none
WSUS Offline Setup

Soru

• I am after some help from you kind folks about an offline Wsus setup. 

I have a Non Internet connected network which I need to set WSUS up on (Win 2008 R2 x64 both platforms). 

On my Connected network I have created a Hype-V (export server) installed SQLExpress and Wsus and configured the normal suspects (Products, Classifications, Update Files, Language and Auto Approve). 

I then Sync'd it and let it bring down all the required update's (about 15GB). I then used wsutil to export the metadata (.cab and .log). 

Using backupexec I backed up the Wsus folder on the C:\WSUS of the export server along with the metadata. 

Then on my disconnected network I installed sqlexpress and Wsus on a Hyper-V (Import Server) and used exactly the same setting as the export server. Once this was done I stopped the Wsus service and copied the restored WSUS folder to C:\. Just to make sure I re applied WSUS Admin over the NTFS. Then when everything had copied I imported the Metadata. 

I the re started the service and looked at the updates which all seemed to be there. Just to get the ball rolling I approved them all to update (with out setting up a test group). 

Most to the XP workstations and servers picked up a few updates, then nothing. 

I have a GPO that kicks off the server and workstation check/install every night @ 23:00Hrs but while scanning through the updates I get quite a lot of the "still update is waiting to download" messages. 

I've check the size and permissions of the Wsus and Wsus Content folders on bot the import and export servers and they are identical. 

Can anyone help? Has anyone setup and offline wsus box that works? 

Cheers, 

21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe 05:49

Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Before you export the metadata and wsuscontent folder,you need to make sure the export server has stopped downloading all the approved updates,or it will lead to the inconsistent data.

Pls run 'wsusutil reset' to go through the content and redownload any missing or corrupt downloads,and walk thru Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates guide ,and then export and import again to see whether the issue is resovled.

Regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

26 Haziran 2012 Salı 06:28
  • Using backupexec I backed up the Wsus folder on the C:\WSUS of the export server along with the metadata. 
    And there is your critical error. Please reinstall your disconnected server from scratch and use the procedures as documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide in the section titled Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

30 Haziran 2012 Cumartesi 23:44

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Before you export the metadata and wsuscontent folder,you need to make sure the export server has stopped downloading all the approved updates,or it will lead to the inconsistent data.

Pls run 'wsusutil reset' to go through the content and redownload any missing or corrupt downloads,and walk thru Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates guide ,and then export and import again to see whether the issue is resovled.

Regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

26 Haziran 2012 Salı 06:28
  • Using backupexec I backed up the Wsus folder on the C:\WSUS of the export server along with the metadata. 
    And there is your critical error. Please reinstall your disconnected server from scratch and use the procedures as documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide in the section titled Configure a Disconnected Network to Receive Updates.

30 Haziran 2012 Cumartesi 23:44
  • On my Connected network I have created a Hype-V (export server) installed SQLExpress and Wsus

Then on my disconnected network I installed sqlexpress and Wsus

Second question: Why did you use SQL Express instead of the built-in Windows Internal Database that ships with Windows Server 2008?

30 Haziran 2012 Cumartesi 23:45