none
Hyper-v Storage design on Windows 2008 R2

Soru

• Good day,

I am deploying storage on new Blade server with windows 2008 R2 Operating System , I have a SAN storage . have assigned a LUN for this server. I ma planning to let this server host 4 VMs . from Storage prespective what is better :

1. let the LUN as a 1 Partition and create all VMs inside this Drive, or

2. create 4 partitions from this LUN and let every one partition host 1 VM ?

Regards

Elias Dayeh

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 09:11

Yanıtlar

• Hi Elias,

That's a good question, and you will have some different answers I mean :-)

There is no big differences between the both solutions, I prefer the solution 1.

In fact, you will not have performance differences, because this is the same main LUN.

So, I think that the solution 1 is easier to manage and to administrate.

the solution 2 is good to isolate the configuration folders

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Elias Dayeh 21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 05:33
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 10:01
  • Hello ,

As Rayland pointed you will get different answer.

If you have 1 storage , better the first options but for future plans , better the second options.

If you have 2 storage , second options become more important for High Availability.

Also do not discard backing up if they are production environments. One Storage means no High availability in storage side.

I had a disaster before and now turn in 2 storage.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Elias Dayeh 21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 05:34
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 10:19
  • Hi,

It depends. However, I prefer to using one partition. Per the above guys’ comments, you will not see some obvious performance difference with one partition and four partition. If you create four partitions, you may need to extend the partition when you want to extend the VHD file.

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 02:49
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi Elias,

That's a good question, and you will have some different answers I mean :-)

There is no big differences between the both solutions, I prefer the solution 1.

In fact, you will not have performance differences, because this is the same main LUN.

So, I think that the solution 1 is easier to manage and to administrate.

the solution 2 is good to isolate the configuration folders

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Elias Dayeh 21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 05:33
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 10:01
  • Hello ,

As Rayland pointed you will get different answer.

If you have 1 storage , better the first options but for future plans , better the second options.

If you have 2 storage , second options become more important for High Availability.

Also do not discard backing up if they are production environments. One Storage means no High availability in storage side.

I had a disaster before and now turn in 2 storage.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 10:19
  • Good day,

I am deploying storage on new Blade server with windows 2008 R2 Operating System , I have a SAN storage . have assigned a LUN for this server. I ma planning to let this server host 4 VMs . from Storage prespective what is better :

1. let the LUN as a 1 Partition and create all VMs inside this Drive, or

2. create 4 partitions from this LUN and let every one partition host 1 VM ?

Regards

Elias Dayeh

Layer a CSV on top of a single LUN and put your VMs there.

-nismo

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:18
  • Hi Nismo, may you explain more about how to "Layer a CSV on top of a single LUN and put your VMs there."

Elias

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:31
  • CSV - Cluster Shared Volume - is a feature of Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Clsutering.  It allows you to create a shared storage space that provides simultaneous access from all nodes in the Hyper-V cluster.  With 2008 it is only available for Hyper-V.  You say you are installing "a blade", not a cluster of blades.  So, until you get to a cluster, CSV is not an option.  If you decide to cluster, CSV is the absolute best way to go.

tim

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 15:22
  • Hi Tim, new Blade server with windows 2008 R2 Operating System , Where did you see windows 2008? Elias, Nismo says about your first option in a digferent type

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 15:41
  • Hi,

It depends. However, I prefer to using one partition. Per the above guys’ comments, you will not see some obvious performance difference with one partition and four partition. If you create four partitions, you may need to extend the partition when you want to extend the VHD file.

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 02:49
    Moderatör