none
Convert Dynamic VHD to Fixed VHD - Logon Issue / Wrong password?

Soru

• Hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this.

I am struggling to convert a dynamic VHD to fixed. The VM is running WSS3 in a production environment and the problem is that the disk is running out of space and the former IT administrator setup a dinamic disk, so i cannot expand it unless i first convert it to a fixed vhd.

The conversion and the expansion of the VHD took a couple of hours, but went okay. When i started the VM all seemed to be just fine, however when trying to logon it gave me an error "wrong user or password" (What?). After many stressful attempts to logon to the domain i decided to try the local admin account and it worked fine.  However i could not logon with any domain accounts and none of the services seemed to be working properly due to authentication problems with the domain. Any thoughts?

Should i try to re-joing the machine to the domain? i am concern that if after re-joing the VM to the domain i will also have problems in case i need to go back to the original state as a backup plan, if nothing works i can always startup the original VM with the dynamic disk.

Thank you for your help in advance.

MCITP Enterprise Administrator CISCO CCNA

18 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 13:14

Yanıtlar

• Hi Paulo,

does your VM have snapshots/checkpoints? The problem you're describing could be caused by something like this. If your Machine Account password in Active Directory is not in sync with your VM, you indeed will have problems logging in. The only solution to this is to re-join the VM to the domain.

What about your original dynamic disk? Did you try booting that one and logging in to the domain?

Floris van der Ploeg

My blog: www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Vote as helpful" button, or use the "Mark as Answer" button

18 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 13:40
  • Hi!

You can shut down the VM and copy all the involved files (vhd, avhd) to a new directory. Then use the "Edit disk"  tool in Hyper-V manager and select the differencing disk (avhd) file. You will now be given the option to merge with a parent vhd.

You can also use the "Inspect disk" tool to see which vhd or avhd file the differencing disk considers its parent.

Merging the files will result in a new vhd file that you will be able to expand.
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 07:53

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi Paulo,

does your VM have snapshots/checkpoints? The problem you're describing could be caused by something like this. If your Machine Account password in Active Directory is not in sync with your VM, you indeed will have problems logging in. The only solution to this is to re-join the VM to the domain.

What about your original dynamic disk? Did you try booting that one and logging in to the domain?

Floris van der Ploeg

My blog: www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Vote as helpful" button, or use the "Mark as Answer" button

18 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 13:40
  • Hi Paulo,

I have checked more than one issue on your post :-)

1) "so i cannot expand it unless i first convert it to a fixed vhd." => if you're using Hyper-v, you can easily expand a dynamic disk (vhd file) if you don't have any snapshots, so I don't understand why have you converted it to a fixed disk

2) "wrong user or password" => if you haven't apply an older snapshot there is no reason to receive this message on the logon window. all is fine on the vm ? applications, parameters...?

3) yes, I think the best solution is to re-joing the vm on your domain but be carefull with your applications, it can be done some issues.

please, give us a feedback about your issue resolution

best regards

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

19 Haziran 2012 Salı 15:43
  • Yes. It seems i have more than one issue. I just tried to make a copy of the vhd and setup a new VM on Hyper-V and i had the same problem "wrong password".

Hyper-V is not showing any snapshots, however when i browse the location of the VM i can see that there is a snapshot there and in the VM settings i cannot edit the disk because there is a snapshot.

How can i merge this snapshot if it is not showing on Hyper-V? Does it mean if i make a copy of this VHD (as a backup) i will not have the latest stage of the VM?

I think the best to do now before i try anything might be export the VM on Hyper-V, so if something goes wrong i might be able to import the same VM config on other server with the hidden/broken snapshot?

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated! I will do some reading and try to find a way to fix this broken snapshot, any suggestions will be very much appreciated :)

Regards,

Paulo

MCITP Enterprise Administrator CISCO CCNA

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 00:29
  • Hi!

You can shut down the VM and copy all the involved files (vhd, avhd) to a new directory. Then use the "Edit disk"  tool in Hyper-V manager and select the differencing disk (avhd) file. You will now be given the option to merge with a parent vhd.

You can also use the "Inspect disk" tool to see which vhd or avhd file the differencing disk considers its parent.

Merging the files will result in a new vhd file that you will be able to expand.
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 07:53