none
upgrading hyper-v 2008 r2 to 2012?

Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Yes, you can upgrade from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 to Hyper-V Server 2012. Please ensure that all the virtual machine are powered off and there is no snapshot with them.

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen cinek12 20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:36
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:16
  • Hi,

Yes, just insert the Hyper-V Server 2012 installation disk and you will be able to perform a upgrade.

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen cinek12 20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:37
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:34

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Yes, you can upgrade from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 to Hyper-V Server 2012. Please ensure that all the virtual machine are powered off and there is no snapshot with them.

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen cinek12 20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:36
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:16
  • thanks, how can I do that? should I just insert the hyper-v server 2012 dvd and select install to install over it or will there be an upgrade option?
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:19
  • Hi,

Yes, just insert the Hyper-V Server 2012 installation disk and you will be able to perform a upgrade.

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen cinek12 20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:37
    20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 11:34
  • Be warned.

Server 2012 is not released yet.  At this time upgrade is not officially supported!

If you have problems as a result of the upgrade and try to get support you will be reminded of this.

Personally, I just install the OS clean and make sure that all my VMs are exported to a drive that is not the OS drive then import the VMs after installing the new OS.

This process has carried me through betas, builds, pre-releases, etc.  I have preserved VMs for a long time.  It is safe and more reliable than an upgrade.  (I have never had a 100% clean OS upgrade - I always rebuild - no matter the situation).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

20 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 15:54
  • If you are running Hyper-V 2008 R2 barebones hypervisor, it may give you some trouble.  When I attemped and upgrade it told me that Hyper-V 2012 cannot upgrade Hyper-V server core.  This means I had to do a full install.  The good news is Hyper-V 2012, like other newer versions of Windows, saves the old file structure in a windows.old file.  Then you just have to do a bunch of manual file moving.  P.I.T.A. but possible.

Be careful running RC in production, it is going to be buggy by definition.  Test it all you want, but wait till RTM before putting anything important on it.

Good luck.

Steve Melcher CCNA, SSCP, MCTS 311 W. Monroe, Suite 1300 Chicago, IL 60606 Tel-312.775.3466

03 Temmuz 2012 Salı 18:39
  • I tend to agree with Brian.  If this is a toy box, who cares, but if it is or ever will be in production don't play with fire.  A full install is always better than keeping debris in your VM host.  Dangerous.

Steve Melcher CCNA, SSCP, MCTS 311 W. Monroe, Suite 1300 Chicago, IL 60606 Tel-312.775.3466

03 Temmuz 2012 Salı 18:40
  • Are the snapshots not compatible across versions, or is that just a suggestion to ensure a smooth transition? I'd like to be able to keep my snapshots.
    04 Eylül 2012 Salı 21:17
  • Snapshots that were taken of VMs while the VMs were powered on have not (historically) been supported through upgrades.

The requirements was to deleted the saved memory state, not the entire snapshot.

There was a lot of work put into the import experience in 2012 and everything that I have seen so far is that folks have had a decent experience.

The most common problem that folks have had is when they had created VMs using differencing disks off a single base VHD (the most common issues with VMs used for training).  They usually forget to migrate the base VHD and break their differencing disk chain.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

04 Eylül 2012 Salı 21:34
  • I would like to just point out that I attempted to upgrade a 2008 Hyper-v server and I could not upgrade to 2012.  The installation informed me that hyper-v core could not be upgraded.
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren DanaVanHooser 05 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 18:03
    05 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 02:48
  • I would like to just point out that I attempted to upgrade a 2008 Hyper-v server and I could not upgrade to 2012.  The installation informed me that hyper-v core could not be upgraded.

Same here, while setup offers an "Upgrade" installation option, it simply doesn't work:

"Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012. You can choose to install a new copy of Hyper-V Server 2012 instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs."

Tested on a host with one virtual machine that has no snapshots.

I have previously upgraded our Hyper-V Server 2008 hosts to 2008 R2 without problems.

05 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 15:37
  • Hi,

We run a Server 2000 in our Hyper-V 2008R2. Will that be suppoted in Hyper-V 2012?
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren Torbjörn V 23 Kasım 2013 Cumartesi 15:42
    05 Eylül 2012 Çarşamba 17:04
  • Experienced the same problem as above reported.

"Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012. You can choose to install a new copy of Hyper-V Server 2012 instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs."

Any know how to work around this problem?

Thanks

07 Ekim 2012 Pazar 03:28
  • "Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012. You can choose to install a new copy of Hyper-V Server 2012 instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs."

Yes - export your VM's and re-install your host OS!  It really doesn't add that much time.

And here's a tip for quicker exports - if you have a VM that has several really large VHD's you can temporarily remove the VHD's from the guest VM config and then export.  I had an SBS 2011 VM with the Guest OS, Exchange, Swap and User data all on separate VHD's.

I shut down the VM normally and then detached the large user data VHD's.  The export/import of the VM went much faster.  Once the Host OS was re-installed and the VM was re-imported, I just re-attched the user data VHD's before restarting the VM and the server in the VM was none the wiser.  I went through the trouble of keeping the VHDs in same location in the virtual SCSI controller in the guest VM configuration settings, but I don't know if that's strictly required or not.  It worked like a champ and didn't add that much time to the overall process of rebuilding the HyperV host OS.  If I ever get comfortable enough to switch to Server 2012 HyperV, I'll do the exact same process.  For something as simple as a hypervisor OS install, upgrading it doesn't make much sense to me!  As others have pointed out you are MUCH better off doing a clean install.  Especially if it won't upgrade it for you :o)

• Düzenleyen E Eskam 08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 19:12
    08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 19:09
  • The key here is that Server Core to Hyper-V Server is not an upgrade, it is a SKU change.  (Server to Hyper-V Server)

Server Core 2008 R2 to Server Core 2012 would be an upgrade.

So, stay within your SKU path and you actually have an upgrade not a SKU change (which is not supported).

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 19:19
  • "Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012. You can choose to install a new copy of Hyper-V Server 2012 instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs."

Yes - export your VM's and re-install your host OS!  It really doesn't add that much time.

Maybe you have a small environment, but some of us have dozens of Hyper-V Server hosts with hundreds of VM's to upgrade! I'm certainly not looking forward to manually exporting/importing all these VM's on all hosts.

Gerard

08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 19:24
  • The key here is that Server Core to Hyper-V Server is not an upgrade, it is a SKU change.  (Server to Hyper-V Server)

So, stay within your SKU path and you actually have an upgrade not a SKU change (which is not supported).

Clearly you have never tried to upgrade Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 to Hyper-V Server 2012, because you would have gotten the same error message that tonsomu and I reported: "Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012". This is not a SKU change. Hyper-V Server is actually a variant of Server Core, also called HYPERCORE, with the main difference that it has only the Hyper-V role, which is enabled by default.

Gerard

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren Mark D Gould 06 Kasım 2013 Çarşamba 15:24
    08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 19:49
  • I realize the underlying lockdown to Hyper-V and its supporting roles and features.

And you are right, I have not had the luxury to consider all of the upgrade combinations.  I generally don't as I have never had a flawless upgrade experience.

I have a couple questions:

Is your Hyper-V 2008 R2 at SP1 level?

Are you booting to the installer (CD or USB) for 2012? or inserting the 2012 CD in an already running machine and running setup?

I ask this second question as history has shown a behavior difference.  And the first wondering if there is a some allowed upgrade from SP1 but possibly not R2 or 2008 (pre-R2).

Another idea, do you have any VMs that have saved state snapshots?  This is more of a curiosity, as traditionally moving forward VMs with saved states has not been supported and I am wondering if there is some built-in block.

Either way, there definitely needs to be more and better error messages around this.  There is definitely an opportunity for greater detail to be added to the installer logic to give folks more detailed feedback in the situation of an upgrade.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 20:51

Clearly you have never tried to upgrade Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 to Hyper-V Server 2012, because you would have gotten the same error message that tonsomu and I reported: "Hyper-V Server (Server Core) cannot be upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012". This is not a SKU change. Hyper-V Server is actually a variant of Server Core, also called HYPERCORE, with the main difference that it has only the Hyper-V role, which is enabled by default.

Gerard

I've not heard of HYPERCORE before.  Windows Server Core and Hyper-V Server are very different products. Hyper-V Server is definitely not Windows Server Core.
    08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 20:58
  • I have a couple questions:

Is your Hyper-V 2008 R2 at SP1 level?

Are you booting to the installer (CD or USB) for 2012? or inserting the 2012 CD in an already running machine and running setup?

I ask this second question as history has shown a behavior difference.  And the first wondering if there is a some allowed upgrade from SP1 but possibly not R2 or 2008 (pre-R2).

Another idea, do you have any VMs that have saved state snapshots?  This is more of a curiosity, as traditionally moving forward VMs with saved states has not been supported and I am wondering if there is some built-in block.

Yes, the Hyper-V Servers are at 2008 R2 SP1.

It is not possible to do an upgrade by booting from DVD/WDS, so I'm running the SETUP.EXE from a network share on the command line, as I did when upgrading from 2008 to 2008 R2.

As mentioned in my original message, I tested this on a host with one virtual machine that has no snapshots.

Gerard

08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 21:21

Gerard

I've not heard of HYPERCORE before.  Windows Server Core and Hyper-V Server are very different products. Hyper-V Server is definitely not Windows Server Core.

Hyper-V Server is a stripped-down version of Windows Server Core. The name of the image in INSTALL.WIM is "Windows Server 2008 R2 SERVERHYPERCORE" (vs "SERVERSTANDARDCORE" etc. for the Windows Server Core images). In 2012 this is "Hyper-V Server 2012 SERVERHYPERCORE").

Gerard

08 Ekim 2012 Pazartesi 21:42
  • I've had some success upgrading a 2008 R2 server running Hyper-V to 2012 but there seems to be some kind of issue with the management tools, specifically with Powershell.  In order to get it to work properly after the 2012 upgrade is complete you need to remove the Hyper-V role, reboot, re-add the Hyper-V role.  The configuration for your VMs will be preserved but not the networking setup so make sure you document it and what VMs are connected to what virtual switches before you do it.
    09 Ekim 2012 Salı 15:27
  • My 2 cents...upgraded two 2008 R2 servers with Hyper-V role.  One upgraded perfectly without issue.  The other upgraded the OS, but didn't even have the Hyper-V role installed after upgrade, although the install knew it existed because it complained I hadn't shutdown all my VMs.  Tried to install by adding role after upgrade completed, failed again.  Tried a third time, and it worked, no changes to make it work.

Oh well...

12 Ekim 2012 Cuma 13:19
  • The only reason I came upon this thread was by performing a Google search after attempting to upgrade my Hyper-V 2008 R2 Server to Hyper-V 2012 Server and receiving the error message as quoted a few posts up. I think a few posters here might be confusing Windows 2008 with Hyper-V role, with Hyper-V Server 2008. Regardless, whether I boot from media, where upon I cannot perform an upgrade but am prompted to boot normally and then invoke setup, or if I boot Hyper-V Server 2008 and then invoke setup, my only option is to perform a new installation.

Clearly, this is a product issue even if the product path, as described, is correct. Assuming that there are no secret tricks to perform an upgrade, the following link provides steps to migrate and upgrade a server from Hyper-V Server 2008 to 2012:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/09/13/migrating-to-microsoft-hyper-v-server-2012-from-2008-r2-and-vmware-winserv-hyperv-itpro-vmware.aspx

Lots of steps, but wish me luck. Going to try it now...

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren Matty-CT 23 Ekim 2012 Salı 19:54
    23 Ekim 2012 Salı 19:54

Maybe you have a small environment, but some of us have dozens of Hyper-V Server hosts with hundreds of VM's to upgrade! I'm certainly not looking forward to manually exporting/importing all these VM's on all hosts.

It appears that exporting your virtual machines is not necessary at all, which can save lot of time. Hyper-V Manager 2012 has a new "Register" option on the "Import Virtual Machine..." command. Specify the folder containing the virtual machine to import and it will find the files. It may prompt you for additional information about where a particular VHD is or to select a network connection. Of course Hyper-V Server 2012 doesn't come with Hyper-V Manager, but you can do this remotely from another Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 machine with Remote Server Administration Tools installed. If you are in to PowerShell, you could also use the Import-VM cmdlet with the new -Register parameter.

@Vincent Hu: can you please unmark your "answer"..

Gerard

17 Ocak 2013 Perşembe 19:31
  • Please, post your experiences with upgrades to the TechNet Wiki article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16289.hyper-v-upgrade-hyper-v-2008-r2-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

I have captured my experience there.

08 Mart 2013 Cuma 15:19
  • Hi,

It's not true. I've tried it. You have to make a clean install an can import the vms, if they are on another Partition oder networkshare.
    28 Haziran 2013 Cuma 09:59
  • I have the following message..

Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V cannot be upgraded to Windows
    Server 2012 Datacenter

What is the reason that it cannot be upgraded ?

18 Aralık 2013 Çarşamba 09:57