none
Too much disk space used:WSUS 3.0 SP1. Can I delete files/folders?

Soru

• I just started this job and the person who set up WSUS 3.0 sp1 configured it to dlwoload a lot of unessesary updates. The problem is that the partition has filled up and I want to delete some of these files. I ran the cleanup wizard with everything selected but it didn't delete enough since it waits 30 days.

In the WSUSContent folder there are 256 sub folders with 2 digit names like FD, 83, etc...and these contain cab and exe files. Many of them have old modification dates and if I were to manually delete them it would free up enough space on the server. Is this possible or will doing this cause other issues?

Eventually we will have to add an additional, larger hard drive on this server. When we do that what isthe procedure for moving WSUS to that drive?

TIA,

Jonathan

26 Mayıs 2010 Çarşamba 20:36

Yanıtlar

• It's certainly possible to manually delete files from the ~\WSUSContent folder, and most likely doing so will cause issues, unless you plan to manually match unneeded updates with each individual file in the filesystem.

As for the use of the Server Cleanup Wizard, you're more likely being impacted by superseded updates that still have approvals configured, than you are the 30 day deadline. (The 30 day window will leave about 6-10GB of content, all other things being set correctly.)

I would suggest the following:

1. Add the Supersedence flag column to your All Updates view.

2. Set the filter criteria to Approval="Approved" and Status="Any".

3. Sort by the supersedence flag and for all updates with Installed/NotApplicabled=100% that are superseded .... select them and DECLINE them.

4. Rerun the Server Cleanup Wizard with only the "Delete files..." option selected.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 15:01
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

• It's certainly possible to manually delete files from the ~\WSUSContent folder, and most likely doing so will cause issues, unless you plan to manually match unneeded updates with each individual file in the filesystem.

As for the use of the Server Cleanup Wizard, you're more likely being impacted by superseded updates that still have approvals configured, than you are the 30 day deadline. (The 30 day window will leave about 6-10GB of content, all other things being set correctly.)

I would suggest the following:

1. Add the Supersedence flag column to your All Updates view.

2. Set the filter criteria to Approval="Approved" and Status="Any".

3. Sort by the supersedence flag and for all updates with Installed/NotApplicabled=100% that are superseded .... select them and DECLINE them.

4. Rerun the Server Cleanup Wizard with only the "Delete files..." option selected.

Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 15:01
    Moderatör
  • Thanks for that advice. It worked.

I'll ask my second question in a seperate thread.

01 Haziran 2010 Salı 20:52
  • Very useful and hard to track down answer. I've finally managed to stop a customers SBS 2K8 box committing ritual suicide. WSUS was over 40GB, the customer had one client PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that, the SBS/WSUS team need to do something about that voracious apetite, SBS needs to be able to be left on it's own for extended periods of time without babysitting IMHO.

16 Temmuz 2010 Cuma 19:02
  • that was very usefull, thank you Lawrence.
    28 Temmuz 2010 Çarşamba 12:17
  • I declined all updates labeled "This update superseded other updates" Can I also delete updates labeled (different icon) "This update is superseded by another update and supersedes others"?

Thanks Max
    14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 15:17
  • Okay now I’m confused.  Should I have declined the updates labeled “This update is superseded by another update and supersedes others or "This update superseded other updates" or both?  What is the difference?  Please help!

Thanks Max

• Düzenleyen Maxamus1975 14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 15:34
    14 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 15:32
  • Okay now I’m confused.  Should I have declined the updates labeled “This update is superseded by another update and supersedes others or "This update superseded other updates" or both?  What is the difference?  Please help!

Thanks Max

Well, strictly speaking, you should only decline updates with the two icons identified as "...is superseded by another update...". These would be the icons with the blue box at the bottom of the tree and in the middle of the tree.

***AND***

Only if those updates are reported as 100% Installed/NotApplicable.

If a superseded update is not reported as 100% Installed/NotApplicable, you should first investigate why it is still being reported as needed by any system, resolve that issue, and then decline it when it is confirmed to not be required for any activity.

Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)

27 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba 23:05
    Moderatör