none
hyper-V Server Core 2008 R2 does not recognize EMC SAN drives

Soru

• Hi, I am looking at Hyper-V as an alternative to the other option, I have installed Hyper-V Server core on a server with 2 HBAs, configured the fiber switches made sure virtualization was enabled on the server, configured the EMC Clariion to connect to the host, created the storage goup, and the LUNS, they are connected to the host. Unfortunately the only drives I see through the management console are C: and D:. This is a standalone machine. What do I need to do to get this to recognize the EMC drives? Thanks in advance, Peter 
    21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 21:23

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hello,

Is Multipath IO feature installed?

Also you can install EMC Powerpath for multipath drivers.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren M FawziMVP 25 Haziran 2012 Pazartesi 09:05
    21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 21:27
  • Thanks, this is my first use of Server core, didn't know I caoul install that from another server manager, will try in the am.  Thanks again. Peter
    21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 21:35
  • yes, had you followed Murat's suggestion? any updates for your issue?
    22 Haziran 2012 Cuma 02:44
  • Which "management console" are you talking about when you say you can only see drives C: and D:?  Since Windows core does not have a console, I'm not sure what you are looking at.  Are you using RSAT from another system?  Or are you using Server Manager from another system? 

MPIO is a feature that would need to be installed in the core system.

You can run MPIO within a command window.

MPIO -h will show you the storage devices that the MPIO DSM is claiming.

You need to tell MPIO what it should be looking for.  Not sure if you mean EMC VNX when you say EMC Clariion, as that is what they named it to.  But, you should issue a series of MPIO  commands to let MPIO know what you are looking for from the array.  The VNX device ID is specific to the RAID type used in the RAID Group or Storage Pool.  It's recommended to add all these device strings to MPIO.  Note, there are exactly five (5) spaces after the DGC that must be included.

DGC     DISK

DGC     LUNZ

DGC     RAID 0

DGC     RAID 1

DGC     RAID 10

DGC     RAID 5

DGC     VRAID

The command to add the first id is:

c:\> mpclaim -n -i -d "DGC     DISK"

You should get a response of "Success, reboot required."  You don't have to reboot immediately.  You can add all the other device IDs and then reboot at the end.  But you have to let MPIO know what to look for.

After the system reboots, enter:

c:\> mpclaim -s -d

You should now see a disk identified if you have your zoning and masking set correctly.

tim

22 Haziran 2012 Cuma 17:51
  • Thanks, I followed those steps and I can see the discs when I open disc manager on the management server, now I just have to get past the "RPC server is unavailable" error when I try to initialize them.  Peter
    22 Haziran 2012 Cuma 18:00
  • yeah, please try to do M Fawzi’s suggestions.
    27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 01:31
  • Any upadtes?
    28 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 07:19
  • Hello,

I've found that if I properly install the EMC drivers straight from EMC, similar to any other Windows Server, this works fine.  This would include PowerPath and any other drivers.  This is used by your SAN to gain visability into the systems communicating with it, as well as for providing connectivity from your server to the SAN.

Nathan Lasnoski

http://blog.concurrency.com/author/nlasnoski/

03 Temmuz 2012 Salı 18:52