none
Application licensing

Soru

• Hi,

I have a application from "manhattan" that uses a license key for activation, this is keyed to the computers MAC address, Bios serial number and computer name, thus  when these change I have to contact the vendor for a new key.

My questions are:

1. when a vm is rebooted will the mac or bios serial number change ?

2. when a vm is moved to another host will the mac or bios serial number change ?

Thanks for any answers.

04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 10:59

Yanıtlar

Tüm Yanıtlar

• the mac is initially assigned dynamically when you create the nic, its supposed to stay the same upon reboot/when you move the vm. however, if you want to, you can also assign a static mac address for your nic in the vm.

the bios serial i am not really sure, it might change with service packs/updates. maybe you can test a vm with sp0 and sp1 with the help of http://blogs.technet.com/b/tonyso/archive/2009/08/20/hyper-v-how-to-detect-if-you-are-inside-a-vm.aspx

04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 11:48
  • Hi!

Every Hyper-V host has its own range of MAC addresses it assigns dynamically. You should configure your VM with a static MAC address to ensure that it won't change.

04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 14:04
  • while it is true that every host has its own range, the mac stays the same once applied to the vm. if you live migrate a vm within a cluster, the mac does not change. it also stays the same if you export a vm from a host and import it e.g. in a cluster. it would change if you delete the nic in the vm and add a new one.
    04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 15:31
  • I've experienced the opposite a number of times. It takes a while, but eventually the MAC will change. I haven't taken the time to figure out exactly what causes it, but it kind of acts like it's got its MAC with a lease time. This caused serious problems back when I started testing linux VM's. I also encountered licensed application failure due to dynamic MAC being changed all of a sudden. Setting a static MAC prevents this.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just saying....

04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 15:42
  • wasnt ment as a debate from my side as well, was just my experience. it's a good thing to get more then one view, Ill concur then to better use a static mac
    04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 16:09
  • and I would have lost if I had wanted to debate as well ;)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/05/14/hyper-v-and-dynamic-mac-address-regeneration.aspx

while I did not see a mac change when I exported and imported, the dynamic mac addresses do change indeed

04 Mayıs 2012 Cuma 16:18
  • I'm glad we got that sorted then :-), and thank your finding Ben's article that specifies the possible causes that enforces MAC changes. I seem to have missed that one.

Regarding the BIOS serial number, I can't seem to find any documentation that clarifies whether this is a static value or not. Apparently, the BIOS GUID and serial number are randomly generated when the VM is created, and are set in the VM's XML configuration file.

If I could speculate, I would only assume that this is a static value. A serial number is after all globally used to identify a unique piece of equipment. If this was allowed to change all of a sudden, well that would just be.... stupid.

So to give some potentially useful guidance to the OP: The MAC can be set to a static value and the BIOS serial number (being a serial number) should logically not be allowed to change, but for absolute confirmation we ought to wait for a MSFT response to this.

07 Mayıs 2012 Pazartesi 06:23
  • Jumping in late here.  As is discussed on my blog post there are a couple of situations where a dynamic mac address for an existing virtual machine will be changed by Hyper-V.

In regards to BIOS GUID / Chassis ID / etc...  These IDs never change (ever).  But as a result of this it is relatively easy to get virtual machines with duplicate BIOS GUIDs.  For example - if you export a virtual machine and then import it multiple times, each virtual machine that you create will (permanently) have the same BIOS GUID.

Specifying that you are "copying" during import does not affect this either - as then we only regenerate the virtual machine ID that is used by Hyper-V, but not the BIOS GUIDs.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Senior Lead Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

21 Mayıs 2012 Pazartesi 23:56
    Sahip
  • Ben,

Is there any method I can use to modify the duplicate bios guid setting I have ?

Any help along this line would be most appreciated.

I have a dozen or so hyperv guest with the same pattern as below.

Thanks LuvWm1

wmic:root\cli>/node:xxx01 path win32_bios get serialnumber
    SerialNumber
    1111-1111-1111-1111-1111-1111-11

wmic:root\cli>/node:xxx01 path win32_baseboard get serialnumber
    SerialNumber

wmic:root\cli>/node:xxx01 path win32_systemenclosure get serialnumber
    SerialNumber

wmic:root\cli>/node:xxx01 path win32_systemenclosure get smbiosassettag
    SMBIOSAssetTag