none
Can you online expand a raid array that is a attached to a HyperV guest?

Soru

• I was going to use an attached physical raid array for the secondary guest drive on a HyperV guest to gain performance over formatting the array and storing a vhd there.

If i later want to make the size of that raid array larger, IE: add another drive and do an online expansion of the array, will this work with HyperV.. will i then do as i would with a physical 2008 box and goto disk management and expand the drive there?

I dont seem to see much info on this particular part..

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, Everything: http://tech-stew.com

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 15:56

Yanıtlar

• Hello techfun89,

This depends on your raid level.

If you have 2 disk and RAID 1 configured, adding 1 disk will not extend your size. It should 2 disk. Then you can.

If you have 3 disk with RAID 5 , adding 1 disk or more can be done.

You can do it online with vendor tools (In HP Servers , I had done many times.)

Yes , extend drive in Disk management works.

CAUTION: As always doing these things can cause critical issues or damage. You should backup first, then do the operation.

Also Disk Firmware and disk type , disk size should be the same for eliminating future problems.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 19:26
  • Hi,

As Murat mentioned, it depends on your RAID array type.

By the way, did you configure the RAID array on Hyper-V host machine and then attach it to the virtual machine as pass-through disk? General speaking, you can extend the LUN on the SAN when you use it in  virtual machine as pass-through disk.

How to Increase pass-through disk?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/5b697aae-7b48-48a5-92e8-ee214095ebc2/

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 01:46
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hello techfun89,

This depends on your raid level.

If you have 2 disk and RAID 1 configured, adding 1 disk will not extend your size. It should 2 disk. Then you can.

If you have 3 disk with RAID 5 , adding 1 disk or more can be done.

You can do it online with vendor tools (In HP Servers , I had done many times.)

Yes , extend drive in Disk management works.

CAUTION: As always doing these things can cause critical issues or damage. You should backup first, then do the operation.

Also Disk Firmware and disk type , disk size should be the same for eliminating future problems.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 19:26
  • Hi,

As Murat mentioned, it depends on your RAID array type.

By the way, did you configure the RAID array on Hyper-V host machine and then attach it to the virtual machine as pass-through disk? General speaking, you can extend the LUN on the SAN when you use it in  virtual machine as pass-through disk.

How to Increase pass-through disk?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/5b697aae-7b48-48a5-92e8-ee214095ebc2/

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 01:46
    Moderatör