none
WSUS 3.0 Import xml error

Soru

• I have two WSUS Servers.  One has internet access and one does not and is on an standalone network.  I'm using the the WSUS server that is connected to the internet to download and export the updates to the WSUS Server on the standalone network

At the WSUS standalone server - After running  - wsusmigrationimport.exe wsusxxx.xml all none -  I get several lines like the following

Update 'fc8854be-f8bb-40a2-96fc-f3f574a0420a' with revision 100 does not exist. Server is out-of-sync with the parent.

What does this mean and is it a problem?

08 Mart 2012 Perşembe 13:29

Yanıtlar

• Hi,

It seems that you are Using the WSUSmigrationexport.exe to export the computer groups and also all the update approvals for the computer groups. Did this action(I mean all the approval and computer groups)actually applied in your standalone WSUS?

"Update 'fc8854be-f8bb-40a2-96fc-f3f574a0420a' with revision 100 does not exist. Server is out-of-sync with the parent." probably indicates that certain update hasn't been downloaded after approval. 

My suggestion is to make sure that the source WSUS ( WSUS server which is connected to the internet) has downloaded all the update files which have been approved before procedding with any of these steps. Make sure that the option "Update Needing Files" is zero. Hope it works.

Regards,
    Clarence
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

14 Mart 2012 Çarşamba 07:38
    Moderatör
  • I'm not sure the Cleanup Wizard should be used on the parent server. I only take in the WSUS updates to the seperate standalone domains every 3 months. The Cleanup Wizard says it uses a 30 day cycle.

If you only run the cleanup wizard on the standalone server,those updates which are out-of-date on the parent server will export the approval metadata to your standalone server. It is probably the root cause of why you are prompt with some update doesn't exist when exporting. Since you want to make the approval and computer group info exporting to the standalone, you need to make sure the configuration in both parent and standalone are exactly the same. If you can't make sure the consistency between them,you should make the approval manually on each standalone server and never use the WSUSmigrationexport.exe utility.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

16 Mart 2012 Cuma 02:01
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

• After running  - wsusmigrationimport.exe wsusxxx.xml all none -  

This is not the correct command to use for this purpose. Please refer to the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates for the correct procedures.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

08 Mart 2012 Perşembe 15:00
    Moderatör
  • The command for the xml file is correct. I have used the same command for the last 3 years but have not seen the errors before. I use the command refered to in the guide to import the cab file first and then import the xml file. On my server connected to the internet I select the patches I need and approve them for install.
    08 Mart 2012 Perşembe 15:40
  • The command for the xml file is correct.

Well, that may be, but the export/import process for using a disconnected WSUS server does not produce an *XML* file, it produces a *CAB* file, and as already noted, that command is the WRONG command to use for this purpose.

Quoting from the cited article in the WSUS Deployment Guide: Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates --

To export metadata

1. Verify that the user account that is used to perform this procedure is a member of the local Administrators group on the WSUS export server.

2. Open a Command Prompt window on the WSUS export server and open the folder that contains WSUSutil.exe. This is usually the \Program Files\Update Services\Tools folder.

3. Type the following command:

wsusutil.exe export packagename.cab logfile.log

where:

• Packagename.cab is a unique file name to contain the metadata.

• logfile.log is a unique file name to contain the export log.

WSUSutil.exe will create the .cab and .log files as it exports metadata from the WSUS database.

4. Use any file copy utility to transfer the export files to the removable media.

The WSUSMigrationImport utility is used to *MIGRATE* an entire self-contained server from one machine to another, with the intent of decomissioning or abandoning the original server, replacing it with the new server. It is NOT designed for exporting update metadata ONLY to populate a disconnected server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

09 Mart 2012 Cuma 03:19
    Moderatör
  • We are miscommunicating here. I have already done the import of the cab file. That was good. In my reply to your first post I said. "I use the command refered to in the guide to import the cab file first and then import the xml file. On my server connected to the internet I select the patches I need and approve them for install." The command I am using for importing the xml file is CORRECT. The following is the command to export the xml from the server connected to the internet

From C:\Program Files\Update Services 3.0 API Samples and Tools\WsusMigrate\WsusMigrationExport

run the following

wsusmigrationexport WSUSYYYYMM.xml
    12 Mart 2012 Pazartesi 11:54
  • Hi,

It seems that you are Using the WSUSmigrationexport.exe to export the computer groups and also all the update approvals for the computer groups. Did this action(I mean all the approval and computer groups)actually applied in your standalone WSUS?

"Update 'fc8854be-f8bb-40a2-96fc-f3f574a0420a' with revision 100 does not exist. Server is out-of-sync with the parent." probably indicates that certain update hasn't been downloaded after approval. 

My suggestion is to make sure that the source WSUS ( WSUS server which is connected to the internet) has downloaded all the update files which have been approved before procedding with any of these steps. Make sure that the option "Update Needing Files" is zero. Hope it works.

Regards,
    Clarence
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

14 Mart 2012 Çarşamba 07:38
    Moderatör
  • Yes, I export the computer groups an d the update approvals for the computer groups and apply them to the standalone WSUS. We have over 40 seperate standalone domains that use the WSUS updates and this makes it so the approvals do not need to be done on each standalone domain.

The source WSUS server shows the option Down Load Status "Updates needing files" as zero. That is why I don't understand the error messages -  "Update 'fc8854be-f8bb-40a2-96fc-f3f574a0420a' with revision 100 does not exist. Server is out-of-sync with the parent."

14 Mart 2012 Çarşamba 11:47
  • Hi,

Is this issue occured on all over your 40 seperate standalone domains after export? Have you tried to decline all the out-of-date update and run the cleanup wizard among all the standalone and parent server?

If not, try it to see whether the issue has been resolved.

15 Mart 2012 Perşembe 02:00
    Moderatör
  • I'm not sure the Cleanup Wizard should be used on the parent server. I only take in the WSUS updates to the seperate standalone domains every 3 months. The Cleanup Wizard says it uses a 30 day cycle.
    15 Mart 2012 Perşembe 15:24

If you only run the cleanup wizard on the standalone server,those updates which are out-of-date on the parent server will export the approval metadata to your standalone server. It is probably the root cause of why you are prompt with some update doesn't exist when exporting. Since you want to make the approval and computer group info exporting to the standalone, you need to make sure the configuration in both parent and standalone are exactly the same. If you can't make sure the consistency between them,you should make the approval manually on each standalone server and never use the WSUSmigrationexport.exe utility.

16 Mart 2012 Cuma 02:01
    Moderatör