none
Express installation files downloaded and I now need to revert back to old download method

Soru

• I have "download update files to this server only when updates are approved" checked. I decided to check "download express installation files". This was a big mistake. The server is running low on space. I unchecked the box, but I need to delete the express installation files and replace them with the regular update files. I looked into deleting the items in the WSUScontent and then running wsusutil /restore. Is this what I should do or is there a different way. I appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

James

James A+, Network+, MCP

18 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 12:56

Yanıtlar

• Hi,

After search I don’t find such method in our official website, but just like you mentioned, I also find that in other posts.

Okey, you may try that.

Note: cleanup WSUScontent folder and do WSUSUtil.exe RESET will re-download the content for all approved updates.

Detailed steps I found:

1) Correct any settings above or disapprove any unneeded updates.

2) Close any open WSUS consoles.

3) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and STOP the Update Services service.

4) In Windows Explorer browse to the WSUSContent folder (typically D:\WSUS\WSUSContent or C:\WSUS\WSUSContent)

5) Delete ALL the files and folders in the WSUSContent folder.

6) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and START the Update Services service.

7) Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder: C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools.

8) Run the command WSUSUtil.exe RESET

-This command tells WSUS to check each update in the database, and verify that the content is present in the WSUSContent folder. As it finds that the content is not present in the folder, it executes a BITS job to download the content from Microsoft. This process takes quite a bit of time and runs in the background.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx
    Managing WSUS from the Command Line
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720466(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 09:36

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

It’s not recommended to operate WSUS database or WSUS download files directly.

For you scenario, we recommend you use WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard to free up old computers, updates and update files from your server.

The Server Cleanup Wizard is integrated into the WSUS 3.0 UI, and can be used to help you manage your disk space. This wizard can do the following things:

1. Remove unused updates and update revisions
           The wizard will remove all older updates and update revisions that have not been approved.
    2. Delete computers not contacting the server
           The wizard will delete all client computers that have not contacted the server in thirty days or more.
    3. Delete unneeded update files
           The wizard will delete all update files that are not needed by updates or by downstream servers.
    4. Decline expired updates
           The wizard will decline all updates that have been expired by Microsoft.
    5. Decline superseded updates
           The wizard will decline all updates that meet all the following criteria:
      • The superseded update is not mandatory
      • The superseded update has been on the server for thirty days or more
      • The superseded update is not currently reported as needed by any client
      • The superseded update has not been explicitly deployed to a computer group for ninety days or more
      • The superseding update must be approved for install to a computer group

Using the Server Cleanup Wizard
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708578(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

19 Haziran 2012 Salı 07:23
  • I've already done that. What I need to do is get rid of the express installation files and redounload the "regular" files. I changed this just the other day and it put 24GB of data on the drive. I still don't have enough space. I have to revert back and delete these. Plus it has always been set to only download approved updates. Is there a reason why I cannot use the method above that I have seen in other posts?  Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

19 Haziran 2012 Salı 11:50
  • Hi,

After search I don’t find such method in our official website, but just like you mentioned, I also find that in other posts.

Okey, you may try that.

Note: cleanup WSUScontent folder and do WSUSUtil.exe RESET will re-download the content for all approved updates.

Detailed steps I found:

1) Correct any settings above or disapprove any unneeded updates.

2) Close any open WSUS consoles.

3) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and STOP the Update Services service.

4) In Windows Explorer browse to the WSUSContent folder (typically D:\WSUS\WSUSContent or C:\WSUS\WSUSContent)

5) Delete ALL the files and folders in the WSUSContent folder.

6) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and START the Update Services service.

7) Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder: C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools.

8) Run the command WSUSUtil.exe RESET

-This command tells WSUS to check each update in the database, and verify that the content is present in the WSUSContent folder. As it finds that the content is not present in the folder, it executes a BITS job to download the content from Microsoft. This process takes quite a bit of time and runs in the background.

What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx
    Managing WSUS from the Command Line
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720466(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 09:36