've tried changing the conf.xml and the .exp file to match, but that doesn't work either. 

Brantley

24 марта 2010 г. 18:00
  • I hope that "I" is a local volume.

If "I" is a mapped drive it only exists in your personal security context and not the security context of the host.

And, If you copy an Export - you need to copy the entire folder structure (the root folder created and all children).

24 марта 2010 г. 21:24
  • Did you note this in teh comments fromt eh post that Vincent referred to:

I have no idea what the issue is (I don't use Windows 7 as a file server), but I was able to successfully export if I gave EVERYONE "full control" on the share (I also had  the exporting computer in the local administrators group, and had granted full access to the directory in NTFS).

24 марта 2010 г. 21:27
  • Hi all, when I try to export (via remote desktop /admin at our HyperV) to a share, it creates the folder (with NTFS owner = me) but fails with "general error / access denied" when go to the file iself.

Since our servers are in a locked room, can't go to the console EVERY time we need to export the VMs!!!

Didn't tried to export to a network share via scripts, too, but I guess will incurr in the same issue...

24 июня 2010 г. 7:14
  • As the original "Answer" post states, this fails because the LocalSystem account doesn't have access to network resources.  However, you can supply LocalSystem with credentials to access that share using PsExec and the "net use" command:

First, grab the PsTools from here.  Stuff them in your System32 folder, or at least in the working directory that you'll perform the next steps from.

1. Open an elevated command prompt: Click start, type CMD, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, then accept the UAC dialog (if applicable).

2. Run:

psexec.exe \\<localServerName> /s cmd.exe

This will provide you with a new command prompt, but it will instead run under the SYSTEM context, instead of your user context.

3. Run:

net use \\<remoteServerName>\<sharename> /user:<domain>\<userName> <password>

This authenticates the SYSTEM account to the share you want to export to.  

As an example, the line could look like: "net use \\server2\c$ /user:mydomain\Administrator MyAw3s0m3Pwd"

4. Return to the Hyper-V MMC, and try your export again.  It should work now.

5. When you're done, use:

net use \\<remoteServerName>\<sharename> /delete

This revokes the credentials from the SYSTEM account.  Alternatively, you could reboot.

6. Type exit, press enter.  You've dropped back to the original command prompt.  Type exit and press enter again, or simply close the window.

Cheers :)

• Изменено RulerOf 25 июня 2011 г. 0:07 highlighting
    • Предложено в качестве ответа RulerOf 25 июня 2011 г. 0:08
    25 июня 2011 г. 0:04
  • As the original "Answer" post states, this fails because the LocalSystem account doesn't have access to network resources.  However, you can supply LocalSystem with credentials to access that share using PsExec and the "net use" command:

First, grab the PsTools from here.  Stuff them in your System32 folder, or at least in the working directory that you'll perform the next steps from.

1. Open an elevated command prompt: Click start, type CMD, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, then accept the UAC dialog (if applicable).

2. Run:

psexec.exe \\<localServerName> /s cmd.exe

This will provide you with a new command prompt, but it will instead run under the SYSTEM context, instead of your user context.

3. Run:

net use \\<remoteServerName>\<sharename> /user:<domain>\<userName> <password>

This authenticates the SYSTEM account to the share you want to export to.  

As an example, the line could look like: "net use \\server2\c$ /user:mydomain\Administrator MyAw3s0m3Pwd"

4. Return to the Hyper-V MMC, and try your export again.  It should work now.

5. When you're done, use:

net use \\<remoteServerName>\<sharename> /delete

This revokes the credentials from the SYSTEM account.  Alternatively, you could reboot.

6. Type exit, press enter.  You've dropped back to the original command prompt.  Type exit and press enter again, or simply close the window.

Cheers :)

The above does not work. I followed the directions to a T and still get the same error.

• Изменено Ennis Sarac 16 апреля 2012 г. 0:40
    16 апреля 2012 г. 0:39
  • I partly agree with:

Export can only be used to a local path (onto a local mounted volume).

I have NAS and I created shared volume there and when I give public acess to this shared volume I can export :)

Jiri

28 июня 2012 г. 13:09
  • I have a solution to this dilemma which I describe here using PsHyperV:

http://rateliff.net/hvcore_export.html

On VMSVR1
    1. Change VM state to Shut Down OS
    2. Export the VM's CONFIGURATION ONLY to the network share (ie \\VMSVR2\Virtual)
    3. In the directory created by the export, create a new directory called "Virtual Hard Disks"
    4. Use a file copy utility to copy all VHDs for the VM into the Virtual Hard Disks directory
      On VMSVR2
    1. Import the VM using the full directory name created by the initial export (ie D:\Virtual\Exported VM) using same IDs
    2. Make any necessary or desired settings changes differing from source server
    3. Change VM State to Running
    4. Profit...

Afterward you can delete the VM and its VHDs from VMSVR1.  I have used this process to successfully move three other VMs and will be whipping up screen shots from a fourth export which I will be performing in just a few minutes.

• Изменено AlanRII 27 июня 2013 г. 4:42 Fix link to my site
    27 июня 2013 г. 4:24
  • Export to network share does work. You do NOT have to export locally first, but you do have to set the permissions correctly.

You have to explicitly grant Full Control NTFS and Share permissions for BOTH the Computer account of the host where the VM is being exported from AND the User account of the user who is performing the export from that machine.

It's usually the User account that gets missed here and the export will fail every time without it.

5 июля 2013 г. 22:56
  • Hi,

please note that you have to use parameter "-h" in psexec to be able to directly export VM to remote network share.

Use below command in step 2:

psexec.exe \\<localServerName> /s /h cmd.exe 

Hope it helps...

VV

29 октября 2013 г. 13:45