none
Legacy Adapter Bandwidth with Ubuntu is 3MB/s

Soru

• Is there any way to increase the bandwidth of a nic in hyper-v?  I'm running hyper-v on a 2008 R2 machine that has 1Gbps nics.  I have Ubuntu desktop 32bit 10.04 installed on one of the vms - legacy adapter. I'm only getting a download speed of 3MB/s. 
    • Taşıyan BrianEhMVP 13 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi 20:52 (From:Hyper-V)
    13 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi 20:04

Yanıtlar

• I can only agree with Mike - the legacy adapter *is* slow.

But I'd not recommend using hv_netvsc with any stock 2.6.32 kernel, they were not stable for production. Actually Ubuntu has some backports of the current (11.10) oneiric kernel for lucid which is based on Kernel 3.0 (linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-oneiric).

Starting 2.6.39 the modules seem to have matured enough to not see any weird crashes under normal circumstances ;-)

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 12:22

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Download from where?  (since there can be a large number of factors when you use 'download')

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Backup, test your backup, try new things. Attempting change is of your own free will.

13 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi 20:52
  • As Brian says, we need a lot more information to troubleshoot this.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

13 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi 22:56
  • I noticed the speed between this ubuntu hyper-v vm and other machines on my network was very slow.  I went to speedtest.net and the download speed is always under 5MB/s.  I also have the speedtest.net mini version installed internally.  The download speed on the internal mini test is also the same.  This Ubuntu machine is my FOG imaging server.  The FOG UI displays a bandwidth graph.  The network connection is always about 3MB/s.  We have a 100Mbps connection externally through Time Warner.  When I go to speedtest.net with all my other machines the download speed is about 100Mbps.  Internally all my stand alone servers are operating at 1Gbps.  64bit VMs on the Hyper-v boxes not using the legacy adapter have a connection speed between each other at 10Gbps on the virtual network.  This Ubuntu machine is sitting at 3MB/s.  What gives?

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 02:16
  • So, a few notes:

1. Networking in Hyper-V will always go as fast as possible - even if the link speed is reporting 100 MB / 1 GB, if the underlying connection is faster, it will go faster. This is why your 64-bit VM's running Windows are reporting a 10 Gb/E link speed.

2. The emulated NIC is much, much slower than the synthetic NIC. This is because the process that handles the emulated NIC is actually a user-mode process in the parent partition, which means that every time data gets transferred, a context switch must be executed. This context switch is extremely expensive for the VM to process, and will slow down Tx and Rx.

3. Ubuntu 10.04 does include our synthetic drivers - you can load hv_netvsc and hv_vmbus to gain access to the synthetic NIC. Alternatively, move to a newer version of Ubuntu, which will have newer versions of our drivers, or compile your own kernel from the 3.3-rc branch if you want to be on the bleeding edge

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 06:00
  • I can only agree with Mike - the legacy adapter *is* slow.

But I'd not recommend using hv_netvsc with any stock 2.6.32 kernel, they were not stable for production. Actually Ubuntu has some backports of the current (11.10) oneiric kernel for lucid which is based on Kernel 3.0 (linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-oneiric).

Starting 2.6.39 the modules seem to have matured enough to not see any weird crashes under normal circumstances ;-)

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 12:22
  • Looks like the suggestion is to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10.  I'm quite the linux newbie.  Koffi2k could you post some urls with steps to get it working with Hyper-v? If there isn't a tutorial with good steps I get lost.  It would be great to get the network card for the vm to be at least 100Mbps. 

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 13:14
  • $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-oneiric

:)

14 Şubat 2012 Salı 22:11
  • Thanks.  I'll be upgrading to 11.10 today and trying this backport. 
    15 Şubat 2012 Çarşamba 13:31
  • Actually, you can try the backport without updating to 11.10.

15 Şubat 2012 Çarşamba 14:54
  • I tried this on 10.10. Error: Couldn't find package linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-oneiric
    15 Şubat 2012 Çarşamba 14:59
  • The backport kernels are only available for Long Term Support (LTS) releases starting 10.04 LTS. 10.10 is not a LTS release and its support will end in April 2012 (18 Months).

The next LTS release is planned to be 12.04 - my experience with Ubuntu told me to better stay on LTS releases in production since I'm not really positive about doing a distro-upgrade every 18 Months (which is what non-LTS releases are being supported). Nonetheless upgrade with Ubuntu and Debian normally work, it's not something you want to do that often. :-)

16 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 16:00
  • koffi2k, This is good info.  I couldn't get the vm to upgrade to 11.10 or the backport to install on 10.10.  I'm in the process of setting this Ubuntu/FOG environment up on a physical box.  Sorta wishing I set my hosts up with ESXi instead of Hyper-V.  If I get some time I'll try Ubuntu 10.04 as a hyper-v vm. 
    16 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 16:16
  • I put the physical box on hold and setup a 10.04 LTS vm.  I ran sudo apt-get install linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-oneiric and then got rid of the legacy network adapter.  My bandwidth has gone from 3Mbps to 95Mbps.  Not fast by any means, but in the linux/hyper-v world it's great!
    16 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 21:35
  • Oneiric's kernel is based on 3.0 which is quite stable to my belief/experience but again a lot of changes have gone into 3.2, some like the hot-pluging functionality for SCSI drives and Jumbo frames support only came in with 3.3 (yet in rc)
    16 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 22:00