none
New to WSUS Need Help

Soru

• Hi guys,

I am going to put this out there first. I really don't have any experience with doing server work, at all. I am a full time audio engineer at my church, and with that I am also responsible for IT stuff(typical). 

Any way, I have been doing a ton of research on WSUS the past couple of weeks. Here's where I am. I threw together a completely new server running Server 2003 SP2. I have installed WSUS 3.0 and have configured(to my knowledge) everything correctly according to numerous websites and youtube videos.

I have added the WSUS server to the domain, put it in an OU with our other servers. We now have four servers altogether(the WSUS is completely independent). I have put a couple of test machines in an OU with a GPO that is supposed to direct the computers to the WSUS server. When I am in the WSUS console, none of the computers from the domain show up in it. 

So, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there something that is fairly simple to miss that will mess up everything?

2. Is it okay to have WSUS installed on an independent, separate server that doesn't have the active directory on it?

If you know of any information that I hopefully haven't read yet that would be of great help!

Thanks guys

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 04:49

Yanıtlar

• Hi, I don't claim to be an expert but I think I can answer these questions.

1. Is there something that is fairly simple to miss that will mess up everything?

-- I am assuming this is in response to the previous statement "When I am in the WSUS console, none of the computers from the domain show up in it" 

---Be sure you have created computer groups on the WSUS that the name matches that of the OU's you have the GPO linked to, then everything should work and the pc's will show up in WSUS. 

2. Is it okay to have WSUS installed on an independent, separate server that doesn't have the active directory on it?

-- Yes this is fine, no need to on the same server as AD.

Hopefully this helps. 

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 12:37
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!

I think that I may have been a little impatient trying to get this to work. I realized a couple of things, first that I didn't actually approve of updates on WSUS so the workstations weren't showing that there were updates. I decided to also just re-add those computers to the GPO in that OU I set up, and wait for a bit of time, sure enough, they all popped up!

I'm a happy guy right now.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to respond to my questions they did help me out.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 18:00

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi, I don't claim to be an expert but I think I can answer these questions.

-- I am assuming this is in response to the previous statement "When I am in the WSUS console, none of the computers from the domain show up in it" 

---Be sure you have created computer groups on the WSUS that the name matches that of the OU's you have the GPO linked to, then everything should work and the pc's will show up in WSUS. 

-- Yes this is fine, no need to on the same server as AD.

Hopefully this helps. 

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 12:37
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!

I think that I may have been a little impatient trying to get this to work. I realized a couple of things, first that I didn't actually approve of updates on WSUS so the workstations weren't showing that there were updates. I decided to also just re-add those computers to the GPO in that OU I set up, and wait for a bit of time, sure enough, they all popped up!

I'm a happy guy right now.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to respond to my questions they did help me out.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 18:00